Carpenters "The Nation's Favourites" compilation coming in the UK

Forbes:
"Ward Thomas are just one of six new titles in the top 10 this week, which makes this frame a particularly busy one.
Behind the country-loving sisters comes The Nation’s Favorite Carpenters Songs, a new collection from beloved duo The Carpenters.
The CD is connected to a documentary that aired last week about the two musicians, which apparently sparked plenty of interest."

Source:
For The First Time Ever, A U.K. Country Act Has The No. 1 Album Across The Pond »

BBC:
"Ward Thomas's success robs indie star Jamie T of his first number one album, the two acts having been in close competition throughout the week.
Yet Jamie T eventually had to settle for third place, with a new compilation of The Carpenters' greatest hits overtaking his record at the last minute."

Source:
Country duo Ward Thomas top UK album chart - BBC News »

Nicky Chinn and Paul Gambaccini did say in the show that UK loved the Carpenters from day 1, nothing changed.

BTW the whole show is repeated on the main ITV channel next Tuesday, maybe even more fans after that.

Yet, another news outlet report:
Carpenters Album Opens at Number 2 in the U.K.; Streisand to 4; Divine Comedy Debuts at 7 ~ VVN Music »

"In another great week on the U.K. Albums chart, veteran artists have taken for of the top ten positions."
"Debuting at number 2 is the The Nation's Favourite Carpenters Songs, a new twenty song compilation with songs voted on by the British public.
Results, which include nineteen of their hits and the album cutJambalaya (On the Bayou), will also be presented on an upcoming ITV special."
"The new album is also the top seller on the Physical Albums."

Bought it. The booklet has made it all worthwhile. A fairly detailed history about how they started and a question and answer section with Richard. Like the colour of the cd cover and they've used the Horizon and As Time Goes By photos inside. Feeling better now.

For All We Know has just started and sounds like it was recorded yesterday.

Here is the commentary from the official Charts Company on the album's sales. Sales aren't that high at just over 11,000, but this is a feature of the UK charts at present (to give it some context, the Gold compilation sold nearly 30,000 copies to debut at No. 21 in the more competitive run up to Christmas market in 2000). Ironically, the easy availability of the Gold compilation actually stopped The Nation's Favourite compilation getting to No. 1 this week by diverting some of the sales:

Ward Thomas' success denies the first sibling duo to have a No.1 - The Carpenters - from securing their third. Comprising brothers Richard and Karen - who died in 1983 from cardiac arrest after suffering from anorexia nervosa - The Carpenters are the most successful male/female duo of all-time, and topped the chart with The Singles 1969-1973 - No.1 for 17 weeks in 1974 - and again in 1975 with studio album Horizon spending five weeks at the summit. Their new compilation, The Nation's Favourite Carpenters Songs, powers to a No.2 debut (11,154 sales) following the screening of ITV's identically-titled celebration of the group that aired last weekend. Had it not split sales with their Gold: Greatest Hits set - a 2005 No.4 album which re-enters at No.53 (1,812 sales) and has career sales of 1,335,586 - it could have been No.1 The 20 tracks that made the list of The Nation's Favourite Carpenters Songs are all included on the album, which is the 24th Carpenters album to make the Top 75, of which 11 are compilations. The shock conclusion of the show, incidentally, was that the UK's favourite Carpenters recording is....Please Mr. Postman. A rather bland remake of The Marvelettes' song, its real status is probably more accurately reflected by the fact that it is the sixth biggest seller/streamer among Carpenters tracks in the last 12 months according to OCC data, and the ninth most-played Carpenters song on UK radio in the same period, according to Radio Monitor. OCC and Radio Monitor concur on the top two Carpenters hits, with Close To You at No.1 and We've Only Just Begun at No.2 on OCC, and the positions reversed on Radio Monitor. Either way, Please Mr. Postman gets less than half the plays and sales of either, and its position atop the ITV list is questionable. It is interesting that Richard Carpenter, whose contributions to the programme were key, passes no comment on Please Mr. Postman's lofty achievement.

fantastic news on this album. their music is timeless and this popularity dos`nt surprise me at all. the more this music is played, the more from this generation and the next, will learn to appreciate it. brilliant, I`m really happy for them, such a shame Karen isn't around to enjoy it!

Ironically, the easy availability of the Gold compilation actually stopped The Nation's Favourite compilation getting to No. 1 this week by diverting some of the sales.

After seeing that Gold had resurfaced too, that thought also crossed my mind. What a shame.

However - and this may be key - the show is being broadcast again on ITV this coming Tuesday evening at 10.40pm, which means that the compilation stands a good chance of inching up to the #1 position next week, due to the sustained publicity push. Here's hoping.

It is interesting that Richard Carpenter, whose contributions to the programme were key, passes no comment on Please Mr. Postman's lofty achievement.

That's because he doesn't believe it is their best. He's said before that it galls him to think this song made it ahead of tracks like Yesterday Once More as their biggest seller.

I've said that my heart belongs to the Carpenters... but I think they've got my wallet too! :D Trying to resist acquiring this collection is so very hard. I don't think I can hold out much longer -- I already want it for the cover and the booklet.

ITV Wales has decided not to transmit the show, instead we have The Fantastic Mr Dahl.
My limited recollection of Welsh lessons has enabled be to say hello, goodbye, that I either like or dislike coffee, ask if I can go to the toilet, and count to 10. I have a vague recollection the word for daft is twp. I think the word could be applied to ITV Wales' decision on this occasion.

My limited recollection of Welsh lessons has enabled be to say hello, goodbye, that I either like or dislike coffee, ask if I can go to the toilet, and count to 10. I have a vague recollection the word for daft is twp. I think the word could be applied to ITV Wales' decision on this occasion.
I do understand that Roald Dahl has a greater Welsh connection than Carpenters, but Wales is famous for being the land of song, and Carpenters should come first!

Has this been posted to our Resource section? I'm wondering what mixes are on this set.

Not yet. I'm still awaiting my copy for verification of the mixes. My early attempt at identifying them from online samples is on page 5 of this thread, but I can't trust online samples well enough to add to the Resource.

After seeing that Gold had resurfaced too, that thought also crossed my mind. What a shame.

However - and this may be key - the show is being broadcast again on ITV this coming Tuesday evening at 10.40pm, which means that the compilation stands a good chance of inching up to the #1 position next week, due to the sustained publicity push. Here's hoping.

That's because he doesn't believe it is their best. He's said before that it galls him to think this song made it ahead of tracks like Yesterday Once More as their biggest seller.
I have a feeling that Richard was asked for his comments on all the songs voted for ( plus perhaps some others ) without actually being told what their position was in the poll. He doesn't actually make any comment at all about of the songs being in their relevant position. Perhaps the poll hadn't even been finalised when he was interviewed.

I have a feeling that Richard was asked for his comments on all the songs voted for ( plus perhaps some others ) without actually being told what their position was in the poll. He doesn't actually make any comment at all about of the songs being in their relevant position. Perhaps the poll hadn't even been finalised when he was interviewed.
You may be right, I didn't think about it that way. I wonder when his interview was filmed.

Not yet. I'm still awaiting my copy for verification of the mixes. My early attempt at identifying them from online samples is on page 5 of this thread, but I can't trust online samples well enough to add to the Resource.
Look forward to your review and update to the resource site.

Nicky Chinn and Paul Gambaccini did say in the show that UK loved the Carpenters from day 1, nothing changed.

BTW the whole show is repeated on the main ITV channel next Tuesday, maybe even more fans after that.
I hope ITV repeat this show as soon as possible and hopefuuly more people will see it and then buy the cd and catapult the Carpenters into no 1 position where they belong

Back
Top Bottom