Happy Birthday LANI HALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocalosa

For those like me who were and still are crazy about the first and second line-ups of BRASIL´66, I want to remind you of Lani Hall´s birthday today, Nov.6th. Lani is turning 65 but still looks great and with a marvellous voice...Just listen to her latest outing with hubby Mr. Alpert. They are both great !!!! Nice to see that Brazilian music has never left Lani´s heart. After so many years, she is still performing Brazilian songs and what is best in my own language Portuguese. Well, I take this opportunity to say to you and who knows to Sergio Mendes who may one day come across this note that the old groups are back again and that nostalgia is indeed a good feeling...what I am trying to say is that it would be lovely if Mr. Mendes regrouped Lani, beloved Karen, sweet Janis together with João Palma ( I don´t know if he´s still alive ), José Soares and the missing Bob Mathews...as to the second line-up of musicians, I am sad to say they´ve all passed away..Tião Netto, Rubens Bassini and fantastic Do Um Romão. Imagine if they recorded together again..I insist on my thought that nothing is impossible. Please, fans, let me know if you´d like that too.
My love to you all and to Lani hall, Karen Philipp and Janis hansen, João Carlos.

While Wikipedia lists Lani's birthday as November 6, 1945, other sources say 1948, which is the date I have seen for decades until now.

If that's the case, Lani just celebrated her 62nd, not her 65th.

Surely Herb must know Lani's real birth-year--and I think Lani, herself, does, too!

Dave :tongue:artyhat:

So that would mean Lani was about 18 when she started with Brazil '66? Maybe the older birth date allowed her to play venues she couldn't as a teen?

I believe (but am not positive) on one of the various A&M-related interview programs, Sergio says that she was 19 when he discovered her in Chicago...might have to stage a listening party tonight and verify that!

Never thought Lani´s age could be so important to be discussed that way...When I say she is now 65 , it´s because she herself told me her age back in 1968 when I had the opportunity to talk with her and Karen. When she joined Brasil´66 she was indeed 19 but in November of that same year ( 1966 ) she turned 20. OK? If that bothers you, either ask her or perhaps Mr. Alpert might know it. Regardless her age, she still sings beautifully, which is what really matters to me.
Rest my case!!!

It takes some lead time to organize a new group so surely Sergio would have first met Lani in 1965 before Brasil 66 started touring in 1966 So let's say Sergio discovered Lani in the summer of 1965 and she was 19 as he claimed. In November of 1965 she would turned 20. Forty-five years later she is 65.

Not that it matters one way or the other, but:

If she was 19 turning 20 in 1966, then she's 64 this year, according to the math I was taught in school.

Nov. 1966 = 20
Nov. 1976 = 30
Nov. 1986 = 40
Nov. 1996 = 50
Nov. 2006 = 60
Nov. 2007 = 61
Nov. 2008 = 62
Nov. 2009 = 63
Nov. 2010 = 64

Last I looked, this WAS November of 2010, right?

Harry

jocalosa said:
Never thought Lani´s age could be so important to be discussed that way...When I say she is now 65 , it´s because she herself told me her age back in 1968 when I had the opportunity to talk with her and Karen. When she joined Brasil´66 she was indeed 19 but in November of that same year ( 1966 ) she turned 20. OK?

Fine...except that would make her 64, not 62 or 65.

Prior to the advent of the internet, every printed source I'd ever seen said 1948.

It's important only in that this site has a decade worth of sweating the details to thank for its reputation as the source for all things A&M.

Happy Belated Birthday,Mrs.Alpert!! Thank you for autographing the cd of you and your husband's last album for me when you all played at the Nokia Theater here in NY last year!

I wish you all the best, and here's to many more birthdays for you!
God Bless,
jazzdre

It's important only in that this site has a decade worth of sweating the details to thank for its reputation as the source for all things A&M.
Thanks for that. Sometimes it might seems that we get a little too "anal" about getting things exactly right, but the hope is that people can come here for the definitive answers.

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Harry, thank you for your fine math. Logic dictates that you must be correct, or at least darn close.

Well, I was a product of the public school system of the '50s and '60s, so I guess that counts for something. At least they taught us math back in those days...

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
Sometimes it might seems that we get a little too "anal" about getting things exactly right, but the hope is that people can come here for the definitive answers.

That or you can buy a copy of the A&M Records Collectors guide, FROM BRASS TO GOLD & get at least SIX birth-dates, per each A&M Artist--including Lani Hall!

Dave

Holders of the truth..I did make a mistake when I wrote 20 years in 1966, she actually turned 21 on Nov 6th...whether you believe it or not, it is none of my business, I just wanted from the very start to remind you of her birthday that noone seemed to have remembered . Finding faults with someone´s else contribution is very easy but adding relevant info is a privilege that very few can share. I´ve learned my lesson and shall never post anything else related to Brasil´66. I´d much rather listen to their music than read those ridiculous comments that some of you have made. Goodbye!

jocalosa said:
Holders of the truth..I did make a mistake when I wrote 20 years in 1966, she actually turned 21 on Nov 6th

So, then she'd be 65 this year. My "math" was simply based on what you posted, not what her actual birthdate is. You appeared to be sure of yourself, so I took it upon good faith that you were right.

So, you were off by one. So what? Mistakes are easy enough to make. Your intent was to wish Lani a Happy Birthday, and you did just that. You should get the credit for at least remembering, while the rest of us "Holders Of The Truth" were sitting idly by.

jocalosa said:
Finding faults with someone´s else contribution is very easy but adding relevant info is a privilege that very few can share.

I don't think anyone was out to "find fault" with your post, but merely to bring up the fact that the Internet is filled with conflicting information, particularly on the subject of birth years. The fact that it was brought up at all was simply to perhaps help clarify the record.

jocalosa said:
I´ve learned my lesson and shall never post anything else related to Brasil´66. I´d much rather listen to their music than read those ridiculous comments that some of you have made. Goodbye!

Again, I don't think anyone was trying to "teach you a lesson", but just trying to clarify the record. And you yourself DID just admit to making a mistake. Rather than being so harsh on your fellow Lani Hall fans, IMHO I'd think you'd be a little more humble regarding your innocent mistake of posting incorrect information.

We certainly can't force anyone to post here - but you're always welcome to.

Harry

That's right! If you buy the $3,000 book, you get the copyrighted dates of birth, that nobody else on God's green earth can use. :D

Steve Sidoruk said:
That's right! If you buy the $3,000 book, you get the copyrighted dates of birth, that nobody else on God's green earth can use. :D

I think the deal is that while Patty and Mildred Hill get a royalty check everytime someone sings "Happy Birthday To You", anyone who actually HAS a birthday has to pay a royalty to the author of From Brass To Gold. ...Or something like that... :D

Harry

Harry said:
jocalosa said:
Finding faults with someone´s else contribution is very easy but adding relevant info is a privilege that very few can share.

I don't think anyone was out to "find fault" with your post, but merely to bring up the fact that the Internet is filled with conflicting information, particularly on the subject of birth years. The fact that it was brought up at all was simply to perhaps help clarify the record.

Harry

Absolutely. I'm sorry jocalosa took it personally.

Here's where I'm coming from: I was a radio programmer and DJ from 1971-1981. Since then, I've been a journalist. From 1971 until recently, I had only run across one birthdate for Lani: November 6, 1948. That changed with the arrival of the internet, which shows 1948 and 1945.

The problem with the 'net, as has been demonstrated time and again, is that erroneous information gets copied, pasted and spread to dozens, if not hundreds of websites. Bad enough for typos and legitimate errors...do-it-yourself encyclopedias like Wikipedia make it possible to put guesses, assumptions and just plain BS into circulation and have it picked up by folks who don't know or don't care how Wikipedia works.

As I said before, whether it was 1948 or 1945 matters only because A&M Corner is more than just another website. It is, like another of my proudest online associations, Reelradio, a veritable online museum....the authority on its chosen subject. And that reputation is due to a core of people who care deeply about this remarkable record label and its artists.

It matters on one other level, too.

Married guys will get this immediately.

Go wish any woman over 30 a happy birthday and inflate the number by 3 years. If Lani is indeed 62 and not 65, I guarantee you it matters to her. :D

Michael Hagerty said:
Go wish any woman over 30 a happy birthday and inflate the number by 3 years. If Lani is indeed 62 and not 65, I guarantee you it matters to her. :D

I heard that! My girlfriend just turned 52 last weekend, but if I know what's good for me - and if I ever want to see her naked again - she's 39 from now 'til forever! :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi

Maybe Lani will include the Beatles' "When I'm 64" in her next tour or CD...?

Let's see, I first met Lani & Janis Hansen in August, 1967 when I was about 17 yrs & 2 months old, so she's how much older.......hmmmm, guess I'm getting too old to figure it out.....! :D

BTW, saw them again on Oct. 27, 1967 (still have the ticket stub) where they performed their 'Equinox' set (as opposed to 'HAP' set just 2 months prior, so this was just before Lani's next birthday....whatever age THAT was.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom