Concerts

Probert

As some may know I’m a Carpenter newbie, I was just wondering it doesn’t seem to be many different concerts of theirs on video. I guess they didn’t film that much back in the day? 🤷

Top quality. Richard just doesn't like their live sound.

Furthermore, their concerts were so "programmed" that the ones from each tour all sounded the same. I have a live recording that I made and it's nearly identical to the LIVE IN JAPAN album.

The Bacharach Medley recorded during a show at the Riviera Las Vegas in 1974 is one of the best live recordings I have ever heard by any artist (referring to the vocal). It can be found on the CD Anthology (89) set Catalog number: PCCY-10023 (Japan).

If you take a look at the notes in Carpenters the Musical Legacy the only original parts that you hear are Karen, the orchestra and the drum kit (except for the bass) as Richard had to do did a remix due to some recording problem.

Last edited:
Top quality. Richard just doesn't like their live sound.

Furthermore, their concerts were so "programmed" that the ones from each tour all sounded the same. I have a live recording that I made and it's nearly identical to the LIVE IN JAPAN album.
Oh ok. I just assumed bad quality because of the years they performed. That’s interesting info Harry thanks.

The Bacharach Medley recorded during a show at the Riviera Las Vegas in 1974 is one of the best live recordings I have ever heard by any artist (referring to the vocal). It can be found on the CD Anthology (89) set Catalog number: PCCY-10023 (Japan).

If you take a look at the notes in Carpenters the Musical Legacy the only original parts that you hear are Karen, the orchestra and the drum kit (except for the bass) as Richard had to do did a remix due to some recording problem.
Thanks for that info Nemily!!

I guess it would have been too expensive to hire an entire orchestra to perform at every show, and being that it’s a big part of what made the arrangements sound so good, I guess I can understand why Richard wouldn’t be a fan of how they sounded live.

Especially for their more complex songs like “Superstar” - without the live strings and the brass, it just doesn’t really work. Plus, there wasn’t any way to recreate the overdubbed harmonies live. I guess the Carpenters’ type of music just wasn’t really cut out for live performances.

My guess is the two things he didn't like about their live sound were:

1. He couldn't control every single aspect of how they sounded, compared with studio performing

... and the big one:

2. He and Karen couldn't do their own harmony vocals onstage, thus changing "their sound" to something different.

If they were still performing today, he'd probably at least consider using their own backing vocals on a hard drive, rather than hiring backup singers, to preserve the "Carpenters sound."

He and Karen couldn't do their own harmony vocals onstage, thus changing "their sound" to something different.

That’s the big difference for me and the main reason I don’t listen to any of their live performances. On stage, it wasn’t the Carpenters sound.

Back
Top Bottom