1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

CDs of LOVE MUSIC

Discussion in 'Look Around: Sergio Mendes/Brazilian Music Forum' started by Harry, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator Thread Starter

Way back in 2003 (I think it was), I bought the Japanese release of Sergio Mendes' LOVE MUSIC. Today I had occasion to listen to a track or two and think it sounds pretty bad. There's lots of distortion on the louder vocal passages.

Has there ever been a better release than this Japanese Arista/BMG release on CD? Anyone know?

2. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Not to my knowledge I never was able to get a cd copy of it but I had needledrop cds made from my clean vinyl copy of Love music and it sounds very good sometimes some cd reissues don't do an album justice sadly I usually go by my gut feeling about whether some cd reissues are important enough especially imports They better sound good or I won't bother spending the money for it

3. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    Somehow I got ahold of the set of files for a 2008 (?) release from Sony/BMG. No clue as to what it sounds like. Booklet claims from "original master" tapes but that could mean anything. :shrug:

4. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member Contributor

I have a couple of releases. Don't recall hearing whatever Harry didn't like on the BMG (haven't listened in a long time, though), but there's another release that comes in one of those cardboard ecocases that I believe originated in the Philippines IIRC.

5. Harry

Harry Charter Member Moderator Thread Starter

Welcome to the Forum, Rob, and thanks for the info.

Looking around on Discogs, it seems that there are multiple listings for CDs of LOVE MUSIC, but all have the same catalog number, BVCM-37398, so they all look like the same as what I own.

I'm a little leery of the new issue listed at CD Japan as it's listed as a "Low-priced Reissue". In my experience, those are typically identical with prior issues as far as the sound goes. They are probably bit-identical with what's already out there. But I hope I'm wrong and that LOVE MUSIC is getting a great reissue. It wouldn't be the first time that a catalog number remained the same and the mastering was totally different.