📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else besides me think to myself while seeing videos like this of Richard's original acetates and test pressings that "this is the legacy" we're looking at in these boxes. It's incredible to think about it.

I’m with you there! I paused the video and scrutinised the titles on those acetates and test pressings. I’ve seen from another interview clip that there are literally walls full of stuff like this in his home.

Carpenters returns with vinyl remasters of hit albums
Originally published November 16, 2017 at 2:16 pm Updated November 16, 2017 at 2:17 pm
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. (AP) —
"Fans of the Carpenters are about to have a dozen reasons to be on top of the world."
"Twelve of the best-selling duo’s albums have been remastered and pressed on high-quality vinyl."
“Carpenters — The Vinyl Collection,” which includes their hits “We’ve Only Just Begun” and “Top of the World,”
will be released on Friday."
"Richard Carpenter says "the new releases lack the pops and other noises of records from yesteryear."
"The remastering process required him to go back and listen to the music he and his sister Karen
created decades ago."
"..... the process has reminded him “just how marvelously talented” his sister was."

See:

Originally published November 16, 2017 at 2:16 pm Updated November 16, 2017 at 2:17 pm
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. (AP) —
"Fans of the Carpenters are about to have a dozen reasons to be on top of the world."
"Twelve of the best-selling duo’s albums have been remastered and pressed on high-quality vinyl."
“Carpenters — The Vinyl Collection,” which includes their hits “We’ve Only Just Begun” and “Top of the World,”
will be released on Friday."
"Richard Carpenter says "the new releases lack the pops and other noises of records from yesteryear."
"The remastering process required him to go back and listen to the music he and his sister Karen
created decades ago."
"..... the process has reminded him “just how marvelously talented” his sister was."

See:
Thanks Gary for the link.

Richard sure looks great and that photo was just taken 3 days ago. He has always worn that watch as well, looks like a Seiko.

Great to see this “promo” for the vinyl set pop up. I spotted amongst those acetates and other things on his shelves something that had “Richard Carpenter / Petula Clark” on it, as well as what looked like an acetate or test pressing of Christmas songs including Jingle Bells, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town and Carol Of The Bells.

I also stopped the tape and could see masters for:
Your Navy Presents (2) looks like 1971
Seiko Christmas Morn and Christmas Turned Blue
Sing (Karaoke Mix) Oct 13, 2003

Wow! How nice it is to see Richard. I feel like it's been forever. I'd like to think we have a nice Carpenters renaissance like the one that came after Love Songs, but I'm dreaming.

So I had planned on not getting this release. But since the photos of it look so amazing and since we have Richard's blessing, I think I have to now.

Great to see this “promo” for the vinyl set pop up. I spotted amongst those acetates and other things on his shelves something that had “Richard Carpenter / Petula Clark” on it, as well as what looked like an acetate or test pressing of Christmas songs including Jingle Bells, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town and Carol Of The Bells.

Here’s the direct link:

I also noticed that some of the tapes seemed to be on AMPEX as well. Considering the recent discussions concerning the remixing of Christmas Portrait. Of course those tapes were also dated from early-1990 (and the titles just said “The Carpenters A&M”), so I wonder how well they still play, and what’s on them.

It looks like a Cartier to me... although Seiko did make a Cartier-style model back in the day.

Chris May, did you ever happen to notice the make of Richard's watch? :laugh:

Richard has been a Cartier man for years!

And a funny story speaking of Richard and watches. About 12 years ago I was at a dinner event at the Carpenters Performing Arts Center in Long Beach and sat with some of the family, along with Richard’s assistant as well as friend Mike Ragogna (then his compilations producer at Universal). For whatever reason the watch Richard was wearing that night must have started to lag, because I kid you not, he took that thing off to wind it and spent the better part of 10 minutes or longer winding that thing up, setting it down, then picking it up again. After 4 or 5 winding sessions he was finally satisfied with the fact that the watch had probably been wound enough and was now working again! OCD at its finest LOL

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think of it when you get it ! I feel reassured after the new video of Richard talking about the mastering of this set. He sounded like he was really behind it ! Especially that he talks about it sounded original but with the elimination of the popping and clicking sounds. It could be the greatest sounding collection of vinyl we have ever heard !

Let's hope Universal didn't "cheap out" like they have in the past, and let a lousy pressing plant handle it! (One only need remember the huge blowup over the stereo Beatles LPs that were pressed in the US at Rainbo...terrible quality. Scratches, scuffs, noisy vinyl...horrible. That is what drove most of us to buy these sets from the UK, since they used a better pressing plant.) They totally ruined their Dire Straits remaster program in the EU by having GZ Vinyl press it; as I mentioned earlier, my two copies of On Every Street came with numerous scuffs and scratches, some of them very audible.

With all of the good pressing plants out there today, and given the effort with this set, let's hope selection of a pressing plant was also top on the quality list here. I will be anxious to hear how well they have done with this! :)

I just got my fed ex tracking for shipment won't get it till next week. I couldn't pass this one up after seeing Richard talk about the mastering process. $153.00 w/free shipping and no tax is a great deal.

"You gotta wait a minute. Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Wait a minute!"

Gosh the 8th December seems so long away for me, by that time this set will have be examined and commented upon till the cows come home!. I’m pretty envious, why they couldn’t do a Worldwide release in this day and age escapes me?.
Most albums I’ve bought recently have come out at similar dates?, three weeks wait is going to be hard to take. If the comments are favourable then this won’t be an issue, as I’ll be more than happy if it gets glowing reviews from you good folk?.
For me this is so exciting, I mean a Carpenters vinyl boxed set it seems to great to contemplate and now it’s nearly here!.

Last edited:
Mine just arrived. Speaking of OCD...first thing I noticed is that the placement of the album titles on the spines doesn't match the original issues (they're centered on the new LPs, whereas many were placed at the top of the spine on the original albums). Overall the recreation of the artwork looks pretty impressive. It's been so long since I've seen copies that weren't yellowed and scuffed, that alone is a bit of a rush. The cover photo on "Horizon" has a noticeable dot texture that wasn't on the original, but the others look pretty good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom