**Heads Up** New Show for UK fans

Nicko

Just found this for February

Discovering Music

Sky Arts UK
Date: Saturday 4th February 2017
Time: 21:30 to 22:00

Discovering: Carpenters

Music experts discuss the legacy of 1970s brother and sister pop duo the Carpenters, who sang such hits as (They Long to Be) Close to You and We've Only Just Begun.

I wondered if/when a Carpenters episode of this series would surface and I like the fact it's airing on Karen's anniversary date. The series has covered lots of mainstream artists like Queen, Simply Red, Bee Gees and Amy Winehouse. I felt it was a matter of time before they reached Richard and Karen.

Now for the downside: there's usually almost zero original music featured (presumably due to copywright reasons) and - almost always - no one closely associated with the artist is featured in the interviews. In the Queen episode, they featured remakes or sub-standard equivalents of the hits playing in the background and interviews with people far removed from their inner circle. It's usually a mash up of so called "experts" from the fields of music and journalism offering their take on the artist and their legacy.

So in short, don't hold your breath. Of course, I'm always happy to stand corrected and be pleasantly surprised :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I have put this into my planner.

There is the 'Close To You' documentary on afterwards and it is nice to know that someone in charge of the TV schedules thought to put these programmes on today. :)

I wondered if/when a Carpenters episode of this series would surface and I like the fact it's airing on Karen's anniversary date. The series has covered lots of mainstream artists like Queen, Simply Red, Bee Gees and Amy Winehouse. I felt it was a matter of time before they reached Richard and Karen.

Now for the downside: there's usually almost zero original music featured (presumably due to copywright reasons) and - almost always - no one closely associated with the artist is featured in the interviews. In the Queen episode, they featured remakes or sub-standard equivalents of the hits playing in the background and interviews with people far removed from their inner circle. It's usually a mash up of so called "experts" from the fields of music and journalism offering their take on the artist and their legacy.

So in short, don't hold your breath. Of course, I'm always happy to stand corrected and be pleasantly surprised :)

There was someone from 'The Times' newspaper, someone from a radio station I don't listen to and one or two others. I didn't recognise anyone interviewed at all.

It was like watching school children being tested after having revised for an exam as they didn't really come over as that believable that they were that interested. It really was as though they'd read up a few basic facts after having been asked to take part.

It's still worth a watch.

There was someone from 'The Times' newspaper, someone from a radio station I don't listen to and one or two others. I didn't recognise anyone interviewed at all.

It was like watching school children being tested after having revised for an exam as they didn't really come over as that believable that they were that interested. It really was as though they'd read up a few basic facts after having been asked to take part.

Thought as much.

It was the original music though, and it was often Karen singing in a live performance on video but synchronised with the studio sound.

I've just watched this and was delighted to see and hear that they mentioned the solo album and played a snippet of Makin' Love In The Afternoon. They also showed this photo as if it was the album's cover, which was lovely to see:

CDsize2.jpg

They also openly said that Richard had blocked her solo album, before moving onto the 1981 album and talking about her hospitalisation in 1982.

Other than that, as reported above, there isn't much to write home about.

Back
Top Bottom