Frank Gorshin - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Famed actor - and one-time A&M artist - Frank Gorshin died Tuesday at the age of 72. Most of us remember Gorshin as "The Riddler" on the Batman TV series, as well as a guest spot on one Star Trek show. From Yahoo:

'The Riddler' Frank Gorshin Dies at 72
capt.nyet12505181702.obit_frank_gorshin_nyet125.jpg

BURBANK, Calif. - Frank Gorshin, the impressionist with 100 faces best known for his Emmy-nominated role as the Riddler on the "Batman" TV series, has died. He was 72.

Gorshin's wife of 48 years, Christina, was at his side when he died Tuesday at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center, his agent and longtime friend, Fred Wostbrock, said Wednesday.
"He put up a valiant fight with lung cancer, emphysema and pneumonia," Mrs. Gorshin said in a statement.

Despite dozens of TV and movie credits, Gorshin will be forever remembered for his role as the Riddler, Adam West's villainous foil in the question mark-pocked green suit and bowler hat on "Batman" from 1966 to '69.

"It really was a catalyst for me," Gorshin recalled in a 2002 Associated Press interview. "I was nobody. I had done some guest shots here and there. But after I did that, I became a headliner in Vegas, so I can't put it down."

West said the death of his longtime friend was a big loss.

"Frank will be missed," West said in a statement. "He was a friend and fascinating character."

Gorshin earned another Emmy nomination for one for a guest shot on "Star Trek," a 1969 episode called "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield."

In 2002, Gorshin portrayed George Burns on Broadway in the one-man show "Say Goodnight Gracie." He used only a little makeup and no prosthetics.

"I don't know how to explain it. It just comes," he said. "I wish I could say, `This is step A, B and C.' But I can't do that. I do it, you know. The ironic thing is I've done impressions all my life — I never did George Burns."

Gorshin's final performance will be broadcast on Thursday's CBS series "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation."

Born in Pittsburgh, Gorshin broke into show business in New York. He did more than 40 impressions, including Al Jolson, Kirk Douglas, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin and James Cagney.

Later, he took his impressions to "The Ed Sullivan Show" on a memorable evening — the same night the Beatles were featured. He did impressions in Las Vegas showrooms, opening for Darin and paving the way for other impressionists like Rich Little.

Sammy Davis Jr. said it was Gorshin who taught him to do impressions, Wostbrock said.

"He said you had to look like them and walk like them. Once you get that down, the voice comes easy," he said.

Gorshin's movie roles included "Bells are Ringing" (1960) with his idol Dean Martin and a batch of fun B-movies such as "Hot Rod Girl" (1956), "Dragstrip Girl" (1957) and "Invasion of the Saucer Men" (1957).

"He was fun, fascinating, wild and always a class act," Wostbrock said. "Here's a guy who always wore great clothes, stood up when a woman walked into the room — he was a gentleman. We did all our deals with a handshake. There was never a signed contract."

His other TV credits included roles on "General Hospital, "The Edge of Night" and "The Munsters" as well as guest appearances on "Donny & Marie," "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson," "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman," "Murder, She Wrote," "The Fall Guy," "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century," "Wonder Woman," "Charlie's Angels" and "Police Woman."

Besides his wife, Gorshin leaves his son Mitchell Gorshin of Orlando, Fla., and sister Dottie Roland of Pittsburgh.

Wostbrock said the funeral would be private and Gorshin would be buried in the family plot in Pittsburgh.

Capt. Bacardi

According to TV Tomb,In 1966 Frank Gorshin appeared on the Red Skelton show along with the The Baja Marimba Band.He also cut a record single or an album on A&M.I think it may have been a single featuring him as the Riddler.

(':)

Smile

ED.

once again,i am shocked that another celebrity has been taken from us!and it's so funny;yesterday,i was thinking about batman! i used to love frank gorshin's rendition of the riddler,and can do a very good impression of his laugh! i had a chance to meet frank at a comicbook convention a few years ago,but the line was too long,so i went to meet adam west instead....i figured'well,maybe next time,i'll see him at another convention'next time never came...i could kick myself now for not meeting him when i should've that day! anyway to his family and fans,my sympathies.

"Never Let Her Go" is Gorshin (as himself) singing, while "Riddler" is a series of ... you guessed it ... riddles done in character.
JB

images

"Never Let Her Go" is actually a song written by David Gates later of Bread... I think Gates actually produced and arranged Gorshin's version of this song (not to mention versions done by Glen Yarbrough, among others) before doing his own version of it on a solo LP, after Bread broke-up...

Thanks Jim, for playing it AND "Riddle Me This...!!!" :D

And we miss you, Frank! :jester: ...Whoops, that's The Joker!! (Cesar Romero) :angel:

Dave

Riddle: What do you call a sleeping bull?
Answer: A bull dozer.

Riddle: What is the difference between an elephant and a flea?
Answer: An elephant can have fleas, but a flea can't have elephants.

Riddle: What did one chick say when another chick laid an orange instead of an egg?
Answer: Look at the orange marma laid.

Riddle: What's easier to spell? fiddle-dee-dee or fiddle-dee-dum?
Answer: Fiddle-dee-dee. Because it's spelled with more ease.

(excerpts from "The Riddler" by Frank Gorshin, A&M 804)

JB

A trivia question for you: WHo is the other actor to play teh Riddler on the original TV series? Hints: he was married to an Award winning actress and his son had a featured role in the Lord Of The Rings films...

--Mr Bill

Yep! Not really that hard if you were a regular fan (like I was as a kid) of the series!

--Mr B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom