📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never forget, I think it was last Christmas or around Thanksgiving and Barnes & Noble were selling all these turntables in their music dept and even out on the main floor. For a moment I stood there and had a flashback lol. I can only imagine the people that bought those and picked up an LP in their store brought it home and said wow..this sounds better than anything I've heard in years. I agree it's not just those that grew up with vinyl that making vinyl comeback, some of its the public young or old that realize this stuff really does sound good.

it's worth putting up with the odd click etc for vinyl, it sounds the best. especially original vinyl, the remasters can sound a bit harsh sometimes

I have gotten so use to hearing my Cd in the car. When i put on my vinyl again and used the headphones, I couldn’t believe everything that I had been missing. Instruments and sounds that i hadn’t heard in years.

I have gotten so use to hearing my Cd in the car. When i put on my vinyl again and used the headphones, I couldn’t believe everything that I had been missing. Instruments and sounds that i hadn’t heard in years.
Now try listening to your CD at home, through the same headphones, and I'd bet that you'll hear these same instruments and sounds. The car is not an ideal place to listen to music. Engine and road noise will mask a lot of detail.

I admit that I haven't played a vinyl record in several years. I still have all my vinyl, and turntables - none of which are functioning - they either need new belts, or a stylus, or a cartridge, or all three to get them back into service. I remember how good vinyl could sound - if you got a good clean pressing it was sublime - but also how frustrating it was when, even after cleaning a disk meticulously, it would still crackle, pop, skip, and the worst of all, have groove noise and distortion (especially on the innermost track). Being the perfectionist that I am, the slightest flaw or anomaly would drive me nuts. Digital music has it's own shortcomings, but I've gotten so used to the convenience, that I don't think I would want to go back to vinyl... OK, once in a blue moon for nostalgia's sake might be nice... anyone know of a good source for turntable parts? :laugh:

Now try listening to your CD at home, through the same headphones, and I'd bet that you'll hear these same instruments and sounds. The car is not an ideal place to listen to music. Engine and road noise will mask a lot of detail.

I admit that I haven't played a vinyl record in several years. I still have all my vinyl, and turntables - none of which are functioning - they either need new belts, or a stylus, or a cartridge, or all three to get them back into service. I remember how good vinyl could sound - if you got a good clean pressing it was sublime - but also how frustrating it was when, even after cleaning a disk meticulously, it would still crackle, pop, skip, and the worst of all, have groove noise and distortion (especially on the innermost track). Being the perfectionist that I am, the slightest flaw or anomaly would drive me nuts. Digital music has it's own shortcomings, but I've gotten so used to the convenience, that I don't think I would want to go back to vinyl... OK, once in a blue moon for nostalgia's sake might be nice... anyone know of a good source for turntable parts? :laugh:

I have an entire collection of near-perfect playing albums! Rarely a pop or scratch; almost never a skip...ever!

OK, once in a blue moon for nostalgia's sake might be nice... anyone know of a good source for turntable parts? :laugh:
LP Gear, or Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor, could probably hook you up. :thumbsup:

Or heck, just chuck all three and get a Clearaudio Innovation Wood with 12" arm, for a few thousand dollars less than the cost of a new Honda Gold Wing. :D

upload_2017-11-20_22-1-9.png

I've heard this one, and others like it, at AXPONA. Maybe in my next lifetime, eh? :wink:

I have an entire collection of near-perfect playing albums! Rarely a pop or scratch; almost never a skip...ever!
Most of my albums are near-perfect too, but there is the odd one that had problems. I remember exchanging the tan album a few times before I got an acceptable copy - the first two looked clean, but had terrible surface noise. I have three copies of Melissa Manchester's "Hey Ricky" album, and all of them have flaws on the same track (which of course is my favorite on the album). I have a couple of Linda Ronstadt albums that are very warped because they were shrink wrapped too tightly at the factory - I had to increase the tracking force to prevent the stylus being thrown out of the groove!

Recycled vinyl sometimes caused all sorts of problems. I know MCA Records in particular had problems with recycled vinyl--a few buyers even found small bits of ground-up label in the records! Motown used to use MCA for distribution and manufacturing in the early 80s, and that is the single worst label I have ever bought where I had to return many records just to get some that were acceptable. Even some of their promos were a little noisy.

That is why virgin vinyl got to be such a big deal after a while. New, not recycled. Records indeed played back with less noise.

LP Gear, or Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor, could probably hook you up. :thumbsup:

Or heck, just chuck all three and get a Clearaudio Innovation Wood with 12" arm, for a few thousand dollars less than the cost of a new Honda Gold Wing. :D

upload_2017-11-20_22-1-9.png

I've heard this one, and others like it, at AXPONA. Maybe in my next lifetime, eh? :wink:
:yikes: Holy crap Rudy, how thick is the platter on that thing? It looks like it could play through an earthquake and never skip a beat! Given a choice between the two, I think I'd go with the Gold Wing. I'm due for a midlife crisis. :laugh:

Thanks for the vendor recommendations. I'll check them out.

:yikes: Holy crap Rudy, how thick is the platter on that thing? It looks like it could play through an earthquake and never skip a beat! Given a choice between the two, I think I'd go with the Gold Wing. I'm due for a midlife crisis. :laugh:

Thanks for the vendor recommendations. I'll check them out.
That platter...I think it is 70mm (2.75 inches), although it looks thicker. It is sitting on a stainless steel subplatter that probably adds another 15mm. Total weight of the turntable (without tonearm and power supply) is 24kg/52 pounds. That mass does add a lot of stability, which results in lower background noise and a lot of clarity in playback. (The massive platter has a "flywheel" effect.)

I hear you on the Gold Wing, though! :wink: I've considered getting a Silver Wing or Suzuki Burgman (both are "maxi scooters"), but around these streets and drivers here, it's a death wish to ride around on two wheels without a "cage" around me.

Most of my albums are near-perfect too, but there is the odd one that had problems. I remember exchanging the tan album a few times before I got an acceptable copy - the first two looked clean, but had terrible surface noise. I have three copies of Melissa Manchester's "Hey Ricky" album, and all of them have flaws on the same track (which of course is my favorite on the album). I have a couple of Linda Ronstadt albums that are very warped because they were shrink wrapped too tightly at the factory - I had to increase the tracking force to prevent the stylus being thrown out of the groove!

I guess I’ve been lucky. I too love Melissa’s albums. Mine play quite nicely. Not sure if I ever noticed anything wrong with my Hey Ricky. I do agree, though; there are occasional manufacturing defects.

Vinyl remasters a reminder of the Carpenters' reach
Excerpts:
Vinyl remasters a reminder of the Carpenters’ reach
" Carpenter didn’t directly oversee the remastering process but approved every LP."
" Carpenter said he rarely listens to Carpenters recordings for pleasure."
" He said he does occasionally pull out a personal Carpenters favorite,
among his is the the smash hit “For All We Know” (1971)."
----
His takeaway?
“Just how marvelously talented Karen was,” he said.
“Karen was a true, an honest-to-God singer,” he said.
“Before any auto-tuning or anything else, that’s us — and so, really,
especially Karen’s voice. But the whole Carpenters sound is,
I hope, appreciated for just how marvelous it is.

^This.

This is what goes through my head - those inflated "values" later on after it goes out-of-print.

But I also consider: I bought all of the original albums and still have them, some in multiple copies. So when the first A&M CDs came out, why did I buy them? Easy. They were on a new digital format with "perfect sound forever." They had their failings, mostly a few single versions of songs instead of the album tracks.

Then the many compilations and box sets came out on CD, and these offered new remixes of songs along the way, plus the occasional new song like "Trying To Get The Feeling Again". Those were natural purchases. There were a few here and there that didn't offer anything new, but before the Internet's popularity, there was no way of knowing. And in truth, almost every compilation had something new and unique about.

In 1998, the Remastered Classics series hit the store shelves. I could have ignored several of those, but I thought that a complete set would be better, so I sought out the harder-to-find ones like INTERPRETATIONS and LOVELINES. These CDs were true to the original album sounds without remixes or single versions and so represented the first time in the digital age that the old albums were authentically released on CD. That was important to me.

Next came the 35th Anniversary box set in Japan, and it represented the same exact CDs that came in the Remastered Classics, but packaged in authentic mini-album packaging, all neatly tucked inside a box. Again, this was something I had to have.

Five years later, a 40th anniversary set came and went, and I passed on that. I was getting ready to retire from my job and didn't feel that there was enough of an impetus to get me to buy that set. There were no mini-LP CDs, just book-type packaging. The masters used were still the same. The only really extra in that set was possibly some liner notes and the commentary track on the DVD. That wasn't enough for me to spend so much to buy it.

The Public Broadcasting Singles Set (and the earlier Japanese Single Box) were opportunities to get all of the single recordings in order and largely in their proper versions on CD. We know now that both have their problems, but they serve their purpose.

Now here we are with album reissues on vinyl. It feels like back to square one for me. I still have my vinyl. It didn't go anywhere. And I still refer to it once in awhile, like on the "B'wana..." controversy. But mostly, I listen to digitized versions on my computer or phone or mp3 player, or still on CDs in the car. If I don't have this new box set, will I regret it? Is there some sonic treasure awaiting me on it? Or is it just a packaging treasure?

It's still too early to tell. If I miss out on it, so be it. I'm still retired and don't have scads of cash to spare on such things. Future value? I can't see me selling ANY of this. Ever. I'll die first and then won't care where it goes.

I want more reviews from some that I trust.

Great story there is always a fan out there waiting to take care even better the collection of someone :) Regards

An interesting article yesterday in the New York Times:

Opinion | Our Love Affair With Digital Is Over

I am 25 years old, I was born at the time when the vinyl almost disappeared.
There is always this discussion that sounds better, if the cd or vinyl, I have several lp of Japanese and sound pretty good, but last year I bought "The Carpenters Gold Greatest Hits K2 HD" and I am still impressed with how clean and vivacious it sounds then it comes back to my mind if it's something generational or really from the act of seeing a spinning vinyl, but from my point of view, listening to Karen's voice as clean as possible with new instrumentation is something sublime ...:whistle:

I am 25 years old, I was born at the time when the vinyl almost disappeared.
There is always this discussion that sounds better, if the cd or vinyl, I have several lp of Japanese and sound pretty good, but last year I bought "The Carpenters Gold Greatest Hits K2 HD" and I am still impressed with how clean and vivacious it sounds then it comes back to my mind if it's something generational or really from the act of seeing a spinning vinyl, but from my point of view, listening to Karen's voice as clean as possible with new instrumentation is something sublime ...:whistle:
Agreed.
Regardless of format, when all is said and done, it comes down to what was recorded, not how you play it back. (Heck! When I was young I really DID first listen to many of these song on the AM radio — and loved them.)
But also don’t forget Carpenters was a BAND.
Yes, Karen’s voice is eternal and invaluable. But so is Richard’s arranging-writing-playing-conducting-song selection, Tony Peluso’s guitar work, Hal Blaine’s drumming, Bob Messenger’s sax and flute work, Roger Young’s engineering, Herb Alpert’s cheerleading, much more and many others ...
The Carpenters sound took a village. Flip over/open the CD/Lp/cassette/8-track/open reel and pay homage to ALL of those who lived there and got together to make the magic.

Still on the quest to find these darn LPs. Nobody seems to have them, or the box set, around here-- I only saw "The Singles 69-73". I only visited two or three places, but I neither have the ability nor the time to hop all over the state, ya know. :laugh:

If push comes to shove, I'll probably order them online after the holidays.

Agreed.
Regardless of format, when all is said and done, it comes down to what was recorded, not how you play it back. (Heck! When I was young I really DID first listen to many of these song on the AM radio — and loved them.)
But also don’t forget Carpenters was a BAND.
Yes, Karen’s voice is eternal and invaluable. But so is Richard’s arranging-writing-playing-conducting-song selection, Tony Peluso’s guitar work, Hal Blaine’s drumming, Bob Messenger’s sax and flute work, Roger Young’s engineering, Herb Alpert’s cheerleading, much more and many others ...
The Carpenters sound took a village. Flip over/open the CD/Lp/cassette/8-track/open reel and pay homage to ALL of those who lived there and got together to make the magic.

Great and I think this sound and group opinions depend a lot on the personal and historical social context of each person, as I say I met the carpenters with the carpenters gold dvd in 2004 and my approach was with the voice of Karen, of course richard is a great composer and genius of the group as well as the guitarist, drummer, bassist among others, but from my personal and recent perspective it was and will be the voice and interpretation of karen that makes magic in me. regards :rimshot:

Vinyl remasters a reminder of the Carpenters' reach
Excerpts:
Vinyl remasters a reminder of the Carpenters’ reach
" Carpenter didn’t directly oversee the remastering process but approved every LP."
" Carpenter said he rarely listens to Carpenters recordings for pleasure."
" He said he does occasionally pull out a personal Carpenters favorite,
among his is the the smash hit “For All We Know” (1971)."
----
His takeaway?
“Just how marvelously talented Karen was,” he said.
“Karen was a true, an honest-to-God singer,” he said.
“Before any auto-tuning or anything else, that’s us — and so, really,
especially Karen’s voice. But the whole Carpenters sound is,
I hope, appreciated for just how marvelous it is.
It says he didn't oversee the mastering but approved of every LP. It's still not clear to me because it says he doesn't listen to their music. So did he actually listen to each of these new LPs? Or maybe a song or 2 off each album? Or is this saying he approved the use of all the albums being used in this collection but not really listening to the final product? I wish we had more clarity on this from Richard. I know I'm too analytical. Lol

And you, of course, are right: Everyone should enjoy and appreciate in their own way. My apologies if I didn’t convey that.

That's the great thing because sometimes it's subjective this sound and format because in that sense as I said before the personal and historical brand, maybe for you the vinyl sound more natural, but perhaps it is something that is referred to when placing the disc , a great and beautiful cover or even the noise that is heard when they begin to grate. In this same example my generation mostly not all, that is more than a fashion or the same CD is thought "so that if you buy it is grated, it is out of style and can not be on my cell phone" then more than the sound returns an experience, a mix of feelings of how to live and capture that music, that untouchable in something physical, in a modern world where everything is virtual and every day the physical is perishing or simply no longer serves for space and the advancement of technology that every day makes us more comfortable in our daily act ....... (Sorry for my English I speak spanish :rolleyes:)Regards :):):wave:

I know I'm too analytical. Lol
Yep. :D

It's one thing to listen to a product to approve its release, but that is not exactly the "pleasure" part of listening. He did compare test pressings of the originals to the new ones, and that requires the analytical side of listening.

I would think that when he wants to listen to music, he is saying he probably listens to everything else except his own work. And I get his point. You can work something to death and really have no desire to listen to it all that often. I hit that wall myself. In photo retouching, for instance, I could work on a group of photos for an entire day, then I really don't want to see them again for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom