Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

WOW! That is amazing (and great skills). I must admit i couldn't actually hear the difference - didn't quite tell who was who until the second play. Amazing. Strange. But, amazing.

It's hard to believe this thread was started almost 2 yrs now and we still don't have a full album of original material. The covers have been nice but I'm starting to feel like she is just a covers artist. I've sorta lost the magic of as an artist when I first heard her sing "What's Mine Is Yours"

I agree Rick. The lustre has faded in my eyes for both Harriet and Rumer. Rumer at least has a great first album, but since then it's been mostly covers. I've heard of a Rumer-Bacharach album, but again, that'll just be all covers. There have to be songwriters out there who are looking for a "voice".

Harry

All I can tell you, Rick, is that she recently tweeted that she was recording new material and recently writing a song with a guitarist, Rikki Glover. Where all this is leading I do not know. Yes, a full album would be nice, and at some point if no record deal comes through, she should plan on an independent release. At least one hopes. :)

There are videos of her St James Theatre show on YouTube. I really enjoyed the songs she has added. Don't think anyone can top The Corrs covering Dreams though. The Spice Girls tune was cute. Is her back up singer her sister? She posted on her website about the show.

Thank you for making us aware of the YouTube show. I had only seen a few snippets of her show that she put on her Instagram account. It looks like she had a good show, and seems to becoming more comfortable on stage with her songs. Loved the new ones! Finally heard "Permission to Kiss" and "Let You Go" live. I really loved her new song "Empty Shoes." Very nice. For those who want to see it I am pasting the link to the playlist. Warning -JumpinSounds recorded her show last summer and it was later taken down, so I do not know how long this will be there. (oh and I am pretty sure the backup singer is not her sister).

Harriet (@Harrietsmusic) @St_JamesTheatre, 12th Feb 2016 - YouTube »

Harriet has posted "Permission to Kiss" the studio version on SoundCloud. I know she recorded this at least a year ago, releasing now. As far as I know, there is no word on an album. Does anyone else know differently?

The new song "Permission to Kiss" reminds me of a Michael Buble' song. I usually check her facebook page about once a week, unfortunately I've sorta lost interest and seems she's run into a stand still. I had high hopes back in 2014 that her album would be released soon or at least in 2015 and she could make some status in the record industry but it's a hard business to crack into and stay current. It's sorta happened to Rumer in that I hardly hear anyone talking about her anymore.

It would be nice if Harriet had some kind of interest, a cause that is near and dear to her or something that's affected her personally or anything that she could engage her viewers on her facebook page, to be honest I know very little about her and what she is all about....she's obviously a very pretty woman but most of her facebook page is just cute photos of her in different poses or blowing kisses...she needs to find a way to engage her viewers other than cute photos of just her...a different direction while her album takes hold. This is why I've lost interest and only check now and then. I wish her the best and hope her album arrives in 2016 and not another year. I'll surely buy the album but until then I'm slowly losing interest.

...This is why I've lost interest and only check now and then. I wish her the best and hope her album arrives in 2016 and not another year. I'll surely buy the album but until then I'm slowly losing interest.

Rick, hang in there! Don't give up! (Of course, I know you intend to buy the new album.) While you certainly make great points about Harriet's need to further engage fans with more than "cute photos of just her," perhaps she is still finding herself in terms of her public persona. Perhaps there is currently a small operation and a modest inner circle.

I think it's safe to say that, in the early years, A&M made mistakes with Carpenters in regard to projecting the right image and, in later years, adequately promoting them. So the formative years of one's career can include some missteps. (I'm no stranger to those myself.)

In my opinion, two major factors regarding Harriet are instrumental in maintaining an interest:
  1. Harriet's voice sounds incredibly like that of Karen Carpenter. In my opinion, no one else comes anywhere near as close, not Rumer (who I also enjoy), not Akiko, not Dami Im. But Harriet is a talented singer in her own right and has her own identity. Her selection of covers and her own songs are quite enjoyable (also similar in style to Carpenters).
  2. Harriet has thus far done an outstanding job in reaching out to her fans, via FaceBook (though I'm not in that particular universe, my sister has kept me up to date there) and with her Diamond and Gold CD packages, delivering everything as promised, listing names of such members in the liner notes, and individualizing the cards and notes with such loving attention to detail. Who else does this?!?!
Again, I am grateful to this forum for bringing Harriet to my attention, especially wideawakeat4am (thread starter) and others, such as Rick-An Ordinary Fool, garyjo777, song4u, kprather, newvillefan, Murray, Timmerman, Nicko, and JamieHarrison (I hope I didn't leave anyone out), who have notified us of late-breaking Harriet news. There is much to admire in Harriet thus far. I am truly immersing myself in her music and I am excited about her upcoming album. I am rooting for her, and I am thrilled that I have been a part of her early fan base.

Anyone going into the music business these days walks in the shoes of people who have both been appreciated by some and picked apart by the press, no matter how talented. Why would someone want to put their personal life out there?

Harriet comes across as a nice, very talented young woman who really seems to be doing her best showing her appreciation to those who are faithfully following her and cheering her on. As James pointed out, she expresses great appreciation by writing personalized, signed notes to include with her CD's. Anyone on these forums knows how valuable those may be in the future, should her career take off as did Adele's.

Her website and interviews on SoundCloud tell all you really need to know about her. Let her have her personal life.

I've been away for a very long time. Personal life. You know how it is. I promised a review of the show I attended. That is still coming. I promise.

Before I carry on Harriet has added a brand new original song on her soundcloud which is available to download. Free. Harriet - Forgive If Not Forget (Demo) »

In my opinion its brilliant and one of the closest to Karen she's ever sounded before.

I do understand the frustrations of Rick. I too feel it sometimes. It is taking so long. But, I follow a few artists who are just starting. Many utilise crowd funding sites to support their music and careers. Its peculiar Harriet hasn't gone down that route. Perhaps its just not for her. Live, she is amazing. I have a real belief she is still trying out ideas. And, we're just the ones who caught on earlier than the mainstream.

Great write up James.

I think some of you know what I'm talking about but others may not....I'm not asking that she put her personal info all out, she has the right to keep her personal life just that...there are so many other ways to engage the viewers. I'm talking about her interests or things to bring the readers along on her journey.

I'll use Olivia as an example, her facebook page covers many things that interest Olivia thus she believes they might interest her readers or fans as well. Obviously she has her cancer research facility in Melbourne and that is great but she also has articles on horses, clothing lines, the One Tree Per Child foundation, people who have met her backstage (I'm sure that will come in time with Harriet) when Olivia often visits a country she has performed in she will often show photos of her while she's there, for instance she showed these huge castles on the sands of the Rio de Janeiro beach, she shows items the fans have given her..she has provided articles how we can keep our pets and children safe from harmful chemicals in our environment. These are personal things but not private personal things...there's a difference. I'm not asking for Harriet to provide personal private information. I hope you all understand what I'm talking about.

I remember when Harriet mentioned she went to Istanbul that would have been a perfect time to show us things that she saw, she didn't necessarily have to be in the photos but take the fans along in seeing what you saw and how you reacted. If she didn't want to do that find other ways to engage the viewers in what are important issues to you that are most likely important issues to others. Jann Arden has been writing a lot on her facebook page about what it's like to go through the process of dealing with a parent (her mother) who has Alzheimer's disease. It's heartbreaking because many people have had to deal with this same issue. I'm sure Jann finds comfort in the many fans who reply to how she feels and what she's going through as many fans have posted prayers, advice and good thoughts for her. I know this is a rather personal example but that's what Jann has chosen to do.

Harriet's musical journey is what's important but while the album is taking hold there are so many other ways to fill in the time between albums to keep the listeners and readers involved in her journey. All I'm saying is that every time I see another cute photo of her in a certain pose (which yes she is beautiful) I keep thinking there has to be more of something else that interests her while her album is taking place.

Rick I see you're saying. I agree. She does need to increase the use of her social media. Though I wouldn't want Harriet to turn into some Kardashian media "celebrity". I do think its absolutely great that we are kept in the loop when it comes to her music. I don't know many musicians who are just starting up who've provided so much music before the big release. Whether it's Permission To Kiss, the multitude of covers she's released or the download of a demo - so few new artists engage with their fans through the amount of musical material we've received from Harriet. Because, I think funds are usually so limited for new acts. On that front, Harriet has thrown so much at us. I wouldn't want that aspect to change. Yeah, Harriet needs to be a bit bolder online. For sure.

Occurred to me the other day: "Permission to Kiss" makes me think of Petula Clark. I love the 70's vibe she has going. I'm hoping that she will continue songwriting and singing, as she has a real talent.

She picked a great single. I'm wondering if the album will include the new songs she said will be performed at her gig on May 31st.

I finally got back to this thread which I have not the last couple of months at least. Harriet had totally gotten to the background of my listening lately with some other artists I have been focusing on. I am happy to hear a new single and an album to come. She promised an album "this year" which could mean any time in the next 7 months. I am perhaps a bit skeptical as I expected the same last year, even earlier than this. Cover Stories and Winter Stories were nice and loved the music, but I think we all would like a full fledged album. I do think it is strange that she is asking for pre-orders on her new single to be released July 1 (you can now do that also on iTunes) yet the video has been released the last few days? It seems a little odd to me but what do I know? I am happy to see that she is moving forward with the new album. The pre-order for the single indicated "Bright Star Records" which I am unfamiliar with and could be her own label. In any case, I wish her success and taking steps to move her music career forward.

Back
Top Bottom