Heard Carpenters

'Christmas Station' FM 100.3 strikes again! Heard what seemed to be the end of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", just to hear the whole thing days later...

-- Dave

At a local shopping center that I frequent: it was "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"... Couldn't help but call out "Karen!", as I stood underneath it playing, going into on our many Ace Hardware Stores...

-- Dave

This Saturday the AT40 countdown is from November 20th, 1971 (the station made a mistake saying it was the 21st!) -- Superstar is number sixteen. However, the station is doing some live event that is pushing the countdown from it's usual 7-10 am slot to 5-8am... sorry Karen and Richard, I don't think I can make it!

In the car making my way home through our first snow: "There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays"... (With the OK Chorale & All!)

-- Dave

Time for another plug for Publix!

Tonight, after spending time with friends who are in town for the holiday, I made a late-night trip to Publix (grocery supermarket) in east Orlando to pick up some last-minute items for Thanksgiving. I was almost done shopping when I heard "I Won't Last a Day Without You!" I was ecstatic! This is one of my favorite Carpenters' songs. It wasn't the single version (which I prefer), yet it was wonderful to hear this particular song. I was already in a terrific mood, and hearing Karen's voice over the loudspeaker was a fantastic way to end Thanksgiving Eve...

And to keep the mood going, for whomever might appreciate my sentiments, I just want to sincerely say:
  • I am extremely thankful to have found this site quite a few years ago.
  • I am thankful for the terrific work done here by the moderators/staff.
  • And I am thankful for the fellow posters who inform me and keep me smiling... :) "It's all worthwhile..."

"Home for the Holidays" played... first song of the season. I yelled "Karen!!!".

Jamesj75, my dad lives in Florida -- I should ask him if he hears Carpenters in Publix. I'll be visiting in January and now I'll be sure to pay attention if we have to go to the grocery store. :)

Hey Ninja Rabbit! I can't be the only one to hear the C's in Publix; of course, I am in there quite a bit.

Have a wonderful time with your family in Florida!

Does a "soundbite" of "(They Long To Be) Close To You" on a radio station that The Carpenters are total strangers to , but get this:

My local FM 94.7 WCSX Classic Rock [read: fairly HARD rock] played a radio broadcast ostensibly from Feb. 1983 (the station is doing what's called a YEARS IN YOUR EARS WEEKEND--broadcasts of rock songs from various years--eras that this radio station specializes in--so between Golden Earring's "Twilight Zone" and Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell" is an announcement on the death of Karen Carpenter ("--Anorexia Nervosa--"--"--Blah, blah, blah--") as their song (best known, and probably appropriate for the occasion) plays...

-- Dave

Oooh! Oooh! OOOH! --It was "Merry Christmas Darling"!!!!

On ANOTHER local metro-Detroit-area radio station playing ONLY Christmas songs, this time fromthe day after Thanksgiving--well, really, ON Thanksgiving, I think...! (FM104.3, another station w/ an interesting past, playing Pop/Top-40, especially Carps back in their prime--to Good Time Oldies (during which one supposedly drunk female listener called & requested Bob Seger "Turn The Page", which wasn't part of its format) to now, and she'd probably sobered up & gotten her wish, playing just about ALL KINDS of Music Old & New!)...

Oh, yeh, did I tell you? It was Carpenters "Merry Christmas Darling" this evening on my car radio...

-- Dave

Flipping tv channels this weekend and suddenly heard Karen. Channel 64.2 out of Cincinnati was airing the Perry Como Christmas show. I came in right in the part where Karen and Perry are singing each other's songs.

Took my daughter to see THE PEANUTS MOVIE the other night, and while it showing at a time like 7:30PM & it being a long evening out until past 10:00PM, we couldn't do much about as it was a flick we each wanted to see, here is a trailer for an up-coming film (ANGRY BIRDS, actually) that kind'a took us entirely by surprise:

--That and THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS, two movies we can hardly wait til next Summer to see...

-- Dave

Ho, ho, ho, Guys! Here's something that I don't often-times hear:

Does it start off as a ballad & segue into a Wurlitzer piano solo, then goes into many a merry chorus, or more-us, even w/ a male solo voice that was possibly Richard?

Well, then I heard Carpenters sing "Sleigh Ride", today...!

-- Dave

Another "yesterday, once more" I just heard "Sleigh Ride" again, although seemed to have missed the exact beginning--I tuned it in at the part where it starts to pick up...

Heard how "Birthday Party" appropriately becomes "Christmas Party" in the one line, too... (Was wondering if what I'd read on reading up on "Sleigh Ride", about that line in Carpenters' version of the song was true, so I found out...!)

-- Dave

Christmas shopping today. Drive to Boscov's to get a gift card for Mom (don't tell her please) and I heard "Merry Christmas Darling" on my car radio. I didn't turn the car off until the song was over. As soon as I walked into Boscov's I heard the very beginning of "All You Get From Love is a Love Song". While the song was playing I walked by an older couple and heard the man say, "I love this song".

Boscov's is suddenly my new favorite department store!

It was worth it to hear--and sing along to!--"Merry Christmas, Darling", in my cold car as I waited for my turn at my bank's ATM, and wondered if the lady there knew what was going on...

Ironically this song was playing on one of our "New, Young Country Radio Stations" as a deviation from their regular format to often-times play such...

And sadly--why did someone go right from IN THE BANK to beat me to the ATM when I got out to take my turn, after changing the station to my regular 'listening bank' to hear for the up-trillionth time, Queen, singing "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"; so then stood in front of it in the cold, but still never felt warmer...

-- Dave

Oooh! Oooh! OOOH! --It was "Merry Christmas Darling"!!!!

On ANOTHER local metro-Detroit-area radio station playing ONLY Christmas songs, this time fromthe day after Thanksgiving--well, really, ON Thanksgiving, I think...! (FM104.3, another station w/ an interesting past, playing Pop/Top-40, especially Carps back in their prime--to Good Time Oldies (during which one supposedly drunk female listener called & requested Bob Seger "Turn The Page", which wasn't part of its format) to now, and she'd probably sobered up & gotten her wish, playing just about ALL KINDS of Music Old & New!)...

Oh, yeh, did I tell you? It was Carpenters "Merry Christmas Darling" this evening on my car radio...

-- Dave
WOMC plays Merry Christmas, Darling on a pretty heavy rotation, usually 4-5 times a day :)

Heard Sleigh Ride on my way to work. Had not heard that in a while and had almost forgotten how pretty it is.

I heard "First Snowfall/Let it Snow" in the grocery store tonight. Some singers tend to really blend into the background, but Karen's voice has a strong presence that shines through, even over the PA system.

Just watched a doc on bing crosby and it featured a musical number with Fred Astaire from the early-mid '70s. They sang SING but the really cool thing was they were both singing from sheet music and on the cover was the Carpenters. Nice surprise.
220px-Sing.jpg
Merry Christmas Everyone.

Back
Top Bottom