Has Richard ever met Brian Wilson, Phil Spector, or George Martin?

Buried Alien

Being an expert on the musical arrangement/composer/producer side of things, has Richard Carpenter ever met Brian Wilson (of the Beach Boys), Phil Spector, or the late (Beatles producer) George Martin? Richard was an admirer of the Beach Boys and the Beatles, and I'm pretty sure he also admired Phil Spector's 1960s productions with the Ronettes, etc. Has Richard ever mentioned meeting any of them?

I think Richard said that during their recording of the Now and Then oldies medley Phil Spectre came into the studio, listened a while, and then snidely said something sarcastic along the lines of "remarkable", then left.

Come to think of it, the duo didn't do to well with their 3 B's heroes. Bacharach tried to get Alpert to drop them after Offering and Brian Wilson was reportedly embarrassed by their "name check" of him in Boat to Sail. At least the Beatles came though. Lennon and McCartney, as we all know, were fans.

I think Richard said that during their recording of the Now and Then oldies medley Phil Spectre came into the studio, listened a while, and then snidely said something sarcastic along the lines of "remarkable", then left.

Hah. I think Spector might have felt a bit threatened by the up and coming "young gun" in Richard, who could give him a run for his money in arranging and producing hits. :D

Brian Wilson is known as a BIG Carpenters fan. In fact, his daughter, Carnie, of the group, Wilson Philips, said that both her parents were big Carpenters fans, and that she was practically raised on Carpenters records. I'd never heard Brian mention the C's in interviews, so that was a great thing to hear. :)

Brian Wilson is known as a BIG Carpenters fan. In fact, his daughter, Carnie, of the group, Wilson Philips, said that both her parents were big Carpenters fans, and that she was practically raised on Carpenters records. I'd never heard Brian mention the C's in interviews, so that was a great thing to hear. :)

I figured that Brian would be a fan of the Carpenters, given that Richard's approach to arrangements and recording echoed some of Brian's own ideas and techniques. Given that both were based in Southern California, it's a surprise that they never met.

Richard recorded the video for Something In Your Eyes at Abbey Road studios, so there's a chance he may have come across George Martin there.

Richard also did much of the recording of 'An Old Fashioned Christmas' at Abbey Road in 1984. There's a photo floating around of Richard recording there. I'm sure he's met George Martin. I wouldn't be surprised if both Carpenters had at least met Brian Wilson with all of the awards shows they all attended and other events. I know Karen idolized Brian, as does Richard.

It would have been cool if the Carpenters had recorded a full album at EMI Abbey Road Studios back in their 1970s heyday. :)

A George Martin/Carpenters collaboration would have been something great to listen to as well, I imagine.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Carpenters had at least met Brian Wilson with all of the awards shows they all attended and other events. I know Karen idolized Brian, as does Richard.

Actually the Carpenters might've met Brian Wilson as early as their Magic Lamp Days, as Brian was at Magic Lamp in 1967/68 working with Jan & Dean (under the name "Laughing Gravy") recording "Vegetables". The single was released on the CD "Pet Projects: The Brian Wilson Productions", and even in the linear notes it was mentioned that the Carpenters were at Magic Lamp at the time.

Though he is not known as an arranger/producer, I've always wondered if Richard has ever met Elton John. The Carpenters and Elton were close equals in chart success and music popularity from 1970-1975. Realize that Karen and Elton were both guests on ONJ's Hollywood Nights but I don't think Richard was around for the taping. Also wonder how Elton felt after Richard fired his good friend Neil Sedaka during the tour in 1975? Read somewhere that Elton admired Karen's voice but have never heard any other connections between him and the Carpenters.

Actually the Carpenters might've met Brian Wilson as early as their Magic Lamp Days, as Brian was at Magic Lamp in 1967/68 working with Jan & Dean (under the name "Laughing Gravy") recording "Vegetables". The single was released on the CD "Pet Projects: The Brian Wilson Productions", and even in the linear notes it was mentioned that the Carpenters were at Magic Lamp at the time.

Wow! I never knew Brian had been at Joe Osborne's garage studio. It makes perfect sense, though, because he was the bass player on all of those classic Beach Boys records. I don't own the Karen Carpenter Magic Lamp single, unfortunately, but I do own a mint copy of a Jan & Dean single on Magic Lamp: 'Summertime' b/w 'California Lullaby'.

Wow! I never knew Brian had been at Joe Osborne's garage studio. It makes perfect sense, though, because he was the bass player on all of those classic Beach Boys records. I don't own the Karen Carpenter Magic Lamp single, unfortunately, but I do own a mint copy of a Jan & Dean single on Magic Lamp: 'Summertime' b/w 'California Lullaby'.
From what I get from the CD notes as well, the master for Vegetables is, next to California Dreaming by the Carpenters, the only other known surviving Magic Lamp master out there, as Dean Torrence actually owned the master, and he sold it to an indie label known as Blue Whale.

Back
Top Bottom