First batch of TJB CD titles due out Feb. 8, 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Sidoruk said:
I would really like to read this article for myself. Every rendition of it so far has been a slightly different tune! :confused:

Exactly!

We've heard "Whipped Cream" will be an expanded edition from one source, while others have said all the CDs will contain original material only.

We've heard Herb recorded new trumpet parts only for the unreleased tracks that HAD no trumpet parts, and yet now I've heard from a "well placed" source who confirms the Billboard article saying that some of the trumpet parts on the original albums were also rerecorded.

We've even heard a different number of CDs to be released (either 14 or 16). And we're not even sure ALL of the albums will be released, as "Volume 2" has already been skipped over, and we now see that the "You Smile--The Song Begins" may be represented by five tracks on "Lost Treasures."

Shout!Factory won't tell us squat; Steve and I have both tried, and I think Steve got a little farther with it than I did. (And all I got was the same e-mailed press release that half the planet also got.) Nothing from Herb's office.

So basically, all *I* can do at this point is treat everything as a rumor and sit it out (none too happily, I might add) while everyone speculates on something that is still vaporware until February. For all the traffic we generate (busiest A&M and Alpert collector site on the 'net) and FREE publicity we create for these new releases, we don't even get table scraps. I could care less for MY sake, but I know all of YOU are here looking for some scrap of information amidst all the conflicting reports we've heard so far.

Damned frustrating.

I know I expressed some skepticism to the issue of the whole catalog being released. That's before it was known that Shout! was going to do it. I have been thinking about this and I believe that this is probably the best point in time for Herb to do these rereleases. I believe a significant part of the sales will happen through the Internet and it is really not until now that that would have been possible. I seriously doubt that any music store in Scandinavia is going to take in all of the albums,(most of them only have top 40 material anyway) but all the fans will order on the Net and Internet sales is a very inexpensive way of selling products. With all the problems in music retail and the general drop in sales the Internet is really what makes this project possible.

- greetings from the cold north -
Martin

Martin--I agree: if the stores here in the U.S. stock anything, it would probably be the following:

* One copy of each CD as it came out, and no restock;

* Whipped Cream and/or Lonely Bull perpetually available.

The internet sales are really going to drive these titles. I also wonder if Definitive Hits will soon be cut out or not. It would make sense for Shout!Factory to also release some kind of TJB retrospective (single or double CD) if that were the case.

According to my sources, Univer$sal still owns the rights to the TJB compilations. So I wouldn't expect a new one from Shout Factory. Besides, we've been compilationed to death by Univer$al. What we all want is the original albums re-released. The only "compilations" I would put money into at this time would be "Lost Tracks" like the one coming out in February. I'll buy a LT Vol. 2 if they release it and remix projects like the one scheduled for July. Repackaging mostly the same recordings in countless "Best Of" or "Greatest Hits" releases doesn't interest me. I have enough of those.

David,
hoping for a Lost Tresures Vol. 2...........

jvorzimmer said:
I have heard from Shout! recently that the only rerecording was on the tracks of Lost Treasures.

Jeff

Hello, welcome, and thanks for passing along the info. That's what we'd heard initially, and is what we're all hoping for.

Harry

Mr Bill said:
Bob 'get the' Knack said:
Does the 'G' in Kenny G stand for Grinch?

I believe it stands for either "Grating" or "Gawdawful."

--Mr Bill
sorry to offend any Kenny G fans out there...

Actually, it stands for "GGGAAAAAAAAAACCCKKK"!!!!!

Dan, clarifying...

I would think that most stores would want the LOST TREASURES CD in stock; THAT'S the one everybody is waiting for, because it's a NEW TJB album, in essence...every boomer who remembers the TJB in it's glory days will want a copy of it. Just think...times are a lot like they were in the mid '60's, and this is new escapist fare from an old and trusted source...and it is being released first...

Dan

Dan

Jerry Moss WAS involved in the process, as I recall the Billboard article saying; and if anyone is worried about YSTSB and CI not being rereleased, check out the songlist on LT...there are several songs listed that were on YSTSB, but none from CI...why would CI be rereleased and YSTSB be passed over? CI didn't chart as well as YSTSB did. If either album wouldn't be reissued, it would be CI...and if neither album is marketed, then CI certainly gets short shrift...and I don't think Herb would allow that.

My guess is that both albums will be rereleased, and that the songs we're concerned about were alternate takes that sound different enough from what finally made the album that Herb wants us to hear them on their own.

Randy said ALL of the albums will be rereleased, and since he was there and had a hand in the process, I'd trust him. Anybody who's ever been quoted or interviewed in the newspaper knows that it's very easy for the press to screw things up...that's why there's a letters column in most publications.

I might be full of sopa de frijoles here, but my gut instinct is that we're worrying over nothing. Herb knows we want ALL his albums, and that we'll buy them all. He's probably just as frustrated as we are that some have never made it to CD...

Dan

I just realized that I have achieved a personal milestone...a record, if you will...I HAVE JUST POSTED 4 TIMES IN A ROW...

Nobody else has ever done that.

Dan, being first...and very long winded...

Ah. Nice thing to do on Christmas Day - I've pre-ordered all three.

I'll warp them in holly paper when they arrive........

I wouldn't do that. Warped discs can damage your CD player.

David,
having a little holiday fun at Tony's expense...........

TonyCurrie said:
Ah. Nice thing to do on Christmas Day - I've pre-ordered all three.

I'll warp them in holly paper when they arrive........
Right On Tony. Merry Christmas to you and the entire A&M Corner family!

Great.......thanks for the preordering info. I just ordered 4 copies of each of them......some friends of mine will be getting a belated Christmas gift in February :angel:

Good Lord, i wish I had a nickel for every TJB tune I have spun in the last 40 years. I wouldn't be thinkin' how much it is going to cost to have all the new releases. Certainly well worth the expense though. Especially with the expanded liner notes and such. Thank God Herb is still with us and willing to treat US with such a wonderful 70th birthday present!!!

Even after 38 years of playing drums, it is still fun to sit behind the kit and play along with an hours worth of TJB!!! It is a good workout and emotionally satisfying. Thank you Nick for teaching me a lot of your licks!!!

ICE magazine had an article on Herb's rereleases, and that all of them are to be released with bonus tracks

This is incorrect. The ICE article says that ONLY WHIPPED CREAM will get the "expanded-edition" treatment.

When I get a chance, I'll scan and post the whole article. There is not much information in it that we don't already know, although (again) they don't mention anything beyond CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

It does contain a brief explanation by Herb about the rights to his catalog -- apparently, Universal was just given time to sell out all of their A&M inventory before the rights reverted back to Herb. That makes sense I guess...it wouldn't have been desirable to them to be stuck with a warehouse full of WHIPPED CREAM while Herb was reissuing it on another label.

Does anyone know if anyone else besides Amazon.com :mad: will be selling the TJB albums online? I have not had good luck with them. I checked Barnes & Noble but they don't have anything on the new albums yet.

Thanks.

Houckster said:
Does anyone know if anyone else besides Amazon.com :mad: will be selling the TJB albums online? I have not had good luck with them. I checked Barnes & Noble but they don't have anything on the new albums yet.

Thanks.

They will be available at any online store that carries major-label product as a matter of course. Amazon gets its info early is all.

I'm ready to advance-order multiple copies of the first three, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do so that will indirectly benefit the Corner here? In other words, Rudy, does the Corner have any arrangements with sponsors that will send some nickel$ your way if we can order through them?

I've never had a problem ordering anything through amazon. But in addition to online ordering, I also plan to buy the new CDs in a local independent store (Waterloo Records here in Austin is a lot more deserving of my music dollars than any of the chains), mainly because I want the experience of buying a new Herb Alpert & TJB record in a real record store just like the old days!...and for the chance of letting the clerks know there are still avid fans of this music.

Mike A

Rudy: Why don't we try to support the little guy. I have notified two local independent stores in Flint MI. Wyatt Earp Records owned by Doug Earp and Discount CD's and Tapes and a smattering of Vinyl owned by Mike Gelately. These guys can get the new stuff just as well as the big chain guys and give the same discounts with a larger order. If needed we can post addresses for these guys or just check local listings.

As Mike stated above, these guys are older like we are and know the significance of these re-releases. But, if nobody informs them, they may miss it in the fine print.

Most record store owners, if they are at least middle aged, they have Herb's stuff in there collection.

mikeargo said:
I'm ready to advance-order multiple copies of the first three, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do so that will indirectly benefit the Corner here? In other words, Rudy, does the Corner have any arrangements with sponsors that will send some nickel$ your way if we can order through them?

I'm not Rudy but I'll answer. Yes, follow the links on the main page of Tijuana Brass.com that will take you to amazon.com. Order there and a small percentage will be kicked back to help support A&M Corner. Every little bit helps.

Also, on the main page of A&m Corner, there's a link at the bottom of the page for Amazon and a few other sites where if you order, a small percentage goes to help pay the bills for this site.

Harry
...who plans to order through those very Amazon links very soon, online...

There was a comment in an earlier post from someone regarding Universal's ownership of the Alpert catalog. I cannot imagine that Alpert (and perhaps Moss, too) would sell A&M without retaining rights to the TJB catalog as part of the deal. If Herb was as finicky and particular about the catalog as purported, I would venture to guess he owns this catalog outright, and felt SHOUT would do it justice because of the fine releases Rhino has done with other artists.

Richard Carpenter, for example (another A&M artist) has purchased the rights to the Carpenters music, and now has complete control over it (so he can release anthology after anthology of the same music ---- ad nauseum).

But the point being, I'll bet Alpert owns his music! He's too smart of a businessman to take chances on it getting exploited or "lost" or misused.

Thoughts?

-Rob

chriscraft-guy said:
There was a comment in an earlier post from someone regarding Universal's ownership of the Alpert catalog.

That's not what the post said. First of all, Herb Alpert owns the masters to his own music as part of a lawsuit that was settled a couple of years ago. The post you refer to is that Uni owns the compilations of the Alpert/TJB stuff, which is basically irrelevant anyway, since Herb owns his own masters.

Capt. Bacardi
...clarifying, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom