[DVD]: Carpenters Christmas Memories Review

tomswift2002

So this is really the first Christmas that people have been able to actually watch the Carpenters Christmas Memories. The release of this PBS DVD last year really didn't get out of the gates until after Christmas. Of course some people did receive it before Christmas, but most didn't get it till January.

Anyway, it's kind of odd how the DVD features the video in anamorphic widescreen, when the original videos were in 4:3. Now then the widescreen does preserve the 4:3 (since it's like when you watch a Blu-Ray of an old movie, such as It's A Wonderful Life), but its still an odd configuration for DVD.

Also, it would've been nice if Richard had given us both 2.0 mixes and 5.1 mixes, or even a PCM 2.0 mix.

Of course some of the mixes on this DVD are unique to this DVD. There are the songs Make Me Laugh and Christmas Alphabet which have never appeared anywhere else. The mix of O Holy Night seems to feature a different piano than what is on An Old-Fashioned Christmas, the medley of Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas is also edited compared to the version on Christmas Portrait.

I’ve got the DVD courtesy of a very kind member of this forum who bagged two copies and offered me one, but I’ve only watched it once so far. I wanted to keep it for when this holiday season came around as this is obviously the best time of year to see and hear Karen singing all those beautiful Christmas songs :)

I was just watching “The Carpenters At Christmas” on YouTube today (horrible quality, extremely compressed), and I noticed that the majority of videos are from TCAC, whereas “Christmas Portrait” is only represented by ‘Ave Maria’.

I have a really good quality DVD of both Carpenters Christmas specials, no commercials etc. But I still wanted the PBS Carpenters Christmas DVD. Although I liked it, I was kinda disappointed in the shortness of the DVD, 45 minutes! So I paid $6 a month for a year....now honestly if there are any other Carpenters items offered on PBS that are unique, I may go that route again, we will see

I have a really good quality DVD of both Carpenters Christmas specials, no commercials etc. But I still wanted the PBS Carpenters Christmas DVD. Although I liked it, I was kinda disappointed in the shortness of the DVD, 45 minutes! So I paid $6 a month for a year....now honestly if there are any other Carpenters items offered on PBS that are unique, I may go that route again, we will see
Yeah 45 minutes was really short, especially when you take into consideration that both the videos for “Santa Claus” and “Ave Maria” have already been released, so we only got about 38 minutes of new video.

I should also add that “Carol Of The Bells” was also released previously.

But I was just watching the DVD, and when Karen is looking at the photos (just before “It’s Christmas Time”), she mentions that Richard loved airplanes—until he found out about stewardesses. Was there something going on with airplane stewardesses in the 70’s that I’m just not getting with this joke?

I would like to try and watch the carpenters Christmas memories dvd but unfortunately I live in U.K.

where did you get the dvd of both specials from ?

[MODERATOR: Please do not post information regarding bootleg, copyrighted videos.]

Back
Top Bottom