Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

wideawakeat4am

Someone sent this to me earlier, knowing what a big fan I am of Karen, so I thought I would share it on here:

I can understand the reluctance to listen to such artists, but I'd suggest just clicking on the link, closing your eyes and listening for about three minutes and thirty seconds anyway...

I did look for a thread and couldn't find one, but apologies if it has been posted before.

You can click through her other songs on your own, but I'll link you to this one in particular. A cover of "Home" by Michael Buble. If I didn't know what I was clicking on, I'd swear this was a lost Carpenters recording.

WOW! In the second verse "Maybe surrounded by/A million people I/Still feel all alone/I just wanna go home", you'd swear it was Karen. She has all the inflections and vocal fry in her voice that Karen does. Listen to the way she sings the word 'Paris' in the opening line. Need to check more of this girl out!

You can click through her other songs on your own, but I'll link you to this one in particular. A cover of "Home" by Michael Buble. If I didn't know what I was clicking on, I'd swear this was a lost Carpenters recording.

Wow. Is she possibly related to Karen Carpenter? Her reading and tone are eerily familiar.

Found this article about her online. She was rocked to sleep to Carpenters music.
https://chartshaker.wordpress.com/2...talks-musical-inspirations-with-chart-shaker/

Last edited:
I just love that phrase "vocal fry," Stephen--a perfect capture of the quality that allows a singer's emotion to cut both ways via that beautifully controlled, naturally delivered "catch" in the voice. Great term!

Man, would it be great to hear Harriet's vocal track of "Home" augmented by some of Richard's arranging? You bet it would be!! She even says (on her web site) that she was raised as a baby listening to the Carps! [...props to song4u for noting that as well...] And says that one of her favorite all-times songs is "A Song For You"!! (Leon's version, but still...)

Now, clearly, she's not Karen--there will never, ever be another Karen--but she's awfully good in many of the same ways that Karen was superlative, and it's REALLY nice to hear someone capable of exploring that same emotional territory with such elegant, deceptive simplicity. Thanks so much for posting, wideawake! A wonderful early Xmas present...

I just love that phrase "vocal fry," Stephen--a perfect capture of the quality that allows a singer's emotion to cut both ways via that beautifully controlled, naturally delivered "catch" in the voice. Great term!

Man, would it be great to hear Harriet's vocal track of "Home" augmented by some of Richard's arranging? You bet it would be!! She even says (on her web site) that she was raised as a baby listening to the Carps! [...props to song4u for noting that as well...] And says that one of her favorite all-times songs is "A Song For You"!! (Leon's version, but still...)

Now, clearly, she's not Karen--there will never, ever be another Karen--but she's awfully good in many of the same ways that Karen was superlative, and it's REALLY nice to hear someone capable of exploring that same emotional territory with such elegant, deceptive simplicity. Thanks so much for posting, wideawake! A wonderful early Xmas present...

No problem, Don, I'm glad you enjoyed it! As I said, I only heard it myself for the first time last night and I thought I would have been last to the party...as I so often am :wink:

I would agree with what others have said about her vocals. I think I would have thought it was a lost recording had I not known that it was another singer, but there quite a few similarities - not least, that haunting feel to her voice and the drawing in of the listener. Also the song is 'very Karen' with the heartbreak and the hope that if she just hangs on in there things will get better.

I love the fact that she was rocked to sleep with Karen's singing. Without wishing to sound to whacky, it's as though Karen was singing to her from another world and thus leaving some of her voice in Harriet.

My first post,so hello everyone.
I was driving home few weeks ago and heard Harriets song 'first and last' played on BBC radio 2. It was then played again a week later so I turned it up really loud and listened to her songs on youtube when home. Last night the above Christmas song was played on radio 2.
Harriet has a webpage also.
First and last is my favourite. It has so many Karen-isms.
I am still building a Carpenters collection so look forward to reading through all the postings.

Darren.

Awhile back it was rumored that Richard was going to be working with a promising singer. Do you suppose this is her? If so, I wonder what happened. If not, surely he has heard her sing. Speaking of who Richard could produce!

:D I don't know...he'd probably put her too far back in the mix... :tongue:

Seriously, this lady is talented and I hope we hear more of her.

Harry
She does have a prominent chin for the caricatures. :whistle:

Despite her similar phrasing and style, she has her own beautiful voice. I'll be following her. :cool:

Thank you very much wideawakeat4am for cluing us in to this singer. If you're on Soundcloud look her up on harrietsmusic. There's a Syrius XM interview with her on her page. :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much wideawakeat4am for cluing us in to this singer. If you're on Soundcloud look her up on harrietsmusic. There's a Syrius XM interview with her on her page. :)

No problem, song4u! It's just good fortune that BBC Radio 2 over here have played her track a few times, then someone I know heard it being played and told me about it.

I'm not on soundcloud, but thanks for the information anyway :) I'll try and find the interview some other way.

Wow, great post, where did this Harriet come from, I've never heard her before, is she from the UK or the US?
I agree with those posted above, she has a very similar Karen style and her lower register is very pleasing and at times does sound very Karen like. I've been listening to her you tube page and then went to iTunes but iTunes only has 2 albums by her both are EP's but I don't see the track Home to purchase, did she do any other albums besides the 2 EP singles?

I just listened to this track from her you tube page and I really like her lower voice, I can really hear Karen in her singing. It's almost like the same feeling I got with Akiko but Harriet is better as there is no language barrier that transmits in like Akiko's did at times.

I may need to purchase her EP's.
The photo used above on the front of her "Grown Up Christmas List" EP, if you look at just her cheekbones they look just like Karen's when she smiles, even more eerie.

Check this one out.

Check this one out.

"Some part of me has been here before...you'll hear it in my voice" - Goosebumps!

I wonder if Richard has even heard of her? She's great. And not just because she sounds like Karen, but her material is great and the arrangements are really classy. Check this recent article out - it seems she's testing the commercial waters with EP releases. And yes, there's a KC reference in there too :)

https://chartshaker.wordpress.com/2...talks-musical-inspirations-with-chart-shaker/

You can subscribe to her youtube channel here - she posts comments with her videos :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyRgi4QVN5tPAzcSTP3ytA

Last edited:
Exactly, I just listened to "What's Mine is Yours" about 3 times tonight for the first time, I literally got goosebumps on some of these lyrics...I've been listening now for hours. I'm off to purchase her 2 EP's, it seems they are only downloads no physical CD's.

"It's in the music...somebody played me...from a warmer time"
These lyrics are so haunting in a way, I really like this song. What's Mine is Yours"

After just a few listens, I think this girl is destined for bigger things...the UK music websites are all over her (incidentally, she's from Hertfordshire in England :)). It's been a long time since I've heard a voice as good as this. She has restraint, emotion, wisdom and purity all wrapped up in one. A bit like another singer I could mention :wink:. Check this review out:

It seems almost unreal that Harriet debuted her first track, Afterglow, online in only January of this year. Her evocative singing style, diverse musical influences and mellifluous instrumental arrangements seem to have been part of every day life for a lot longer. Fittingly, her debut EP (entitled What's Mine Is Yours) explores how the human voice can have an innate quality which is incredibly personal yet universal to many - and, despite being new, feels warm and familiar resonating with another place and time. This is definitely true for Harriet who sings with a wisdom & worldly awareness that belies her years; her vocals effortlessly gliding across time and space to imprint on memories made & soundtracking your current life experiences. Her exquisitely nuanced delivery coalesces with lyrics that are sheer poetry & arrangements that sparkle with luminous emotions. All this together crafts music that doesn't need to succumb to fads and trends; rather it transcends genres and speaks to anyone willing to listen. The EP brings together 3 songs of startling beauty and inherent melodic magnificence that will remind you of a simpler time when a mellifluous score, heartfelt lyrics and an unforgettable vocal was all the art form demanded. Glorious...

What's Mine Is Yours ~ elegant, delicate piano chords bring the song into being with a soothing percussion that gently nudges the tune along. The words (co-written by Harriet with Steve and Judie) examine how music can touch your life, bring your experiences into a more vivid focus and soothe the torments that might have accompanied the more turbulent times. It's a song that works as a commentary on those timeless classics that we all adopt into our lives yet speaks of the gift that Harriet has been given with her calming refined vocal style. Play her music next to Carole King or Karen Carpenter and it delivers just as much impassioned sonority. Put this on after Abba's My Love My Life or Thank You For The Music & be whisked away to your own island of remembrance. It's evidentiary proof that Harriet doesn't need age to deliver the gravity and impact of the lyrics she sings - she's lived these songs & sentiments through record collections and a love of abiding musicality. She's fortunate enough to be able to continue carrying the torch for these legends as she carves out her own place in history. I don't doubt she will make it - the world melts away when she sings as if nothing else matters; even when she sings of more melancholy moments there's still just the tiniest hint of gratitude in her vocals that she can provide the perfect prescription to our worldly woes. Absolutely breathtaking.

http://myfizzypop.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/harriet-whats-mine-is-yours-ep.html

Last edited:
Excellent post Stephen and I agree with who wrote that to a tee....I've only listened tonight and with headphones on it's taking me back to the early times with Karen and Richard when...well as this person wrote above: "heartfelt lyrics and an unforgettable vocal was all the art form demanded"

Perfect examples as well of Carole King, Karen Carpenter and Abba, might I also throw in that she has the looks too of a superstar.
These reviews are right on the money.

If you get a chance listen to her version of, "I'm Not In Love" you can hear her vocal fry at 1:20-1:25 when she says, "don't make a fuss"
I swear this sounds just like how Karen did on a few of her vocal fry moments. This is so cool to hear, it's really incredible.

If you get a chance listen to her version of, "I'm Not In Love" you can hear her vocal fry at 1:20-1:25 when she says, "don't make a fuss". I swear this sounds just like how Karen did on a few of her vocal fry moments. This is so cool to hear, it's really incredible.

Spot on Chris! Reminds me of the way she sings the word 'because' on so many songs. There's a lot of Karen's vocal fry on 'Where Do I Go From Here', which is what that moment reminded me of most.

I noticed she has quite a few tracks on her you tube channel that are not on the 2 EP's to download such as, First and Last, I'm Not In Love, Home, Can I Keep You.

What's weird for me is that I loved the first song I ever heard from her and the more I listen to what she has recorded the more I like her vocals. I wonder if she will be recording a full album soon? I haven't warmed this fast to an artist since...Olivia, Karen, Abba, Jann and the likes.

Wow, I just listened to "Afterglow" for the first time, man she really goes down into her lower register, I swear this is the sweet spot that Karen would go into from the early days with Carpenters. This song has Karen written all over it, in the delivery, the words, the lyric change, tempo and pitch. I hope we hear more from her, she needs to team up with a producer that can really show her vocals off like these tracks. I wonder if this was the person that Richard was to work with as Song4u mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom