🎤 Interview Engineer/Producer Al Schmitt Interview: Al talks 'Carpenters' SACD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
For Carpenters fans who own or are familiar with the SACD "The Singles, 1969-1981", legendary engineer/producer Al Schmitt worked on that with Richard. Al has over 150 gold and platinum records to his name and 22 Grammy awards. We talk about many highlights in his career, including his work with Richard on the project and his sentiments on working with Karen's incredible voice.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris!!
So nice to hear him speak of Karen and her pure and natural untouched vocals. It seems he was awe struck in hearing how she was in perfect pitch all the time. I can only imagine what it must be like to hear Karen's vocals in "their studio" while they are mixing the album. We listen to the music on our systems but they must have much more expensive equipment and to hear Karen it must have been like she was still with us.

This all confirms that Karen really had a once in a lifetime voice!!!

I would love to have RC hand select the premium sound reproduction equipment sole purpose featuring Karen/CarpenterS as intended. What does Rich or for that matter, what did Karen listen to herself on? Headphones, speakers, amps? What would Richard suggest top drawer, midline and budget buys?
Hmmmm,
Jeff

Thanks for the insightful interview!
Nice to listen to someone in the music business who realizes the absolute uniqueness of Karen Carpenter's voice.
And, yet, another person for whom Karen's voice has made a lasting, positive, imprint.
(Wish I had an SACD-player, but it is not in the cards!)

How cool is that? An industry insider, a hands on the music kinda guy with nothing but praise and adoration for Karen's vocal prowess. Imagine if she were here to hear this type of review and commentary. Would she even believe her ears? To me this guy is just rappin bout stuff I've known all along. Think I'm gonna campaign the Vatican and champion Karen for sainthood...ya think I'm kidding? Give me John, Paul or the latest gent in charge with an email address and I'll present Miss Carpenter lickity split. I dunno the prerequisites but Karen's got one helluva resume'.

Jeff

For Carpenters fans who own or are familiar with the SACD "The Singles, 1969-1981", legendary engineer/producer Al Schmitt worked on that with Richard. Al has over 150 gold and platinum records to his name and 22 Grammy awards. We talk about many highlights in his career, including his work with Richard on the project and his sentiments on working with Karen's incredible voice.

al_schmitt.jpg

Al Schmitt Interview​
Thanks Chris..fascinating guy! Speaking of the Sacd, do you think it will ever be reissued for those of us that never got a copy?

I haven't listened to the 5.1 SACD for eons. Al's overview makes me wanna dive in for a dip.

Jeff

Thanks Chris..fascinating guy! Speaking of the Sacd, do you think it will ever be reissued for those of us that never got a copy?

Not too sure. Richard was in love with that project and format...I can ask him...

BTW, you can still find new and used copies of the SACD on eBay and Amazon FYI. I definitely feel that this one will continue to increase in value over time, especially given the information about the destruction of the 2" tapes following its release. The isolation capability with this disc is pretty significant as well. Just my $.02... :rolleyes:

Not too sure. Richard was in love with that project and format...I can ask him...
Thanks Chris. I can't afford $150 for eBay prices, but hoped this special edition would be reissued due to its quality.

Do you know if the remastering/remix involved using ProTools or traditional methods that Richard was use to employing?

I recall reading the multitracks were put onto disk at 24-bit/96kHz, but if I had to guess, it probably was mixed in ProTools.

I learned the hard way regarding earlier Carpenters limited runs like Japan's Treasures for instance....always buy as soon as the release comes out and don't wait because once it goes OOP the price jumps way up. The first SACD I got and didn't even have a player to play it but I knew if I didn't buy it when it was released I'd be paying a lot more later. The same goes for the current SACD's released and soon to be released next month.

Do you know if the remastering/remix involved using ProTools or traditional methods that Richard was use to employing?

Originally Richard told me everything was mixed from first-generation tape(s). I asked Al again tonight just to confirm it and he too said all of those mixes were done from the multi-track analog tapes. ProTools obviously would require a transfer to hard drive which was not the case according to both Richard and Al. Of course ProTools is wonderful (our show is recorded multi-track and mixed via ProTools actually) but in the case of the Carpenters, obviously the 2" first-generation is its purest form.

Last edited:
Originally Richard told me everything was mixed from first-generation tape(s). I asked Al again tonight just to confirm it and he too said all of those mixes were done from the multi-track analog tapes. ProTools obviously would require a transfer to hard drive which was not the case according to both Richard and Al. Of course ProTools is wonderful (our show is recorded multi-track and mixed via ProTools actually) but in the case of the Carpenters, obviously the 2" first-generation is its purest form.
Interesting...thanks for checking Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom