📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand why they ask you to destroy them?, sort of suggests they ain’t very trusting of people telling the truth. Surely pictures of damaged vinyl or mispressed vinyl should be enough for them?.

This is absolutely absurd in this day and age. One of Madonna's last Blu Ray releases was pressed incorrectly. It's such a shame because it does take away the magic of these releases.

I think all this is disgraceful in this modern day, I`m just glad I decided not to buy any of this rubbish! I did buy the double white `collected` album, but sent that back last week and got refunded, because the audio was terrible. I shall wait till next year now until they sort this rubbish out and in all honesty, wait for the prices to come down when they can`t sell them, because of the damage this has done! `collected` is already starting to drop like a rock :)

I think all this is disgraceful in this modern day, I`m just glad I decided not to buy any of this rubbish! I did buy the double white `collected` album, but sent that back last week and got refunded, because the audio was terrible. I shall wait till next year now until they sort this rubbish out and in all honesty, wait for the prices to come down when they can`t sell them, because of the damage this has done! `collected` is already starting to drop like a rock :)

Do not exaggerate :yikes:, I thought the same and my set box that arrived a week ago is perfect both in sound and in manufacturing, compared to the Japanese vinyl I have, they have nothing to envy, for me that was the first batch those that failed , regards.:)

` for me that was the first batch those that failed , regards.:)`

wow, one batch, I guess I shouldn't exaggerate :rolleyes:

Remember that at this time things are done at levels of industrial production, I remember 3 years ago I had a horrible experience with an HP brand notebook that came bad to me, they changed it and it came bad, in the end I opted for another brand, then a friend had the same notebook and even today it works wonders, I think today companies do not have the old quality standards in all areas ... :cry: luck, demands your right to change. Regards..

I'm still hoping to go through my retailer. I E-Mailed them a couple days ago and they got back to me saying that they are very busy right now and if it's an emergencey to call them but I'll wait until they get back to me. They are a really great honest company in Philadelphia (Soundstagedirect.com). I can imagine destroying the whole set and then never having UMG send replacements. That's very scary especially. Plus to destroy a whole set for only 2 bad copies is a shame. It should be cheaper fro them to send out a few copies instead of a 12 Lb set.
Karen

If you have a bad set from amazon just return it to them.
On each order you make with them there is a return date and you must return the item by that date to get a refund or replacement so theoretically if you order from amazon you should have no problems.

Remember when they had "Disco Demolition Night" at Comiskey Park in Chicago in 1979? Why not have "Carpenters Defective Vinyl Night"? Bring all your defective box sets to a prominent location, and completely trash them?!

Looks like the EU pressings of the vinyl albums is coming with an added bonus, is this happening elsewhere?

25348376_10210844906261041_9034808899027649207_n.jpg
Wow. This is really interesting (and somewhat tempting :laugh:). Is there a sound quality difference?

Destroying records...that's crazy...

:shake: All of these stories of people getting ripped off and bad vinyl is horrific. I was so depressed when I had to send my set back because of defective vinyl. Does anyone know of a place selling the repressed sets?

:shake: All of these stories of people getting ripped off and bad vinyl is horrific. I was so depressed when I had to send my set back because of defective vinyl. Does anyone know of a place selling the repressed sets?

It's already been confirmed by email from UMe that it will take 6-8 weeks before the replacements will be available. My advice is anyone looking should stop looking until after the middle of February as that is when re-pressings should make their way to retailers, it could be later. If you are rushing to get a set now you are running the risk of getting old stock that may not have been pulled as directed from UMe to retailers which could be defective like mine. You take the risk if you order now from anyone, re=pressing won't be available for 6-8 weeks.

As I stated before my box set is being returned to the retailer tomorrow for a full refund.

It's already been confirmed by email from UMe that it will take 6-8 weeks before the replacements will be available. My advice is anyone looking should stop looking until after the middle of February as that is when re-pressings should make their way to retailers, it could be later. If you are rushing to get a set now you are running the risk of getting old stock that may not have been pulled as directed from UMe to retailers which could be defective like mine. You take the risk if you order now from anyone, re=pressing won't be available for 6-8 weeks.

As I stated before my box set is being returned to the retailer tomorrow for a full refund.

That is very sound advice and I will for sure not be buying any copies of this until March April at the earliest now!, I would also say that potential purchasers shouldn’t buy elsewhere as you rightly say due to the risk of buying the damaged stock of this boxed set.

That’s if I ever get my refund for the two of already purchased and not received!.

Reactions: Sue
as I`ve said, I`m not buying this box-set just yet, but I couldn't help myself today and bought the new `now & then` release, so looking forward to a pristine copy. hopefully it dos`nt need hovering off, putting through a car wash etc before it will play :laugh:

Regarding the Problem with SpinCd here in the U.K. about this boxed set, after a week of endless emails to them and numerous phone calls they have refunded my purchase price. I wish they had done this without me having to continually contact them and consider reporting them to the relevant authorities. This doesn’t mean SpinCD haven’t got numerous issues but in the interest of fairness to them they have refunded me - eventually!. I will not ever buy from them though given these obvious problems.

Can I ask please if this has been recalled by Universal then why is it still widely for sale on sites such as Amazon USA ?, I’m confused and desperate to buy this as most must be who don’t have it?. I would have expected Amazon to be the first company to be asked to send them back?. Also it isn’t single sellers who are selling it Amazon themselves are selling it?, im definitely a little confused by this?. Is the procedure initiated by Universal as a forced recall or can Amazon USA say “no your not having your stock back we are going to sell what we have left of the ? Damaged stock” and take their chances with recalls to Amazon?. It’s all bewildering.

Also potentially after having to repress lots of sets, Universal may hike the price up to claw some money back for the cost of repressing all the damaged ones?.

The last review on Amazon USA comes across as positive?, so maybe the problem batch is out of the way now?.

Last edited:
I hate that you wonderful people are dealing with this. I still say you'd be in as good a shape if you just sniffed around on eBay, Discogs and similar sites and found earlier copies of these albums. I know factory-sealed copies of "A Kind of Hush", "Passage", "Made in America" and "Voice of the Heart" can easily be found that way. I'm also certain that very nice copies of "Horizon" and earlier can be found with some diligence.

Doing this might also yield better results sonically because the masters were younger when they were pressed.

Ed

I was tempted to buy Passage when I was flicking through the Carpenters vinyl albums in the HMV store. First time I have seen the album in it’s vinyl format, great cover, but I don’t have a turntable and I just cannot tolerate how careful you have to handle vinyl, so the album stayed in the rack for another customer.

I don’t understand why they ask you to destroy them?, sort of suggests they ain’t very trusting of people telling the truth. Surely pictures of damaged vinyl or mispressed vinyl should be enough for them?.
It’s most likely for copyright reasons. Even with CD’s, DVD’s and Blu-Rays that are either unsold (that the manufacturer doesn’t want back) or returned because of defects, the store is required to destroy the discs, usually with scissors or knives.

I did email back and thanked them for the response and said wasn’t there a way to only destroy the albums that were bad. It seems silly to destroy perfectly good albums just to get more albums. I don’t know.
Jonathan
I
Do not exaggerate :yikes:, I thought the same and my set box that arrived a week ago is perfect both in sound and in manufacturing, compared to the Japanese vinyl I have, they have nothing to envy, for me that was the first batch those that failed , regards.:)

My set ordered from Amazon and presumably a first batch (I received it on release date) is near perfect.

Carpenters - "Voice of the Heart" factory-sealed LP circa 80s

Carpenters - "Made in America" factory-sealed LP circa 80s

Carpenters - "Passage" factory-sealed LP circa 70s

Carpenters - "A Kind of Hush" factory-sealed LP circa 70s

Carpenters - "Horizon" EX vinyl/VG+ sleeve circa 70s

Carpenters - "Now and Then" EX vinyl/VG+ sleeve circa 70s

Carpenters "Tan" VG+ vinyl/VG+sleeve

Carpenters - "Close to You" factory-sealed LP circa 70s

Admittedly, the older the record is, the harder it is to find one in great shape but as predicted, "Hush" through "Voice" were easy to spot in sealed condition. I was quite surprised to see a sealed "Close to You". I didn't add "Ticket" because I couldn't find a good enough one to add here. Note too that I only spent a few minutes looking at eBay.

Hope this is helpful...

Ed

Im wondering what the possibilities of most of the sets being ok that are currently for sale!, I know this is hard to even consider but it would be good to know how many people on the site have bought this boxed set so far and are either completely happy with it or completely dismayed with it?. I’m getting so desperate to listen to this now I’m seriously considering ordering it from Amazon USA!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom