Classic A&M Box Set (just for fun!)

Would you like to see an "A&M Classics" box set?

• Yes!!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Sort Of (I'd rather see artist box sets instead)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
A "just for fun" topic: if you had to compile a box set that chronicled A&M's earlier years, how would you do it?

My choice would be to do it chronologically, and perhaps start with the first single on the Carnival label. From there, though, I'm unsure of how I'd compile the tracks. Would it be three or four CDs? (I vote for four CDs, which could get us an even 100 songs.) Would it be wise to use one representative track from each of the first 99 albums, or better to randomly sample some good, representative tracks from both early singles and albums? (The latter would be my choice.) Since the box set would be covering all of A&M, I would not want to emphasize some bands or artists at the expense of others--in other words, I wouldn't want a dozen TJB tracks on the set, if it meant overlooking a George McCurn or Dave Lewis track, for example.

I'll jot down some track ideas later today as I think of them. It really would be a nice box set of the history of a unique label. A&M may be gone, but not forgotten!

-= N =-
...throwing out ideas...

I would include certain singles issued between 1963 and '65 on the Almo International (45 only) label, including releases by Lucille Starr (I have two such singles by her on Almo International, "Jolie Jacqueline"/"Yours" and "I Want a Steady Guy"/"So Many Others", the latter side of the latter single being composed by one Rod McKuen). I noticed that Almo International's (not to be confused with the later Almo Sounds) label background somewhat bordered on what would be called "Slate Grey" in Prismacolor pencil sets, a kind of bluish grey tint -- or would that be Periwinkle? -- which seemed to be intended as the "negative" image of A&M's (mostly brownish) ochre.

"almo international - a product of a&m records"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom