Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

I thought the single Fly was going to include 2 tracks, the other being, "She's Out Of My Life" don't most singles have a B side even if it's just a digital download. I also noticed she mentions that a physical CD will be coming soon, I'm assuming that must be the new album.

I thought the single Fly was going to include 2 tracks, the other being, "She's Out Of My Life" don't most singles have a B side even if it's just a digital download. I also noticed she mentions that a physical CD will be coming soon, I'm assuming that must be the new album.
I think the album is a summer release. I don't know about singles having B sides.

Harriet has posted another interview she had later that day with a radio program in Spain. She mentions that there has been such a response from "She's Out of My Life" that they are planning or considering at least a "cover" EP before the album is released. She is asking for suggestions for covers. Interestingly, the interviewer asked her if she would ever do a Carpenters song. Not surprisingly (to me) she basically backed away from that suggesting the comparisons, being quite gracious to the Carpenters music at the same time. That part is toward the end of the interview. Hear it also on SoundCloud for about 20 minutes starting and ending with her songs.

https://soundcloud.com/harrietsmusic

Harriet has posted another interview she had later that day with a radio program in Spain. She mentions that there has been such a response from "She's Out of My Life" that they are planning or considering at least a "cover" EP before the album is released. She is asking for suggestions for covers. Interestingly, the interviewer asked her if she would ever do a Carpenters song. Not surprisingly (to me) she basically backed away from that suggesting the comparisons, being quite gracious to the Carpenters music at the same time. That part is toward the end of the interview. Hear it also on SoundCloud for about 20 minutes starting and ending with her songs.

Finally had a chance to listen to this. Great interview. Sounds like she's going to perform in Spain. It's a start! I think Japanese audiences would enjoy her style. They seem to be more appreciative of many music styles, and they love Karen's voice there, so would probably enjoy her singing there. It may take a long time to get to see her in the U.S.

Garyjo, if you or someone else here have a Facebook or Twitter account you could give her your opinions, or pass on the comments from this forum. I don't do either any more or I would. Too much tech for me.

I am not much better on the tech stuff. I do have Facebook and Twitter, though FB is only for convenience, not used much. I have given Harriet a number of song suggestions on Facebook and a couple more on a Twitter tweet. She has acknowledged them by "favoriting" my comments, and indirectly stated that she appreciated all the suggestions. I think I gave her 6 or 7 on Facebook and another two on Twitter. Most were ballad type songs from the 70s and 80s and I believe she had to do some investigating on one or two (due to her age). Could be a couple of the songs I gave her were not hits in the UK. Anyway, I think they are serious about a covers EP before tha album is released which will be exciting. I noticed that one person commented to her to consider "Sometimes" by the Carpenters, but I know that is NOT going to be a serious consideration by Harriet. We will see what she comes up with.

I am not much better on the tech stuff. I do have Facebook and Twitter, though FB is only for convenience, not used much. I have given Harriet a number of song suggestions on Facebook and a couple more on a Twitter tweet. She has acknowledged them by "favoriting" my comments, and indirectly stated that she appreciated all the suggestions. I think I gave her 6 or 7 on Facebook and another two on Twitter. Most were ballad type songs from the 70s and 80s and I believe she had to do some investigating on one or two (due to her age). Could be a couple of the songs I gave her were not hits in the UK. Anyway, I think they are serious about a covers EP before tha album is released which will be exciting. I noticed that one person commented to her to consider "Sometimes" by the Carpenters, but I know that is NOT going to be a serious consideration by Harriet. We will see what she comes up with.
Good for you! I think it's best if she doesn't do Carpenters songs.

It seems a covers EP is a real possibility! Love the comments about Olivia Newton-John and respecting artists and their songs. I'd love her to do a Olivia and Karen EP but I can understand why that may not happen and why she's a bit trepidatious. I also love her whole vibe. I think I could sit down with her in a coffee shop and talk music influences for hours. She seems really nice.

http://dontstopthepop.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/harriet-chats-and-gossips-with-dstp.html

Harriet's producer has released a long version of "Fly." On SoundCloud. Good for dance clubs I guess. Do they still have dance clubs? I guess I really am getting old. :)

Thanks for posting this, I just had a chance to finally listen to this extended mix of Fly and I actually like it better than the original. It has a much nicer, richer beat. I think this is a missed opportunity because they should have included this Extended Mix as track #2. I mean give us the original and a remix on the same single release. Instead it's put on soundcloud where we can listen but not purchase it. I'd love to pay for the extended mix but it's not available. That was 6 minutes I really enjoyed.

Chris, you are probably old school like me. I think a single should have a B side too. The Extended Mix would have been a great promotional tool and I really enjoy that version. And speaking of promotion, that is one question I really have in all this. Harriet is a promising talent, but how much she will be promoted is something I do wonder about. I have also seen a few artists make it very big in the UK and never make it in the states. We will see how all this plays out.

Downloaded. Its sweet - more of the song is never a problem! :):goodie: I get the sense they are really listening to us fans - which is an unusual but great feeling. She even mentioned one of her fans in the DSTP interview (about her covering Olivia Newton-John!!!!). A possibility that would be a longshot but an amazing thing if realised! :bow::bowdown2:

Was that you who mentioned ONJ, Chris? :laugh:

Here's a dumb question from someone who is not of the digital generation. If you download music from iTunes, is it playable on devices worldwide? With CDs and DVDs I know there is a difference in zones.

Well I guess Harriet's producer was listening to Chris. The extended mix of Fly did not make a track #2 on the single, but it has evidently now been released as a stand alone on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/fly-extended-mix-single/id995304536

Wow, I like to think I am famous now. :laugh: Seriously I'm sure a lot of fans were asking the same thing but it's really cool to know that Harriet and her producer are listening to what the fans want. I just downloaded the extended mix from iTunes. Thanks Gary for the heads up, I really like this extended mix.

If Harriet or Steve Anderson are reading this forum, thanks for listening to our suggestions and providing this extended mix, look forward to the new album soon.

Song4u, no it was not me, I'm not on facebook but it's a great suggestion to cover ONJ, lets see what happens, I'm sure whatever she picks for the Covers EP will be great, they seem to be writing songs that compliment her vocals. Regarding your question about iTunes, I'm not sure about the devices but I do know that if you live in the U.S. you can't purchase music through iTunes Canada or iTunes UK etc...I'm glad that Harriet is providing the same music for purchase through iTunes between the different countries.

I believe you to be correct on the iTunes, Chris. I have some of the latest "gadgets" but I still very old style. I download my iTunes on my laptop, not my phone like a lot of young people do. If I can buy something on CD, I would do that first. Regarding ONJ, I am a long time fan and would love to see Harriet tackle one of her songs that worked for her. I am very sure she will not cover anything of Karen's but a song by Olivia would be great.

Another upcoming gig in London for Harriet. Are there any Harriet fans on this forum who are in that vicinity? I'd sure like to see her, but I'm a few thousand miles away.

I am unfortunately a few thousand miles away too. Wish I could go to one of her performances. What you have said before, Chris, is correct about iTunes from my experience. For example, when Fly was released in the UK it was on a different date (one day difference) but until the US date one in the US could not purchase it, even though released in the UK. At least Harriet's music is available for us Yankees, lol. That bodes well for when the album gets released, though I have some hope of getting my hands on a CD for sure. I do know that Harriet has probably finished recording the covers EP, as she tweeted yesterday that she was now doing a photo shoot for the EP. Should not be too long now. I will pass on any news on that front!

Amazingly Harriet received major airplay from Paul O'Grady's Prime Time Radio 2 show today - I couldn't believe it! It was one of those *wait is that, nooooo it can't be...? oh my it is!* I couldn't turn it up higher. Radio 2 never ever plays new artists especially in the triple play sunday slot - they played no less than three of her material including her new single!

I also noticed - for those who are interested in her physical CD's - she's launched her website with a shop which comes with tons of rare physical products. I've already ordered mine! http://www.harrietsmusic.com/?product=introducing-harriet-gold

Thanks Jamie for the link, I didn't know she opened her own shop. The Gold Fan Package looks nice although it's kinda confusing how they spread out the tracks across 4 Cd's. It also seems weird that they are only selling 10 of these packages, (well 9 now as someone ordered one) I'm sure these will sell out within days. I wish she had included the song, I'm Not In Love as I really like that one.

The shop seems to be for UK customers, right? The prices are in £s. If I purchased something from here in the U.S., would I be able to play them?

Back
Top Bottom