1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.

Early Brasil '66 Video Wanted

Discussion in 'Look Around: Sergio Mendes/Brazilian Music Forum' started by Steve Sidoruk, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Steve Sidoruk

Steve Sidoruk Founder, A&M Fan Net Moderator Thread Starter

I was just contacted by my friend, Barry Korkin, formerly A&M guy, now at Universal. UME is assisting in the making of Sergio's bio-pic. Apparently, they can't find A&M early Brasil '66 promo films in the vaults and are searching for Fan/Collectors who might have this stuff in as close to mint quality as possible. This is faster than ASAP need. Contact me via messaging here at A&M Corner or my A&M Fan Net e-mail below. THANKS!

Concord Music Group has a film production team working on an extensive documentary on Sergio, and UMe are collaborating with them. I met with members of that team on Wed. A few of the stumpers are in the area of videos from that early A&M period that we can’t locate in our vaults. Being that you and your network of fans are also collectors of sort, I offer this link to a specific video with the hopes that you might be able to point out someone in that circle who may have a viable source for it and possibly other early video pieces done for the act in rather “master” condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naKub51pT5g

2. The best I have would be from that Hollywood Palace show, but that's pretty common, right?

3. Steve Sidoruk

It appears they want near master quality. I'm in the process of checking, but don't think I have any of their early promos to offer.

4. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member Contributor

My in-laws in L.A. used to live next door to someone who had something to do with the old Danny Kaye show, and he had a ton of 3/4" masters (or whatever the format was) including the B66 performances IIRC. I think they just lip synched, but would something like that be of any interest? (I'm not sure the guy lives there anymore--interestingly, my brother-in-law's house is basically right across Ventura Blvd. from Sergio's old place that had the Harrison Ford built studio.)

5. Steve Sidoruk

The emphasis seems to be early A&M promo films and close to master quality, as I read it. I have things in my collection too, but don't think meets their criteria.

6. lj

lj Active Member

If a video of master quality can't be located, the YouTube video with the original Brasil 66 performing Mas Que Nada in a "tropical forest" with two dancers is as good as it gets. This video was from a 1967 movie. For still the pictures, the Bing photo of Brasil 66 in a recording studio for the Equinox album is very appropriate. It was used in the BBC Herb Alpert documentary.

7. lj

lj Active Member

A correction--it was Getty images for the recording studio still pictures from the Equinox album.

8. This photo?

B66BBC4.JPG

I posted this one when I lifted it as a screen capture from the BBC4 doc. Getty Images might have the original.

9. lj

lj Active Member

Yes, that's the Getty photo I was thinking of. It's pretty nifty.

10. JMK

There's a whole series of those on Getty, in color.

11. TulitaPepsi

TulitaPepsi Member

Ij: What 1967 movie was that "jungle" video in? I always thought it was some kind of promotional video. It is similar to a Scopiotone, but done with a lack of cheesiness and a considerable amount of flair. The sexy black dancers add a vibe that must have been a bit daring for its time.

12. lj

lj Active Member

In a past A&M post in this Brazilian Music Forum a long time ago I recall someone writing that this jungle scene video was in a '67 movie, but they never indicated the name of the movie. I sure wish that could be ascertained.

13. cwicher

cwicher New Member

I have a promo copy of this. It is Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay"(both sides), A&M Records #1073 (1969).[45 rpm DJ / Promo single] It is 1741-17 Most likely never played. The jacket is aged with a very small (less than an 1/8 of inch tear at the sleeve opening). The vinyl is in mint condition.

14. JMK

There's an interesting little Billboard article on eBay right now that may be germane to the provenance of the Mas Que Nada video. It's about A&M producing two Brasil '66 videos at the former Chaplin Studios location that were part of a deal for American Airlines in flight entertainment.

s-l1600.jpg

15. lj

lj Active Member

JMK--do you know the date of the Billboard article? I bet the production referred to is the the video with Brasil 66 and the two dancers in a "tropical" environment as seen on YouTube.