Carpenters TV Specials

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomswift2002

Does anyone have on (as close to broadcast, generational wise) Betamax, VHS or even 3/4-inch U-Matic (I know that U-Matic was issued for consumer use for a little while in the early-1970's, before it became an industry/broadcast format) any of the Carpenters TV specials?

Yeah, but the quality on YouTube is abysmal. They are either very soft, or have been heavily compressed and de-interlaced (either because they were captured to DVD and then recompressed, or the uploader uploaded the video at a low bit rate and YouTube has placed its own compression on top of the uploader's compression). Also a number of them appear to be 3 or 4th VHS generation copies made at SLP mode (having just used the yellow RCA composite connection for each generation, thereby adding 3 or 4 generations of composite noise). Quite frankly I would be able to make better copies of Betamax BIII and VHS SLP/EP recordings than what's on YouTube. But I would need tapes that are as close to broadcast as possible. And, because I would be doing this for myself, I would be interested in covering the cost of shipping the tape(s) to and from my place, and if the person wanted I could provide them with a High Quality DVD copy.

`Yeah, but the quality on YouTube is abysmal.`

I agree for some of it, but given that's the only place to get them, it`s a case of `take it or leave it`!

`Yeah, but the quality on YouTube is abysmal.`

I agree for some of it, but given that's the only place to get them, it`s a case of `take it or leave it`!

That's why I was trying to see if someone had a Betamax or VHS copy, since obviously what's on YouTube had to have come from some sort of off-air recording in the first place.

I had forgotten this bit from the Dorothy Hamill Show March 2, 1977:
"....against a montage of winter settings,
Karen and Richard Carpenter preform
From This Moment On...."

Source:
Daily News - Google News Archive Search »

To this day, I still don't know why they kept hammering on with this outdated, old fashioned song which just helped annihilate their image in the late 70s. Yes, a great vehicle for their respective talents, but so out of touch with trends at the time. They didn't really help themselves by churning this song out over and over again on some high profile TV appearances.

Agreed ! Newvillefan !
Let's count 'em.....just for fun,
Live at the Palladium performance....1976,
Live In Amsterdam...1976,
The Dorothy Hamill performance...1977,
The Tonight Show performance....1977,
Music,Music, Music rendition...recorded February 1980 (found on the Interpretations cd and DVD)

Given its placement on cd compilations:
From The Top and The Essential Collection, it is highly thought of.

Any more ?

To this day, I still don't know why they kept hammering on with this outdated, old fashioned song which just helped annihilate their image in the late 70s. Yes, a great vehicle for their respective talents, but so out of touch with trends at the time. They didn't really help themselves by churning this song out over and over again on some high profile TV appearances.

Agreed. I never understood the fascination with this one. Still don't. Technically exciting, I guess, but not that much fun to listen to.

after seeing the topics of the last 7 months on this forum - REALLY!!!??!!! ~ some people need to get a life -

Instead of criticizing other posters, why not start topics that you deem worthy?

When I recently watched the video of their first tv special for the first time since it's original broadcast, I was surprised to see that a show that was taped in September of 1976 did not include any songs from an album that had been released only 3 months prior. I would have wanted to see more music from "A Kind of Hush" or "Horizon" rather than race car driving.

I watched their first t.v special last night with john Denver, as believe it or not, id never seen.
simply fantastic and I really enjoyed it and really laughed, brilliant!
Karen was a natural on t.v and it really comes across how she enjoyed it and threw herself into the sketches.
with the 50th anniversary round the corner, I`d like to see this remastered/restored and released on dvd or included into something else they choose to do when the time comes.

with the 50th anniversary round the corner, I`d like to see this remastered/restored and released on dvd or included into something else they choose to do when the time comes.
It would also be nice if the specials could be re-aired on PBS or something. Sure they wouldn't be able to remaster the specials to HD levels, since the specials were probably shot on either 2-inch or 1-inch composite video tape, but the could upconvert them to 1080i and do like a Lawrence Welk style series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom