Did the Carpenters ever cover any song of Bob Dylan's?

Buried Alien

The Carpenters often cited "three B's" from the popular music of the 1960s...the Beatles, (Burt) Bacharach, and the Beach Boys, as key musical influences upon them. During the Carpenters' performing and recording career, Richard and Karen indeed issued records featuring their versions of compositions by these "B's."

But what about that fourth vital "B" from 1960s popular music....Bob Dylan? Did the Carpenters ever perform anything written by Dylan? If so, why not? Having grown up in the 1960s, Richard and Karen undoubtedly listened to their fair share of Dylan records. Was Dylan's material too far-removed from the Carpenters' musical interests and style for covering?

If the Carpenters had indeed covered Bob Dylan songs, which ones do you think would be good picks? I think the Carpenters could have done a fine version of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" from Dylan's 1967 John Wesley Harding album.

Countless artists (including, notably, Garth Brooks and Billy Joel) have recorded the Dylan song, "To Make You Feel My Love." Karen's vocals and Richard's arrangements would have outshone them all!

Now that you've suggested Dylan I can here Karen singing Don't Think Twice It's All Right in an All Because Of You soloesque manner!

I was going to say that given that Karen and Richard were all about melody, it's unlikely that they would have recorded anything by Dylan. I don't ever remember hearing anything exactly melodic by him. I suppose that 'I'll Be Your Baby Tonight' comes closest, but even that has a very limited range and is fairly stilted. Actually, come to think of it, 'Forever Young' is more melodic. The tune still has a slight sort of abruptly interrupted kind of feel at the end of the verses, though.

I was also going to say, 'Good choices of Dylan songs? ARE there any??' I suppose I don't know them all, though, and when other artists do them, they invariably sound better than his versions, so it's possible that someone would come out with a surprise that sounded good.

I'm obviously one who could have been knocked over by a rattle from Mr. Tambourine Man when I heard that Dylan had won the Nobel prize.

Having said that, as you've suggested, whether his compositions sound any good can depend on the style and interpretation of the artist covering his songs. I liked Randy Crawford's 'KnockingOn Heaven's Door', Bryan Ferry's 'A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall', Anne Murray's 'I'll Be Your Baby Tonight', Manfred Mann's 'Mighty Quinn' and Marc Hunter's 'Forever Young'. However, even these artists haven't been able to fully disguise the sort of angular, confined, repetitive nature of Dylan's melodies, (or non-melodies).

Bryan Ferry released an album of Dylan covers, titled 'Dylanesque'. It's the only Bryan Ferry / Roxy Music album that I haven't collected. I'll have to have a listen one day. And I do have a number of Dylan CDs.

Seeing as about a million different artists have covered Dylan's compositions, it seems that a lot of people would disagree with me, but I sometimes laugh, groan or grimace when I hear his rhyming and word choices. I'm open, though. There might be something out there that really strikes a chord with me. Even if it's a discordant chord.

Actually, come to think of it, 'Forever Young' is more melodic. The tune still has a slight sort of abruptly interrupted kind of feel at the end of the verses, though.

Joan Baez did a great version of "Forever Young." The song might have suited the Carpenters treatment.

I agree with Brian. He might have written good lyrics, but i don't think his stuff was melodic. I grew up in the 60s and never really "got" his music.
I was going to say that given that Karen and Richard were all about melody, it's unlikely that they would have recorded anything by Dylan. I don't ever remember hearing anything exactly melodic by him. I suppose that 'I'll Be Your Baby Tonight' comes closest, but even that has a very limited range and is fairly stilted. Actually, come to think of it, 'Forever Young' is more melodic. The tune still has a slight sort of abruptly interrupted kind of feel at the end of the verses, though.

Back
Top Bottom