Carpenters Quadraphonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far and away my favorite TV moment from Carpenters, and definitely one of their all-time best. I also agree that it showcases both Karen and Richard's talents in every possible way. The vocals and harmonies are classic Carpenters.

I also remember watching 'Music, Music, Music' when it first aired, and taping the audio off the TV. Unfortunately, I realized after the show was over that my tape recorder stopped working properly just before this medley started! It felt like I'd been shot when I thought it was gone forever. LOL>> Little did I know one day I'd be able to watch it anytime I liked....and in even better quality thanks to motownboy than ever before.

Regarding the comments about 'Now' and 'You're Enough':

I really think this is a case of 'hindsight is 20/20'. People will pay extra close attention to these vocals in particular based on what we know now about Karen's condition at the time. I think if we listened to those songs WITHOUT knowing that, we might not even notice anything different. I still maintain she sounds better on those two songs than she does on anything from "Made In America" (not counting 'I Believe You' from '78). Her voice is upfront where it belongs, and she's singing in the old style. She sounds slightly strained on 'Now', but I also think it's because she was singing in a higher register than usual.

The same thing applies to casual viewers on You Tube when it comes to the video clips. People often comment on an early clip from 'The Carol Burnett Show' or 'Make Your Own Kind of Music', and they'll say something like, "She's so thin! Poor thing". Of course, diehards know Karen was in the best of health during the early part of their career, but people are LOOKING for it. If they weren't looking for it, it wouldn't even be mentioned.

Good point. I've heard people say the same about later clips also, and even though KC looks thin, she doesn't necessarily look sick. A friend of mine saw them at the London Palladium in '76. When I asked her if she remembered anything along those lines, she said that nobody knew anything about the illness in those days and so were not looking for it.

I still say someone like Victoria Beckham looks in worse shape nowadays than KC ever did in the 70s ...

I really think this is a case of 'hindsight is 20/20'. People will pay extra close attention to these vocals in particular based on what we know now about Karen's condition at the time. I think if we listened to those songs WITHOUT knowing that, we might not even notice anything different.

I do know that and I do not notice anything different, lol, nothing "missing from the timbre" as Randy Schmidt wrote in Little girl blue.

I have just upload three more Quadraphonic mixes to YouTube... Two of them are slightly re-tweaked postings from my old YT channel - "Goodbye To Love" (my absolute favorite Carpenters song) , & "We've Only Just Begun."

The third new upload is a new totally re-done video of "For All We Know" using a different video clip. I also re-did the audio for it using the version from Japanese Quad CD-4 "Singles 1969-73" LP. Previously I used the US Quad SQ-encoded (and much inferior) LP. I hope you enjoy them...

David
--------------------

FANTASTIC JOB, AS USUAL! Just primo. Thanks for another great one. I watched all three, and they look and sound amazing. I'm a big quad guy myself, so it's great to hear the CD-4 mix in such pristine clarity with equally clear video.

Thanks A&M Retro...:)

Though this is not a quadraphonic mix, I wanted to make sure to repost the five-song "Music, Music, Music" medley from the 1980 TV special with remastered sound... This is for me, the Carpenters at their very best! The other quadraphonic mixes will be following soon...

Thank you for this posting this from "Music, Music, Music." Fantastic! What a privilege it would be to see this special in it's entirety. Going to check out your YouTube channel now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom