Clips of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 singing live

Is that it? Just 1969? Well, there's the Japan (World) Expo Osaka 1970 record that's been posted to Y.T. but that's only the cover image (photo) + audio.

The Tom Jones Show (1969, or 1970) (Karen Phillip, Dom Romao line-up) features a new recording of "Mas Que Nada" that was pre-recorded before taping (must have been). If you listen closely to the audio from that TV show, the music sounds different from the 1966 studio recording (from the first B'66 album). I am guessing that Karen Phillip is actually singing with Lani on that particular recording (She certainly is miming it for the TV cameras, for sure). Also, there is an (electric) bass guitar, not acoustic upright (double) bass -- so it's Mr. Neto, not Mr. Mathews on bass, there. (And, I hear congas of Mr. Bassini.) It's not as if only vocals were re-done on that particular audio for that Tom Jones episode.
(Everything I can deduce about B'66 T.V. appearances is based on seeing this footage on You Tube.)

youtu.be/7_wVZo_mL8A?t=80
1m22 -- best part!

@ 1:30, I hear "ooooh" female counter-part vocal lines to Tom's lead, and I don't see either ladys' lips moving, so -- definitely, the vocals were pre-recorded prior to video-taping.

Now, if only I could get access to (some copy of) the multi-track master tapes! ; unless it was recorded/tracked direct(ly)-to- stereo (or mono).
I could then hear individual parts. Near the end I like Mr. Neto's bass lines -- he's being adventurous and going beyond the basic groove pattern. Also, I hear similar chordal ideas (quartals
?) in Sergio's piano part that I recognize from the live recording (see above - 1969 film of actual live concert).
And, maybe, it would be possible to make a mix that excludes Tom's vocals.
And, I'm pretty sure I'm hearing Karen here singing along with Lani, if I'm not mistaken.
(Any recording of Lani singing from this period is gold, to me.)

In conclusion, this is a valuable alternate recording of "Mas Que Nada" by Sergio and band.

Last edited:
I grew up on album rock, so I am used to the idea of bands having lots of interviews, studio out-takes, and live recordings -- especially by the 1970s. But most TV appearances in the 1960s involved miming to the studio recording (record -- since this was a business, and the TV appearance was for the purpose of promoting/advertising the product -- the record). It made sense for the TV audience to hear what the product (recording) sounds like.

There aren't any boot-leg live recordings of 1960s Brasil '66, are there?

Maybe someone had a pocket tape recorder running at a 1960s concert?

But Brasil '66 wasn't a Rock band, I must remind myself.

Our old friend Paula had at least one great live recording of B66 in Philly (IIRC) that she sent me years ago. Karen was featured prominently.

P.S. I think I probably mentioned this in some other thread devoted to the Tom Jones appearance, but Sergio tells Tom he (Tom) should come be on Sergio's show in Brasil, but I've never been able to determine when if ever Sergio *had* a show in Brasil.

Courtnee says:
Bibi did perform in concert with Sergio Mendes in the early days. My aunt has a videotape of her performance. And John Pisano was with Sergio Mendes before he had even joined The TJB. It even says that on his website folks.​

Oh yes, the top-most photo (at a private party in L.A.in 1966) I found on Lani's official website (for promoting her book Emotional Memoirs). That was one of the earliest gigs for B'66, I bet. That was before they went on tour with T.J.B., probably. I hadn't before seen the 2nd photo, from that same gig. (Unfortunately, no audio, right?)

Back
Top Bottom