Carpenters: Your Navy Presents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never heard the entire program before just the songs. I thought the entire program was on a rare LP so maybe that is where this came from. However their track listing is wrong as it starts with part IV from their list instead of part I, out of order?

I noticed the wrong order, too. Maybe the owner spliced it together, or had to do it this way to avoid any copyright issues. Odd for sure. :confused:

The odd order is because of the way the records were pressed. Like a two-disc set, there are four sides with four programs. One disc contains Part 1 and its flip side is Part 4. The other disc has Part 2 and Part 3 on its two sides. That was done so that a stacked disc player could play Part 1 from one record, then drop the next disc and play Part 2. Flip those two in tandem and Part 3 is next in line followed by Part 4.

My bet is that the Parts listed on that track list are correct, and that this recorded program got them out of order.

The wonky audio quality is typical for these type of programs. I have a YOUR NAVY PRESENTS for Sergio Mendes that's just about as bad.

Harry

Bottom line is there's one fifteen-minute program on one side of an LP, and whoever put up the YouTube, got the order wrong. But his picture is correct as to the real order. These programs were to run one fifteen minute segment each week.

Part of the problem with the audio is that everything is exactly 180° out-of-phase. That's why, if you listen in headphones, it's uncomfortable to listen to. If you have the capability, either turn one channel around 180°, or just use the left channel by itself and mono it out to two channels.

Harry

I have seen these LP's on ebay some time ago, I'm sure there were 2 LP's if I'm not mistaken. This should have really been pressed to CD because the music is actually really good and some of it are live takes.

I'd be willing to bet that the masters for these have long been lost or destroyed, and all that is left are the few-hundred LPs that were pressed. Even the small portion of this on ESSENTIAL COLLECTION and FROM THE TOP sounds as though it were taken from a clean needledrop and filtered a bit.

Harry

I was pretty close to bidding on them at the time but it just got too pricey. They are pretty rare to find and I'm sure if someone has them, it would be easy to clean them up (regarding any needle noise) with different pc programs without losing the quality of the sound. They could almost sound as good as a CD with the right person working on it.

^^Seconded! They sound much better than "contemporarily oriented" :D
Is Karen actually playing electric base or is the host just talking about the Offering album?

I was only disappointed that they didn't do "Love Is Surrender" live :sigh:

This was really great to listen to - what a rarity! And with no audience it almost feels like being at an early band rehearsal.
And hosted by Sam Riddle, who was a popular L.A. radio DJ and TV dance show host.

I believe the masters still exist because Richard used some type of source tape for the 'From The Top' boxed set. If you remember, there's some static that's very noticeable in the second verse of the song on the CD. He talks about it in the original liner notes. When the 'Essential Collection' box came out, they got rid of some of the static, but not all of it.

Anyway, if you notice, the static isn't heard here. So, the boxed set source must have been from another source tape (most likely the original master).

I liked the band feel on Ticket to Ride, Karen's drums and vocals and enjoyed hearing Karen singing the lead on Get Together. I thought Karen's drumming was fresh and helped form the feel of the band. I know I have heard this before, about 25 years ago, but did not notice all I just did. Maybe my recording was not as clear as this one. Thanks for posting it. It helped my Saturday morning!

^^Seconded! They sound much better than "contemporarily oriented" :D
Is Karen actually playing electric base or is the host just talking about the Offering album?

I was only disappointed that they didn't do "Love Is Surrender" live :sigh:
Try this one, ninjarabbit. (I believe it's near the beginning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom