📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today I am going to replace the inner sleeves on the set with MoFi original master sleeves. If they have the heavier inner sleeves, I am going to put those beside the new sleeves in the jacket and I purchased Groove Vinyl Jimmy Hats outer record sleeves. Yay!!!

Target Stores--online--has this set at $160,
I'm tempted--but, will pass until I hear of the reviews.
I am interested in the audio--the 'newness' of the artwork is of no interest to me,
I want to know how it all sounds:
(1) Especially--Made In America !
Have the vocals been brought forward in the mix compared to the 1981 LP ?
(2) How about A Song For You LP--has that 1972 'creaking door' sound been removed ?
(3) How about Passage--much talk about its 1977 muddled-ness, how does that sound here ?

(1) Especially--Made In America !
Have the vocals been brought forward in the mix compared to the 1981 LP ?

That would have involved a remix of the tracks and since Richard hasn't gone anywhere near this project except to "OK" the final vinyl sound, it's safe to say that won't be the case.

That would have involved a remix of the tracks and since Richard hasn't gone anywhere near this project except to "OK" the final vinyl sound, it's safe to say that won't be the case.

And to piggyback on that, mastering can do wonders with existing mixes when you have the right mastering engineer, as EQ has so much to do with the way a final mix gets polished. As the technology improves, so should the mastering (to some extent generally).

So the vinyl sleeves I bought say “for 120 gram”. They fit on this set. Will it hurt the albums to use these or should I order some for 180 gram???? Please advise.
Jonathan

Sleeves marked with 120 gram? I've never seen that, but I also wouldn't worry about it. I've had hundreds of "rice paper" sleeves through here over the years and they have all been fine. Even if they appear thin, they have held any record I have used them on.

Thank you. These are the outer vinyl sleeves. They seem to fit fine. I have the openings at the top. For the Singles, N&T and Passage, they fit better with opening st the side. Of course they don’t fit in the box anymore, but I have music books, sheet music etc that I think I will put in the box.

Oh, the outer sleeves around the jackets? Gotcha. No worries. They make some slightly larger to fit the thicker record packaging, or gatefolds. I have a few 180 gram releases that contain 3 LPs and they take sleeves that are slightly larger than normal. As long as the jacket slides easily into the sleeve, you are OK. Tight fitting sleeves, or even cellophane, can be dangerous. I have never seen sleeves shrink in the past, but I have seen cellophane shrink over the years and get a little too tight around the jacket, which could warp the record. But if the sleeve fits the jacket easily, no worries!

More audio Reviews ?

Some folks are pointing out a printing goof for
" The Singles 1969-1973 " Booklet....too bad....

^^Titles of these songs, as printed on the lyric page :
Sing...Yesterday Once More...Top Of The World,
are unreadable.

Just got done listening to the complete box set, first A+ on packaging! Wonderful reproductions of my originals. AS for sound, I must say that a couple albums needed cleaning with loud pops in a few spots but after that, YES! Great pressing with reproductions of original labels. This was put together well, just wish the was a book of some sort. Well done A&M! ume...

Presently six copies on Amazon for $160, free shipping.
Now....if I could get more audio reviews I would be on board !
Given the hype surrounding the release, I will purchase if I read
details regarding the sound quality of the individual albums .....
without more reviews I will pass......

I was able to break open my Vinyl box set early. I had some time today to clean up the first album and give it a spin and comparing it to my original TTR SP 4205 along with my original Offering WLP. I've uploaded some pics of the box set before before I opened the plastic along with some other pics after. I kept the plastic on the TTR album until I get some outer poly sleeves which I have on order since I had run out.

The artwork on the box set and first album (have not opened or looked at the others yet) seem very good. If you notice they have removed all traces of the catalog # SP 4205 even removing it from the very bottom footnotes on the back of the LP. "This album was previously released...." The label and hole are perfect yet the first thing I noticed was the label right near the hole is slightly ripped on side 1 but it's not that big of a deal to me.

I clean this 3 times with my record doctor machine for both sides and the overall pressing is pretty quiet, in fact side 1 was so quiet I was amazed. The only issue I have with noise is on side 2 with the first track, Ticket To Ride. It's only on the first min or so but there are some ticks and slight surface noise I just can't get out. It's about 1 min and 8 seconds into the song, I've re-cleaned it a few more times and think it might have helped a little but it's still there. After that first min and half the rest is really quiet like the rest of the album. However when I compared it to my other 2 original pressing from the 70's they have got some ticks as well during this track so it's not like my older 70's vinyl is perfect either. However except for this min or so on this track, this 180 gram pressing is really quiet and to me does exhibit some warmth and clarity is excellent. I remember saying to myself after side 1 that this was so quiet that THIS is how vinyl is suppose to sound, really nice.

I know most are wondering how this compares to the original analog pressings and I wasn't really expecting this to sound exactly like those pressings and I was right. However this is not an entire negative because some of those original analog albums can sound just a bit too bright only during some of the loud pieces yet I still prefer those analog pressings because the just sound better on the high ends. The 2017 pressings sound like the remastered classics to me but they offer more warmth than the CD counterparts.

I was doing a compare between the song Ticket To Ride on my
Offering white label promo LP
TTR SP 4205 LP
TTR 2017 vinyl collection LP
TTR 2017 Collected white vinyl LP

What I noticed is the WLP is the brightest of them all, the volume level just seems to be a tad bit louder than even the TTR SP 4205. It's slight but noticeable with headphones on. I tend to agree with Richard that some warmth and highs have been added with this new vinyl mastering vs over the remastered classics CD's and it sounds good but it's still missing some of the crispness and high end that the makes some of the vocals and instruments pop out more on the original analog pressings. When I compared the song TTR from the new vinyl box set to the Collected LP there was a noticeable difference in sound. The Collected LP is just mastered too low and exhibits a muddier sound, lacks highs. The Vinyl Box Set version is better and I can hear better highs but not the highs from the original pressings. So while I think the TTR album from the new Vinyl Box set is good for me it doesn't take the place of a really clean analog pressing from the 70's. I'm excited to see how the next album is going to sound.

I created some waveforms just for fun to see what they looked like between the 4 above.

I'll probably update this thread as I progress on to the rest of the albums from the vinyl collection.

Last edited:
These were taken under a light, the box is really bright white in color.
This shot shows off the raised logo, really nice!!
JuQrKes.jpg

Sticker before I opened the wrap
K0Z044W.jpg

Before opening the wrap, notice the slight dent on the tan album, otherwise it's perfect.
DtsqkH5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom