Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
EASY LOUNGIN' COLLECTION
Twenty Easy Listening Classics
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
A&M/Polydor (540 468-2)

I remember hearing about this disc as an import for a few years, but never saw it listed anywhere. Recently, an eBay listing prompted me to do a more thorough search for it -- and I found it at the German Music Express site for $20.97 plus shipping. It's the track listing that intrigued me to spend the money buying it -- it contains many favorites that are not often found on compilations. I know, I know -- I could just MAKE one, but it wouldn't be the same. Here's the track listing:

Mais Que Nada
The Joker
Laia Ladaia (Reza)
Masquerade
Scarborough Fair
Constant Rain (Chove Chuva)
Slow Hot Wind
Cinnamon And Clove
Batucada
Wichita Lineman
Viola
Like A Lover
Roda
Wave
Pradizer Adeus (To Say Goodbye)
Upa, Neguinho
Lost In Paradise
You Stepped Out Of A Dream
Look Who's Mine
What The World Needs Now

48895.jpg

The page at German Music Express is here: http://www.musicexpress.com/bin/nph-main/milIgMXx5SqB.b

The album was compiled by a Stefan Kassel, who also wrote the liner notes (in German), and there's a few familiar black & white photos inside of Sergio & Co. from several different eras, with a color shot from the first album cover on the back of the booklet. Released in 1995 under the auspices of Polydor, there's a large A&M logo on the back insert and on the disc itself.

Sound quality: top notch for a Brasil '66 disc. There are some compilation discs that just sound good, and others that just seem lifeless. This one sounds bright and clear, while the CLASSICS disc, for example, that was put out in the US seems dull and lifeless to me in comparison.

I've also learned of a Burt Bacharach entry to this series and am in the process of tracking it down through amazon for a tad less than German Music Express wants. Amazon didn't list the Mendes disc, but they do list the Bacharach title -- and again it's the track listing that intrigues me, since it includes favorites like "Nikki" and "South American Getaway" in with the usual mix. Other entries in the series are non-A&M Peter Thomas Sound Orchester and Bert Kaempfert & His Orchestra.

Harry
...waiting for Burt, online...

Harry said:
it contains many favorites that are not often found on compilations

Harry,
I agree with you; I really like just about all of the selections on this CD. I saw several on eBay and even bid on them, but never won one. I primarily wanted the Equinox tracks (Constant Rain and Cinnamon & Clove), until finding out (here in fact) that CD was being reissued. And that cover shot of an AMC Javelin/AMX was intriguing.
And now it seems I can quit trying to get the 'Live at Expo '70' album since it's coming out on CD. Sure which there were video releases though, especially of B66, v1. They've gotta be archived somewhere....

Harry, I felt the same way as you when I first learned of the existence of this CD ("I know, I could have made one, but..."), I got it on ebay and it's a fantastic compilation with a great cover as well. Now, I work for a record company in Mexico City and have been wishing for a while to make a Herb Alpert compilation similar in feel to this Brasil 66 one; repackaging with some fantastic pictures, re-mastering, etc. I know of the recent compilation that came out, but I think the feel of Easy Loungin' is a bit different, so I'd like to do something more along those lines...maybe some day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom