Castanets on songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
The songs that I heard on The Carpenters were "Please Mr. Postman", "Only Yesterday" & "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)" which has castanets. There is also castanets playing on The Raspberries song "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" (from 1974 "Starting Over") that peaked at # 18 (6 weeks in Billboard Top 40) back on November 9, 1974. The lead singer of that group, Eric Carmen also did "Make Me Lose Control" (which also has castanets) & peaked at # 3 back on August 13, 1988. Wonder if there is any more that has castanets on Carpenters songs or any other artist or group songs???:confused: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

There is a dramatic use of castanets on the Baja Marimba Band's hit version of "Along Comes Mary," and, given the nature of the music of the BMB and the Tijuana Brass, castanets were likely played on some other tracks from those groups (and maybe Brasil '66, too).

Charles

Focus Hamburger Concerto has a song on Side 1 w/ castanets played on it, "Harem Scarem"... The drummer, Colin Allen, is even credited w/ "castanets" in the musician credits, too...

Then there's castanets on Santana's "All The Love Of The Universe", played by Lenny White, on Santana's Caravanserai album...

-- Dave

The songs that I heard on The Carpenters were "Please Mr. Postman", "Only Yesterday" & "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)" which has castanets. There is also castanets playing on The Raspberries song "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" (from 1974 "Starting Over") that peaked at # 18 (6 weeks in Billboard Top 40) back on November 9, 1974. The lead singer of that group, Eric Carmen also did "Make Me Lose Control" (which also has castanets) & peaked at # 3 back on August 13, 1988. Wonder if there is any more that has castanets on Carpenters songs or any other artist or group songs???:confused: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Off the subject, but John Lennon was a huge fan of 'Overnight Sensation'. Eric Carmen said he about fell over when Lennon told him that because he was/is such a huge Beatles fan. Reminds me of Karen's reaction when Lennon told her what a great voice she had. :)

The late John Lennon said to Anne Murray, the song "You Won't See Me" was a better version than The Beatles during the 1975 Grammy Awards show!!:) Matt Clark Sanford, MI

When I read "Rolling Stone" magazine in June or July of 1988, the song "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)" was at # 90 out of the Top 100 Songs Of All Time. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The first thing that comes to my mind is "Little Darlin" by The Diamonds.

And to keep on topic, "BEECHWOOD45789" by The Carpenters from their "Made In America" album.

Danny

Forgot about Elton John's "Grow Some Funk Of Your Own" (from 1975 "Rock Of The Westies"). I think that Ray Cooper is doping the castanets on that song. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Had to go back and listen to see if my hunch was correct, and it was. Castanets are also featured on "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" on A Kind of Hush. :)
I also just remembered the old Archie Bleyer song "Hernando's Hideaway" features castanets heavily as well.

Last edited:
Also I forgot this song, "Blue Morning, Blue Day" by Foreigner (from 1978 "Double Vision"). Not one of my favorites though. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Pat Boone's version of "My Romance", right at the lyrics passage: "My romance doesn't needs castle rising in Spain"...

And speaking of "Spain", have we mentioned "Never Been To Spain"?

I've heard castanets at the beginning on versions by Three Dog Night and by Elvis... Maybe by Cher and by others? Hoyt Axton, the composer of, didn't employ them on his original...

-- Dave

I just happened to listen to "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" and realized that there are castanets in that piece as well. Not really surprising considering its Latin American flavor and influence.

Used quite prominenetly on Diana Ross & The Supremes 1968 single, "Some Things You Never Get Used To"

Random tidbit, The Marvelettes, who as we know were covered twice by The Carpenters, originally named themselves The Casinyets. No, not pronounced castanets, as some folks though. It was an abbreviation of "Can't Sing Yet."

"My romance doesn't needs castle rising in Spain"...

A typo-... Should be: "Doesn't NEED CASTLES rising in Spain"...

And speaking of "Spain", have we mentioned "Never Been To Spain"?

I've heard castanets at the beginning on versions by Three Dog Night and by Elvis... Maybe by Cher and by others? Hoyt Axton, the composer of, didn't employ them on his original...

OK, Cher doesn't have 'em on her version and I find it odd to end one of her albums with it, too (Foxy Lady is what it's on; should mention it in the 'Albums where Side 2 sounds best, played first' thread)... Guess I'm thinking of The Lettermen, they covered it and with castanets, too...

-- Dave

"Spanish Eddie" by the late Laura Branigan made some great strategic use of castanet clacks...

I forgot about Three Dog Night's "Never Been To Spain" (from early 1972 "Harmony" album).:whoa: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Forgot about Loggins & Messina "Thinking Of You" (album version) & 1910 Fruitgum Co. "When We Get Married" (late 1969). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

In Be My Baby they're practically sharing the lead as a fourth Ronette! But I love them!! Very effective...

PS / what is the sound - or instrument that is used in Hurting Each Other when Karen says, Closer than the leaves... (5 tones of something oh-so-wonderful the echos) it repeats again after Closer dear are we... It's a percussion thing happening - but I never knew what the heck it was....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom