carpenters you DON'T like.

I like all the above mentioned. Even though Saturday and Drucilla Penny could be on my list, Karen's background vocals rescue them. Plus, they create the mood intended. The other songs are just different examples of vocal leads where I can drink Karen's voice.

Craig

Yeah, I'll bet a LOT of people do, and that's terrific. Just like I read some of those listed here that others don't like and think, "Huh, but that's a great song!" (Case and point, "Make Believe It's Your First Time"...a personal favorite, especially in the solo version.) Different ears, different tastes. Just enjoy...

Yeah, I'll bet a LOT of people do, and that's terrific. Just like I read some of those listed here that others don't like and think, "Huh, but that's a great song!" (Case and point, "Make Believe It's Your First Time"...a personal favorite, especially in the solo version.) Different ears, different tastes. Just enjoy...

I heard "Make Believe" (the Carpenters' version) again today on a playlist and was struck anew at how mesmerising and beautiful it is. Richard's orchestration, with the overlapping from one string pattern to another in the choruses, together with Karen's vocal in the bridge, are just too beautiful for words. It may have been the wrong choice for lead single in 1983 (was there even a single on that album?!), but it's a gem of a song.

Last edited:
The only Carpenters song I can honestly say I do not like is "B'wana She No Home." Just a god awful song all around that even Karen's magnificent voice can't save.

Funny, Actorman. I actually count it as one of my two favs on Passage. Love everything about it. This kind of stuff is what makes these boards fun! :)

Goofus and Jambalaya. And I still cringe when Karen hollers out "yeehaw" on Jambalaya and Top of the World!

In her defense, she was trying to inject some excitement into their limited selection of country type songs. Think she did it prior to "Top of the World" during their White House performance also.

Funny, Actorman. I actually count it as one of my two favs on Passage. Love everything about it. This kind of stuff is what makes these boards fun! :)

LOL! I agree. As one of the few members of the "Goofus" Fan Club, I can totally relate! :)

As of today,
the only Carpenters' songs I consistently avoid are four in number:
Mr.Guder
Druscilla Penny
Saturday
It's Going To Take Some Time.

^^Even more interesting when I consider that my all-time
favorite
songs, by Carpenters--also Carpenter/Bettis compositions !:
Only Yesterday
Goodbye To Love
Yesterday Once More
Top Of The World

Oddly enough, I rather like the earlier Richard Carpenter Compositions--
those which predate John Bettis.

But:
Druscilla Penny, Mr.Guder, Saturday
simply fail to move me.
And, It's Going To Take Some Time,
lacks any spark for me whatsoever.

A thought hit me today as I'm listening to the Tan album while I do paperwork. Even in the Carps songs I don't like, it's never about Karen's vocals. Incredible, really.

I'm tempted to re-listen to the entire Tan Album.
I've been harder (e.g.,more critical )on that album than any other !

Not a fan of Jambalaya (though I hear the Japanese love it), or Man Smart, Woman Smarter. Not really a huge fan of Sweet Sweet Smile (though I heard it was a big hit in Germany). I only own a few albums at this current time, I want to get their entire body of work, so I am sure I will have future entries. But Karen is an angel and above reproach, so I blame all of their "ground outs" on Richard! :)

Back
Top Bottom