"Exclusive" Mendes track on 2005 Target holiday CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Neely

Industry Member
When you start looking for Christmas CDs in 2005, fans of Sergio might want to check out a Target CD called Holiday Jazz. It contains a new version of "The Christmas Song," which the sticker claims is exclusive to this CD. Best yet, the CD has a list price of $5.99.

The complete contents:
1. Sergio Mendes, "The Christmas Song" (2005)
2. David Benoit, "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" (1996)
3. Chris Botti, "Winter Wonderland" (2002)
4. Peter Cincotti, "My Facorite Time of Year" (2003)
5. Erin Boheme, "I'll Be Home for Christmas" (2005)
6. Monica Mancini, "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm" (2005)
7. Al Jarreau, "Christmas Morning" (2005)
8. Mindi Abair, "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" (2003)
9. Lee Ritenour, "White Christmas" (1988)
10. Jimmy Sommers, "What a Wonderful World" (2004)
11. Will Downing, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (2004)
12. Jamie Cullum, "Next Year Baby" (2003)

After seeing this post, I headed to Target and spent the $6 for the disc. Mendes' version is indeed a new one, and while it's nice, the 1969 version has more feel to it.

The rest of the disc, by the way, has a nice groove. Worth the money.

I'd also be anxious to hear the Al Jarreau track. He released a version of "The Christmas Song" back in the mid 80s, only as a promo to radio stations. I lucked into a promo CD of it a few years ago, but as far as I know that's the only other holiday song of his that I'm aware of.

The Lee Ritenour piece was recorded in 1988--I believe it's the version from the GRP Christmas Vol. 1 CD.

Lee Ritenour and Sergio Mendes were both previously on labels that were under the UMG umbrella, and Al Jarreau and David Benoit currently are as well (Verve and GRP, respectively). I wonder...are all of these tracks from UMG artists?

Rudy said:
I'd also be anxious to hear the Al Jarreau track. He released a version of "The Christmas Song" back in the mid 80s, only as a promo to radio stations. I lucked into a promo CD of it a few years ago, but as far as I know that's the only other holiday song of his that I'm aware of.

The Lee Ritenour piece was recorded in 1988--I believe it's the version from the GRP Christmas Vol. 1 CD.

Lee Ritenour and Sergio Mendes were both previously on labels that were under the UMG umbrella, and Al Jarreau and David Benoit currently are as well (Verve and GRP, respectively). I wonder...are all of these tracks from UMG artists?

The catalog number of the CD is Universal Music Special Products B0005411-02.

According to the licensing notes:
The Mendes, Cincotti, Boheme and Mancini are from Concord Records.
The Benoit, Abair, Ritenour and Downing are from Verve Music Group.
The Botti is from Sony BMG Entertainment.
The Jarreau is from YMC Records/World Digital Media Group.
The Sommers is from Gemini Records.
The Cullum is from Universal Classics & Jazz.

On one quick listen, it sounds like Gracinha handling the vocals. There are no musician or vocalist credits listed.

It's Gracinha and Dawn on the vocals....they worked on it during rehearsals for their gig in Japan a few months ago....

Tim Neely said:
The Jarreau is from YMC Records/World Digital Media Group.

I wonder if this is a UMG distributed label...Jarreau's last album, "Accentuate The Positive", was on Verve. Interesting...

As an aside, I'm totally mystified at "What A Wonderful World" on Christmas albums - and I've seen it on several.....

"What A Wonderful World"??? That's even more mystifying than "My Favorite Things" being considered a Christmas Song!

--Mr Bill

Just got it today--must say I'm a little underwhelmed, much prefer the B66 version (guess it's that curmudgeonly side coming through again :wink: ). Interesting "tip of the hat" to "Waters of March," though.

I thought it sounded a little like Waters of March at the begining.

The 2 singers, Gracinha and I guess Dawn, switch back and forth too much for my taste. It's more noticable with Gracinha's accent.

The song sounds very simple and barebones...

I like the Brasil '66 version better. I think Lani and Karen sing together better than Gracinha and Dawn.

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
As an aside, I'm totally mystified at "What A Wonderful World" on Christmas albums - and I've seen it on several.....

Which song--is it the Sam Cooke, or the different song as done by Louis Armstrong? I agree, and IMHO neither one fits the holiday mold, no matter how good the intentions.

Rudy said:
IMHO neither one fits the holiday mold, no matter how good the intentions.

I suppose if you use sleigh bells instead of cymbals for the eighth-note ride cymbal it could turn ANY song into a Christmas song. Just like using a steel/slide guitar in any song converts it into a country song...

--Mr Bill

I picked this one up this evening - and while I have to agree with the choice of the original Lani/Sergio vocal from the '60s, it's great to have SOMETHING new from Sergio. It's been ten long years!

Harry

Trevor said:

I like the Brasil '66 version better. I think Lani and Karen sing together better than Gracinha and Dawn.

Dear Forum members,

Although I did’nt hear the new version of the Christmas Song, I suppose it never ever can be topped.
I analyzed the Brasil ’66 version and I’am quite certain that not Richard Hazard or Dave Grusin did the orchestration. Maybe I’am wrong but it’s definitely Johnny Mandel IMHO. Correct if I’am wrong.
Notice those voicings in the strings and woodwinds!

All the best,

Aqua do Brasil

For confirmation purposes, the vocals are handled by Gracinha and Dawn. She told me about it in a recent e-mail.

Jon

Just got a copy of the new "Christmas Song" by Sergio & Company. I have to say, interesting nod to "Waters of March" here! Otherwise, I think it's a great track. I like the original version, too.

However, it's great that Sergio has revisited the past with his current, updated sound!! :bigsanta:

Jon

As I mentioned, I think it's a nice sounding update to the original, but my wishes are just that he and the group had done a *different* song.

If there are only, ever going to be two Sergio Mendes Christmas recordings in all of history, why does it have to be two recordings of the same song?

Harry

Harry said:
If there are only, ever going to be two Sergio Mendes Christmas recordings in all of history, why does it have to be two recordings of the same song?

I was kind of thinking the same thing. However, I was so grateful he'd recorded something new, I couldn't help but rave over this "new" (?) track!! :wink:

Jon

Well, a year or more has passed since this thread was active, and I've had occasion to again visit both of Sergio's renditions of "The Christmas Song". It's unfortunate to have to compare the two because they ARE the same song, but that's the reality. I'm finding that I like the new one much better than I did last year where I probably played it about three times and filed it away.

I really like Gracinha's turn as vocalist here. She doesn't get credit often enough, but her voice, her accent, all charmingly bring whatever recordings she's on firmly back into the classic Mendes "sound".

The nod to "Waters Of March" is actually pretty cool, just like the high strings in the old version echo many of the Grusin arrangements from that era.

I'm now glad they did this one, and I'm glad I got it.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom