Carpenters On The Dating Game! Lost Footage?

Hi there Carpenters fans! What an amazing forum I've stumbled upon. I've just spent the past couple hours reading through topics and threads on here, just diving in and admiring that there is a place for discussion regarding Karen and Richard Carpenter.

I'm having an issue locating some footage I have seen in the past and wanted to reach out here and see if any member of this board could help point me in the right direction. There used to be, in separate parts, the full episode of Karen and Richard Carpenter on the Dating Game TV Show from 1970 up on YouTube. I love this footage and find it quite entertaining. The other day I searched the episode on YouTube, only to find it has been almost entirely removed, much to my dismay. I've spent the past three days searching endlessly on the internet trying to find this footage, to no avail!

I'm posting this thread actually to take a shot in the dark, hoping that someone out there may know where this footage can still be accessed and viewed. If anybody has any leads, or any way they could help point me in the right direction, it would be immensely appreciated. This is some footage that needs to be preserved and not lost to oblivion. Anybody who could help, I would be forever grateful. Thanks so much in advance and keep listening to great, timeless music!

I remember The episode in question of the Dating Game I taped it off GSN back in 1999 which I believe was probably either the first time it was rerun or it was feared lost and was found since before the late 70s most daytime episodes were wiped ( erased) after airing shows that survived have become all the more special.

Hi there Carpenters fans! What an amazing forum I've stumbled upon. I've just spent the past couple hours reading through topics and threads on here, just diving in and admiring that there is a place for discussion regarding Karen and Richard Carpenter.

I'm having an issue locating some footage I have seen in the past and wanted to reach out here and see if any member of this board could help point me in the right direction. There used to be, in separate parts, the full episode of Karen and Richard Carpenter on the Dating Game TV Show from 1970 up on YouTube. I love this footage and find it quite entertaining. The other day I searched the episode on YouTube, only to find it has been almost entirely removed, much to my dismay. I've spent the past three days searching endlessly on the internet trying to find this footage, to no avail!

I'm posting this thread actually to take a shot in the dark, hoping that someone out there may know where this footage can still be accessed and viewed. If anybody has any leads, or any way they could help point me in the right direction, it would be immensely appreciated. This is some footage that needs to be preserved and not lost to oblivion. Anybody who could help, I would be forever grateful. Thanks so much in advance and keep listening to great, timeless music!
Welcome to the boards! Love your username, by the way. :D

Welcome to the boards! Love your username, by the way. :D
Hello Everyone! Believe it or not, I was in the studio audience the day Karen Carpenter was on "The Dating Game"! I was around 14 years old, and my parents and I met up with my Mom's brother and wife who lived in L.A. They said it would be fun to go to a TV taping. None of us barely knew who she was, but I distinctly remember them playing "Close to You" and saying here's a new rising star in music, Karen Carpenter. I wish it was yesterday once more...

Welcome new members! There used to be the segment of "The Dating Game" on which the Carpenter's appeared on a Facebook fan site but the video has been disabled for some reason. I love the way Karen walks out on the stage when she meets Jim Lange. I just love the way Karen walks period! And I believe the world got their first glimpse of the famous Karen "eye-roll" on that show. Lucky you, Mr Piano, for being there in person! :cool:

Hello Everyone! Believe it or not, I was in the studio audience the day Karen Carpenter was on "The Dating Game"! I was around 14 years old, and my parents and I met up with my Mom's brother and wife who lived in L.A. They said it would be fun to go to a TV taping. None of us barely knew who she was, but I distinctly remember them playing "Close to You" and saying here's a new rising star in music, Karen Carpenter. I wish it was yesterday once more...

That's an amazing story!

Jeez, that was painful to watch. From the word "go", Karen seems to be thinking "How did I get talked into this?"

I had heard of this tape but hadn't seen it until now, thanks for this!

Did Karen actually go on this date? Was Richard chosen? It would be fun to know the second woman's reaction when she finds out one of them was Richard :wink:

Sync issue sorted guys, so here you go;

if you want to keep the clip, you can download it here;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13M48dyys2HHOjjFwb2mciTKsH81nfzv_/view?usp=sharing

Thank you, Mark! :) It was great to finally be able to watch this!

I had heard of this tape but hadn't seen it until now, thanks for this!

Did Karen actually go on this date? Was Richard chosen? It would be fun to know the second woman's reaction when she finds out one of them was Richard :wink:

I believe Richard did get chosen, but I’m not sure whether either of them actually went on their date. I’d be interested to find out though!

Thank you, Mark! :) It was great to finally be able to watch this!

I believe Richard did get chosen, but I’m not sure whether either of them actually went on their date. I’d be interested to find out though!
Richard was chosen I have the full show on tape, and I read somewhere (can’t remember where maybe fan letters) that neither went on their date.

Sincere apologies ladies and gentlemen, for deleting two videos.
I fixed a sound issue when I first noticed the audio was out of sync with the video. Thinking it was only on Karens portion, I corrected it and re-posted, however, when I played it back in full, I spotted another two places where it was the same.
So, what I`ve done, is fixed the issues, but what I`ve also done is shorten the clip to just Karens part, because the video was incomplete to start with and Richard didn't really say a lot and it wasn't obvious at the time, Richard had been picked, so given most of it is Karen, I`ve just used her portion.
@Kacfan

be nice to see that uploaded :wink:

anyway, here it is, for the last time hopefully;

I too have this episode on tape ( along with many others thanks to continually taping vintage GSN game shows) just Keep in mind many of these kind of episodes were Wiped ( erased and rerecorded) after broadcast in those days tape was hugely expensive but we can be thankful some of these Great video treasures have been preserved I did thought that it was possible Karen and Richard most likely just appeared on the Dating game ( as did many other celebrities) for publicity purposes and the fact that they didn't go on their dates kind of confirmed it for me but still it was quite a good show nonetheless

Just noticed that Karen picked Bachelor #2, based, apparently, solely on his accent LOL.

Karen looks uncomfortable to me, in much of this. I don't know if that's a bit of "stage fright" (being on a game show much different than performing on a stage behind her kit)or the silliness of it all, or both!

Back
Top Bottom