đź“Ł News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone on here is interested in the boxset I have one on eBay at ÂŁ110 plus postage .
It’s still sealed and the box is in perfect condition.
Obviously being sealed I have not inspected the LP’s but for this price it’s not bad value for 12 records.
Anyone on here who wants to take a chance send me a message and I will close the auction and give you a ÂŁ4 discount.

Hi Wayne.
Just seen there was a bid on it tonight so sorry for any confusion.
No one has taken any real interest in it until I mentioned it on here so all I can do is apologise again for misleading anybody.

Having listened to a couple albums I also own originals of, it's obvious that these new releases are indeed somewhat flat and digital sounding compared to the originals. Much of the soundstaging and "bloom" present on pressings from the 1970s is just missing in the new ones. To me Singles 1969-1973 is a great example of this; from the first minute of "We've Only Just Begun" something just seems missing as compared to older vinyl.

I know others would disagree, but it seems painfully obvious to me.

Fair point, but I’d take the new copy of 69/73 any day of the week against one which may have been played on a record player with poor stylus perhaps in years past?. I have a few copies of this album which look as good visually as the new pressing but when you place them on the turntable due to age and related issues the difference is apparent. All of my copies have been pre owned as I was to young to buy this on release (7) and to a greater or lesser degree they have been played possibly 100s of times over.
With these you at least know that they have only been played by us which for me is a great compromise. We all have decidedly different rigs, some will have expensive turntables in 1,000s Of dollars or pounds, some will have basic turntables and won’t be interested in fidelity what so ever. Some folk will have brilliant hearing, some not so but we are all fans at the end of the day and I respect everyone’s point of view regarding what they get out of these albums and for me personally I couldn’t be happier so far so good.

Last edited:
I have always considered Japanese pressings to sound superior to most pressings of any album I own, most of my albums are pressed here in the U.K. but I was quite taken aback by how bland the Japanese Singles album sounded in comparison to the U.K. pressing. I had been trying to get that one for years in mint condition and when I did I thought to myself “is this it then!”.
I went back to my original Mustard label pressing which was always my favourite prior to the new one. I don’t know what I like about the new pressing but it just sounds good to me I don’t know why but it does.

Your points about copies destroyed by poor styli is very well held; a bad stylus can destroy a disc forever in a single play.

However, if you can find a decent condition (not even mint, but even VG+ or VG) the bloom and pure musicality of the recording can leave the reissues in the dust quite easily.

If you like the sound of the new releases, please don't let me dissuade you, it's just that if you know how the vinyl sounds on a good legacy pressing, the sound of the new pressings doesn't seem to hold up.

William you are right on target and having listened to the new vinyl before sending my set back. I can concur the original vinyl sounds much better in my opinion.

I have all the original vinyl from the 70's over the last few years I even got some sealed. I'm in the process of needle dropping all my original vinyl. I finished CTY this past week. It was one I bought sealed so it's only been played a few times. I'm completely blown away at the sound, it's full and so open sounding, the highs are crisp and the vocals just pop. The instruments are so vivid and clear so much presence.

When I was comparing the 2017 vinyl to the originals there was a huge difference in sound. I guess I just prefer the analog sound. It sounds like we are hearing the same differences between the originals and these newer pressings.

no other reason than there`s no need for me to open them :)
I couldn't agree with you more, that they are meant to be enjoyed, but I have so much carpenters stuff here, I can listen to the same tracks that are these new albums many times over, so that`s my reason, nothing to do with money at all. they are brand new and sealed, so why not keep them that way if there`s no need to open them :)

The Mastering means a lot. Sometimes it's better and sometimes it's not. I heard a big difference. The slight changes are not always great changes and sometimes they are. it's just fun to compare pressings and masterings. Ticket to Ride is so much better in every way from the pressing that I already have but mine was some off label. I can't remember what the label is and I'm too lazy to run down to see right now!
Karen G

Your points about copies destroyed by poor styli is very well held; a bad stylus can destroy a disc forever in a single play.

However, if you can find a decent condition (not even mint, but even VG+ or VG) the bloom and pure musicality of the recording can leave the reissues in the dust quite easily.

If you like the sound of the new releases, please don't let me dissuade you, it's just that if you know how the vinyl sounds on a good legacy pressing, the sound of the new pressings doesn't seem to hold up.

I found some of the sound to be very good. I have to crank up the volume a bit more than the originals but when I do they get pretty holographic.
Karen G

Finally I have received my Boxed sets from Amazon USA the first set was lost in the post!, and the second set of two has arrived today. Didn’t expect the individual albums to be shrink wrapped as well as the outer box.

My box set was lost in the mail and then I ordered Collected on E-Bay and that got lost too. I wanted the white copies and I found one record of the white copy in the USA (Everything else seemed to be in Holland). So I never got the Collected set. I'll just wait and get the black set I guess.
Karen G

It’s amazing how people have different perspectives I have a mint Japan pressing of 69/73 and this new one for me blows it away. I am now reluctant to open the envelope sleeves as the shrink wrap won’t go back on if I do, and the box being so tight may lead to bent and crushed edges.
The only issue with 69/73 for me is that the edge of the new pressing is a bit rough they also seem to have used to much vinyl as it’s pretty thick but I can live with that!.

I guess I could get some of those resealable outer sleeves

I used outer sleeves on the envelope sleeves that way they won't get caught on the adjacent record.
Karen G

Well I just tried TTR and it's really tight on the spindle, but workable.

What I found more disturbing is that 69-73, to me, has what I can only describe as a slight digital hash to it; some instruments have a bit of an edge to them that they clearly do not on my old A&M vinyl copy, and my old copy seems to throw a deeper soundstage as well, making my preference day and night for the older copy I own, even with all of its pops and ticks compared to the new version.

Defects aside, has anyone else noticed that, or am I the only wacko audiophile here?

I found 69-73 sounds really good but it doesn't compare to the Analog Productions copy though but it still really does sound good. The Analog Productions copy was $50 so they took complete care.

Karen G

Just opened my first out of the 12, which is the 1969 - 74 Compilation. Very clean copy on first observation, no marks or scratches- indeed flawless in my opinion. Decided to clean it anyways just to be sure.
Now on my Linn Sondek Turntable as I’m typing this post, very enjoyable listen You can definitely tell this has been remastered and all the better for it in my opinion, Karen’s voice sounds the best I’ve heard it on this particular album and I have 6 of it including the Japanese copy. This is now my reference copy as it’s superb sound quality. 11 more to go!. what really grabs me is the Bass on “Ticket To Ride” it really pops out at you and the vocal - wow!.

Yes I mentioned also that Ticket to Ride sounds especially amazing. BTW I'm a VPI girl !!!
Karen G

I think I posted that I sent destroyed records jpg's to UMG and then I started wondering if maybe they would rather PDF's !!! So I sent PDF's too. This was last week and I asked them to get back to me to let me know that all is well and I'm on the list to receive a new box set. They haven't written back yet. All I want is some piece of mind. I'm freaking out now. I'll write them again on Monday or actually I'll call them. They put a time limit of 15 days from when I got a hold of them until I have to send pictures.
Karen G

They didn't tell me 15 days, just send the photos and we'll put you on the list.
VPI Super Scoutmaster with 10.5" 3D arm here. :)

Last edited:
I found 69-73 sounds really good but it doesn't compare to the Analog Productions copy though but it still really does sound good. The Analog Productions copy was $50 so they took complete care.

Karen G

I didn’t realise there was an AP version of the Singles, for sure I’ll have to track that one down I have a few of their albums Creedance Clearwater etc and all are superb. I’m presuming that the AP copy is vinyl?, hopefully it is and not SACD or what have you if you could confirm please that it’s a record and have you by any chance got a serial number if it is?. Thanks I don’t really do cds though in the high resolution area as I’ve got a basic 44 res CD player only.

Last edited:
I think I posted that I sent destroyed records jpg's to UMG and then I started wondering if maybe they would rather PDF's !!! So I sent PDF's too. This was last week and I asked them to get back to me to let me know that all is well and I'm on the list to receive a new box set. They haven't written back yet.

I got confirmation of the receipt of my photos this morning, so you might want to try again and/or check your SPAM mailbox.

I got confirmation of the receipt of my photos this morning, so you might want to try again and/or check your SPAM mailbox.

Thanks William,
I'll look again. I'm just glad their sending confirmations and I won't have to wonder for a couple months. How long did it take them to get back to you with a confirmation?
KG

They didn't tell me 15 days, just send the photos and we'll put you on the list.
VPI Super Scoutmaster with 10.5" 3D arm here. :)

I also have the Scoutmaster but I didn't get the 3D because I got mine before the 3D arm was available but also a friend of mine has the 3D arm and when it had the finger lift it was very hard to balance. It was lopsided toward the lift side. She had to take the finger lift off and I just can't stand cueing up a record moving the arm holding the shaft part especially since it's a unipivot.
KG

I didn’t realise there was an AP version of the Singles, for sure I’ll have to track that one down I have a few of their albums Creedance Clearwater etc and all are superb. I’m presuming that the AP copy is vinyl?, hopefully it is and not SACD or what have you if you could confirm please that it’s a record and have you by any chance got a serial number if it is?. Thanks I don’t really do cds though in the high resolution area as I’ve got a basic 44 res CD player only.

I think you're right and it's an A&M release not an AP release. I do have the vinyl version. I don't think it's way way better but it is a little better. (way way is a Technical audiophile term) !! The cool thing is that it has a different version of We've Only Just Begun on it.
KG

I think you're right and it's an A&M release not an AP release. I do have the vinyl version. I don't think it's way way better but it is a little better. (way way is a Technical audiophile term) !! The cool thing is that it has a different version of We've Only Just Begun on it.
KG

I forgot to ask if you ever got the AP version of Roger Water's Amused to Death? That sounds amazing !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom