🎵 AotW Glen Burtnik - TALKING IN CODE (SP-5114)

LPJim

Staff member
Glen Burtnik
TALKING IN CODE
A&M SP-5114
1362048086-glen.jpg

A1 Crank It UpWritten-By – Glen Burtnick 4:10
A2 Talking In CodeWritten-By – Glen Burtnick, Reed Nielsen 4:19
A3 Little Red HouseWritten-By – Glen Burtnick, Reed Nielsen 3:45
A4 Perfect WorldWritten-By – Glen Burtnick, Steve Krikorian 4:09
A5 Hole In My PocketWritten-By – Bob Miller, Glen Burtnick 3:51
B1 Brave HeartsWritten-By – Bob Miller, Glen Burtnick 3:56
B2 Hold Back The NightWritten-By – Glen Burtnick, Reed Nielsen 3:38
B3 Talk That TalkWritten-By – Glen Burtnick 3:32
B4 Heart On The LineWritten-By – Glen Burtnick, Reed Nielsen 3:36
B5 We're AlrightWritten-By – David Prater (2), Glen Burtnick 3:58

• Voice, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Percussion – Glen Burtnick
Engineered at The Grey Room, Grandslam and One On One
Mixed at Can-Am Recorders

Released 1986 and issued on CD by A&M of Japan as # D32Y3036
Reissued in 2008 by A&M Universal as # 5300437

JB

Last edited:
I've never run across this one, actually! Anyone know if this disc is any good? I'm only familiar with Heroes & Zeros.

If his name sounds familiar to you but you're not sure why, Burtnik later went on to briefly replace Tommy Shaw in Styx - he appears on the band's 1990 comeback album Edge of the Century and its two Top 40 singles "Show Me the Way" and "Love at First Sight" (he also co-wrote the latter). He'd also go on to co-write the massive Patty Smyth/Don Henley hit "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough."

I have a vinyl copy, although it's not something I play very often these days. Not that it isn't any good, because it is a rather decent effort from Glen early on. I actually prefer HEROES AND ZEROS over this one, but TALKING IN CODE is still a worthwhile listen if you're into Glen Burtnick's style from that era. My personal favorites on this one are the first four tracks. After that, a lot of the album seems to follow the same trend, only with lesser songwriting. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it about a 5. So if you find a copy, go ahead and pick it up. But get it cheap.

HEROES AND ZEROS is a much better album, IMHO.

Last edited:
I've never run across this one, actually! Anyone know if this disc is any good? I'm only familiar with Heroes & Zeros.

If his name sounds familiar to you but you're not sure why, Burtnik later went on to briefly replace Tommy Shaw in Styx - he appears on the band's 1990 comeback album Edge of the Century and its two Top 40 singles "Show Me the Way" and "Love at First Sight" (he also co-wrote the latter). He'd also go on to co-write the massive Patty Smyth/Don Henley hit "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough."
Actually the lead-off single from EDGE OF THE CENTURY was the opening track "Love Is The Ritual" sang by Glen. He also handled vocals on the title track, as well as "World Tonite" and the acoustic power ballad "All In A Day's Work". None of which were 'hits' per se... but then again, his voice was not the sound of Styx.

I guess if I had to pick a favorite from this album, I'd have to choose "Crank It Up".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom