Carpenters Misheard Lyrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never had much trouble with Karen's lyrics that a good pair of headphones couldn't sort out.

There's a guy on YouTube named Stevie Riks that parodies the Beegees "How deep is your rug" with all the misheard lyrics in that song. Radio station tweeted it today and it made me think of this thread. Uh, might not be for everyone.

Thanks sonf4u, I needed a good laugh after the day I had.

sorry, song4u, typo...
Never had much trouble with Karen's lyrics that a good pair of headphones couldn't sort out.

There's a guy on YouTube named Stevie Riks that parodies the Beegees "How deep is your rug" with all the misheard lyrics in that song. Radio station tweeted it today and it made me think of this thread. Uh, might not be for everyone.

This is absolutely hilarious!! The fact that he plays all three Gibb brothers in the video and emulates their vocals so well just takes it to a level above most parodies.

Even better is the (intentional?) irony. "How Deep Is Your Love" is one of the few Saturday Night Fever-era Bee Gee hits that actually has understandable lyrics. I've been trying to make out half of the lyrics to "Stayin' Alive," "Night Fever," "Tragedy" and a few others for over 30 years! LOL!!

Before I knew the lyric was "all the oldies but goodies" in "Yesterday once more" I thought it was "always, always got coodies". :razz:

At first hear I was perplexed by this line,
in the song:
Don't Cry For Me Argentina,
" Couldn't stay all my life down at heel..."
The prose was lost on my ears at the time....

One I'm just reminded of as I listen to it is on All You Get From Love Is A Love Song...

"Like sailing on a sailing ship to nowhere/Love to govern my heart like an ocean beeeze"

Took me years to figure out the real lyrics!

Not misunderstood, but it took me years to figure this one out...

"I want you back in my life again... I don't want to be your remember when"

And, for me,
I always hear in the second verse of
I Need To Be In Love,
"...I'm hangin' on a hoop, but I'm alright."

Me too!! I was just thinking about this the other day when the song came up on The Complete Singles. It really does sound like "hoop."

And to this day I still go back and forth as to whether it's eagles or seagulls that fly in "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song."

It's Beagles! :D

1690246_show_default.png

Harry

When I first noticed this thread, I thought it was almost sacrilegious to imply that Karen, who was the "gold standard" for enunciation in her singing, would not be understood. But then I realized that there have been instances in which my interpretations were incorrect. Case in point: "All You Get From Love Is a Love Song" - "Like sailing on a sailing ship to Norway," instead of "nowhere." I just assumed that "nowhere" made no sense. But we'll attribute it to faulty thinking on my part --- a lifelong hobby!

In the song Goofus, I always heard the lyric "Can't read notes, but I play anything by ear" as "Can't read notes, but I play anything I hear".
There were two in Your Wonderful Parade for me: one was instead of "Crumble down upon foundation that you've laid" as "Crumble down upon foundation that you've made". Very small, but it's still something.
The other one in the song was instead of "Meet your wife at cocktail time" I always heard "Meet your white at cocktail time", which makes no freaking sense, but I kinda just went along with it

Sorry, Geographer. Don't worry, in a couple of weeks you'll hear it as LEYS just like you always did.

Oh, btw. . .on Uninvited Guest I'm never sure what she sings on the line "I should leave you but "ahhheeuurrrdiiouuvvvv". . it doesn't make sense". I read somewhere the line is "but I'm still in love". . .that makes sense, but I don't know what Karen was going for with this particular line. I love her intimate reading of this favourite song of mine. . .her delivery rings so true. . .she just lapses into a "Still In Love With You" moment for this line and it takes me out of the music every time I hear it.

Neil

Neil, this made me crazy, too!!

"Love me for what I am for simply being me, don't love me if what you intend or hope that I will be".

Love Me For What I Am is a wonderful song but the abovementioned line bugged me for years as it was grammatically incorrect. I raised it on the Newville Avenue forum many years ago and there were those that heard for and those like me who heard if. More often than not these days I hear for (though it's still a bit iffy (sorry) the second time Karen sings the chorus). This version of the song (which is very good) suggests quite a few people hear if rather than for.

In the song Now, I always heard the line "No, I never really knew how, until now" as "No, I never really knew her, until now". Gosh darn it, mondegreens! :tsk:

How about some of the backing vocals along the way that left us all going "Huh?" Like in the chorus of What's The Use where Richard sings the backing vocal line where Karen starts to sing "to be somebody's slave for a dime". And again in Piano Picker where Richard sings "Yes after years and years of practice, ['Hanon, Czerny and Bach'] and awful allergies that make me sneeze..." These stumped me for years LOL

I post this one with a little hesitation, but it's good for a laugh. Upon the first few listens to Honolulu City Lights, I could have sworn Karen was singing "standing with their legs around my neck"! Of course, it was "leis", but I got a good laugh out of it. Her solo album had nothing on it that compared to those lyrics... :wink:

I post this one with a little hesitation, but it's good for a laugh. Upon the first few listens to Honolulu City Lights, I could have sworn Karen was singing "standing with their legs around my neck"! Of course, it was "leis", but I got a good laugh out of it. Her solo album had nothing on it that compared to those lyrics... :wink:

Fellow member ullalume thought the same thing :laugh:

As a 13 year old I wasn't aware of the Hawaiian custom of flower necklaces called LEYS. As a result on Honolulu City Lights I heard the line. . .

"Standing with their legs around my neck". I knew this couldn't be the line, but that's what I heard. . .and if that's how friends treat you in Honolulu, I can understand why "it's not easy to leave again".

These aren't lyrics, but I always end up calling Lovelines by Loveliness. Probably just from me reading it way too fast the first time I saw it, or my brain is half asleep. Probably both...:sweating:

While listening to Someday, sometimes I hear the lyrics "Someday always brings the good life you knew..." as "Sunday always brings the good life you knew..."

Man, I'm sensing a days of the week theme with song titles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom