1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Carpenters Stereo, Mono & CSG

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Rick-An Ordinary Fool, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Quadraphonic The Singles 69-73. Just spun the single quad version of Close to You and loved a different mix to start my day.

2. Brian

Brian Active Member

I agree. It also brings to mind that a lot of education systems around the world, (maybe all education systems), don't allow people the opportunity to shine and demonstrate their ability and potential. I recall that a teacher of Karen and Richard called them 'average students' in print or in a live interview, yet Richard in particular, (probably Karen, too, with her drumming), has demonstrated that he has strong intelligence of a certain type. He also sounds to me in interviews as if he's intelligent, generally. I believe the education system in the US, like a lot of places, was quite test-driven in the past, (and maybe still is). That means lots of chalk and talk, being put to sleep by the teacher, lots of thought control and action control, regurgitating of facts and cramming. Memorising facts and regurgitating them in tests actually exercises one of the lower forms of intelligence. That is, you don't have to be particularly bright to succeed. You just need to be a particular type of thinker, (or non-thinker), prepared to be told what to think and what to do, to be a good listener and be prepared to put time in memorising things. Assessments of whether a person is intelligent or not, particularly back then, would largely depend on the intelligence of the person making the judgement and their ability to perceive the talents of the person they were looking at. Thank goodness Karen and Richard later hit a music department that obviously enthused them and gave them the opportunity to demonstrate what they were capable of and to be creative. We probably have a lot to be thankful for towards Frank Pooler and the other people in the Downey music department in the 60s. I apologise for seeming completely off topic for this thread. However, being aware of Richard clearly demonstrating his intelligence in a number of ways, as in this article and with these areas of his work, and remembering him being described as an average student, therefore, nothing 'out of the box', brought all this to mind.