ENCANTO comments + reviews thread*

What is your favorite track from ENCANTO?

• The Look Of Love (ft. Fergie)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Funky Bahia (ft. will.i.am & Siedah Garrett)

• Waters Of March (ft. Ledisi)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Odo-Ya (ft. Carlinhos Brown)

• Somewhere In The Hills (ft. Natalie Cole)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Lugar Comum (ft. Dreams Come True)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dreamer (ft. Lani Hall & Herb Alpert)

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Morning In Rio

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • E Vamos La (...Let's Go)

• Catavento (ft. Gracinha Leporace)

• Acode (ft. Vanessa Da Mata)

• Agua De Beber (ft. will.i.am)

• Les Eaux De Mars (ft. Zap Mama)

• Y Vamos Ya (...Let's Go) (ft. Juanes)

• Lugar Comum (ft. Jovanotti)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMK said:
Mike said:
I was listening to the Bossa Nova York album today recorded by the Sergio Mendes Trio in 1964 (Elenco); I have the re-issued CD from Universal Music, Brazil. Anyway, I was listening to track 8 “Vivo Sonhando” by Antonio Carlos Jobim, and I thought, I know that song! That’s when I started imagining Lani Hall singing lyrics to it in my mind. And, sure as heck, it’s the same song as “Dreamer” on Encanto.

This is probably common knowledge by everyone else here, and I’m just now putting it together, but, I thought it was pretty cool to find that Sergio had recorded that song back in 1964.

~Mike

There's another multi-named Jobim composition on Encanto that Sergio recorded previously, but I'll let you figure that one out, too. :D

JMK, this is going to drive me nuts! I'll be listening to old Sergio Mendes recordings all day trying to figure this out.

All the best,
Mike

Mike said:
JMK said:
Mike said:
I was listening to the Bossa Nova York album today recorded by the Sergio Mendes Trio in 1964 (Elenco); I have the re-issued CD from Universal Music, Brazil. Anyway, I was listening to track 8 “Vivo Sonhando” by Antonio Carlos Jobim, and I thought, I know that song! That’s when I started imagining Lani Hall singing lyrics to it in my mind. And, sure as heck, it’s the same song as “Dreamer” on Encanto.

This is probably common knowledge by everyone else here, and I’m just now putting it together, but, I thought it was pretty cool to find that Sergio had recorded that song back in 1964.

~Mike

There's another multi-named Jobim composition on Encanto that Sergio recorded previously, but I'll let you figure that one out, too. :D

JMK, this is going to drive me nuts! I'll be listening to old Sergio Mendes recordings all day trying to figure this out.

All the best,
Mike

Hint: Bossa Nova York again

JMK said:
Mike said:
JMK said:
Mike said:

~Mike

All the best,
Mike

Hint: Bossa Nova York again

JMK, the hint was a big help, thank you.

Somewhere Over The Hill = O Morro Nao Tem Vez

It's track 11 on Bossa Nova York and it's track 5 on Encanto

Mike

Edit: Somewhere Over The Hill should have been Somewhere In the Hills :oops: Maybe I'm the one that is Somewhere Over The Hill

And as I mentioned somewhere in the hills around here, the tune is AKA Favela.

Another "new Sergio - early Sergio" connection.

The photo shoot for ENCANTO features several shots of the Maestro lounging with two gamtastic, anonymous ladies. It reminded me of the two "Swingin' '60s chicks" on the cover of SERGIO MENDES' FAVORITE THINGS.

(For years I always thought the blonde in the chatreuse leather was Karen and the mini-skirted gal in the back was Lani!)

Though the ENCANTO shoot is sexy, I'm sorry there aren't any "jammin'" shots of the featured guest artists. And wouldn't it have been a blast to see a full page color photo of Sergio, Lani & Herb - maybe mirroring the pic of Herb and Sergio on the back of "H.A.P."!

JMK said:
And as I mentioned somewhere in the hills around here, the tune is AKA Favela.

I need a database to cross-reference all these name changes.

Bossa Nova York – O Morro Nao Tem Vez
The Swinger From Rio – Favela
Encanto – Somewhere In The Hills

All the same song!

Mike

That happens a lot in the Sergio Mendes catalog. If you look at the GRANDES NOMES box set, several of the English-sung (or English-titled) songs are listed in their Portuguese names...and "Laia Ladaia" is often just shown as "Reza" depending on the album you're looking at.

Reza is the correct published title. Laia Ladaia I'm sure was added just because the chorus is so "catchy." In fact have seen it listed as "Laia Ladaia" anywhere other than B66? I don't think I have, but maybe I'm just not remembering.

Same song, different name (continued)

Vivo Sonhando – Bossa Nova York
Dreamer – Encanto

Those we already knew, but now add to that:

The Dreamer – The Swinger From Rio

A subtle difference from the Encanto version, but a difference none the less.

Mike

JMK - '"Laia Ladaia" (no "Reza") is on THE CARNIVAL.

Though their version should really be called "Reza A Go-Go"

I found it interesting some sites listed June 10th as the official release date. There was a promo copy in the racks "with my name on it" Monday, and it's been in the car player since.

Tough deciding on a favorite for the poll but I finally voted for "Funky Bahia" because it's a festive reminder of the beginning of summer, my favorite season.

JB

I was driving around on wednesday of last week, listening to our BBC radio station Radio 2 as usual, when I suddenly heard them mention Sergio was to be interviewed on the afternoon programme. I nearly crashed the car into a tree with shock, and indeed am only just recovering! What a treat!

After listening to the programme and hearing with delight there was a new record (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/wright/) I immediatly went to Amazon to buy it; however not being released in UK until 23rd June, so had resort to downloading it from itunes ( How I loathe that website! Procedure took me SO long too, that my husband was hungry and had to resort to having first listen whilst I cooked the dinner!!

Anyway,have managed to listen to it a few times now. Like many other people it seems, I too like 'Dreamer' with Lani's fab voice. ( I realise too, I have another version of this song by British jazz singer, Selena Jones on the 'Salena sings Jobim' CD.- worth a listen in my humble opinion) Anyway, I also quite enjoy 'Acode' ( once you get past, what I can only describe as 'banging' at the beginning of the track!) Also 'Lets Go' and much to my surprise the version of 'Look of Love' with Fergie singing ( Is it Rap - am afraid very ignorant to this sort of music!!) It seems to work quite well though, and I never thought I would ever think that!

Am just SO pleased Sergio has recorded a new album. Gather might be touring over here in the autumn too - can't wait!

Susan

I'm loving the new album. I hope it gets picked up on the radio and into the mainstream. I bet with will.i.am involved it will.

Got ENCANTO for Father's Day and love it! Obviously, Herb & Lani's track is #1 with me, Natalie's a close second, and there are a couple of tracks that don't move me....but nothing I can't listen to. I think it's terrific! Thanks, Sergio, Will, and Concord!

---Michael Hagerty

I just bought Encanto today at Waterloo Records here in Austin, and they gave me a free T-shirt with the album cover on it when I bought it! I haven't listened to the album just yet, but the T-shirt is pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Capt. Bacardi

I still haven't voted on a favorite track. CUrrently I'm torn between "Odo-Ya," "Catavento," "Dreamer," "Somewhere in the Hills" and "Acode." But at least I'm narrowing it down!

I finally gave this CD a couple of spins. First, let me say that I absolutely hated Timeless, save for one or two tracks. So I wasn't expecting a lot with Encanto. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised with this album. A far stronger Brazilan flavor here, once you get past the first two songs. I loathed "Look Of Love", which I considered the worst song here. Not all that impressed with "Funky Bahia", either. Things started picking up after that. It took a couple more listens of "Waters Of March" for me to get into it. Loved Natalie Cole's work on "Somewhere In The Hills". I had to laugh a bit on Jovanotti's "rap" - I don't know what language it was, but rap is crap is any language. :laugh: Nice beat, though. I obviously enjoyed "Dreamer" with Herb and Lani together. Sergio evens plays some nice keyboards here. But Sergio shows his genius on "Morning In Rio" by featuring a trombone solo! Now this, ladies and gents, is what music is about! :D

Another thing that makes this album better than Timeless is that it's not as LOUD. Nice grooves throughout, very tasty playing. I'll definitely put some of these songs on a comp CD I'm doing. Out of 5 stars I give this a 3.5

Capt. Bacardi

This just arrived in the UK and I'm fairly disappointed so far. There's too much jolly chanting, jejune lyrics (I'll recall some in a full post if you can be bothered to wait) and for what it might have been, the Lani-Sergio reunion is rather perfunctory. It's one of my favourite melodies but I know it so well I had high expectations. Her voice, still a delight, has aged considerably since "Brasil Nativo". Fave vocal so far is Jovanotti's rap, yet!

Somehow I have not heard any of this yet... I'm sure it is available near me, but I'm seeing from more reviews of it whether it is worth it or not...

Hopefully it will be a step up from Timeless or at least in the same league... Just waiting to be convinced it will be the Sergio of old times and new...

Dave

Chris Martin said:
This just arrived in the UK and I'm fairly disappointed so far.

Perhaps a few more spins will see you liking it better.

There's too much jolly chanting, jejune lyrics (I'll recall some in a full post if you can be bothered to wait)

Are you faulting the songwriters, or the fact that a lot of scat vocals were included in some of the arrangements?

and for what it might have been, the Lani-Sergio reunion is rather perfunctory. It's one of my favourite melodies but I know it so well I had high expectations. Her voice, still a delight, has aged considerably since "Brasil Nativo".

Well, that was ten full years ago (BRASIL NATIVO came out in summer 1998) - I suspect we've all aged a bit in that time.

Fave vocal so far is Jovanotti's rap, yet!

It's fun, but I think I still prefer the Japanese Dreams Come True version of the "Lugar Comum" song.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom