1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to [email protected]. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Downey girl

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by DF1950, Sep 12, 2016.

1. DF1950

DF1950 Member Thread Starter

I did a search on the forum and didn't see any discussion of this song. It's sung by and written by Dave Alvin and is a tribute to Karen Carpenter. Don't know how to embed a link but it's on Youtube. He sings about not liking her music back in the day, but now his view has changed. I watched the one titled "live at McCabes 1/14/12". I think you'll like it. Done in a folk style.

2. DF1950

DF1950 Member Thread Starter

here's a link:

David A, BarryT60, Graeme and 8 others like this.
  3. Jamesj75

Jamesj75 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this, Doug! I find it beautiful and moving! (I write, as tears fill my eyes....)

BarryT60 likes this.
  4. very moving, thank you.
    right, where`s my tissues :reallycrying:

5. Guitarmutt

Guitarmutt Active Member

Wow, beautiful.

For a little context, Dave Alvin was a part of the LA punk rock scene in the late '70's-early '80's and has continued onwards.
    He was in The Blasters, and played for awhile with X and The Knitters while forging along on his own solo career.

The trajectories of artists are fascinating.

6. natureaker

natureaker Active Member

What a beautiful song! Thanks for sharing. :)

Guitarmutt likes this.
  7. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

almost a tearjerker

8. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Wow, how awesome was that! Thanks so much for this post. Simple lyrics and melody but beautiful and moving. Thank you Dave Alvin!