Heard Carpenters

Ok, one of our stations in town is positioned to change formats and they are doing "narrow stunting" this whole week. Today, they are playing what they are calling 'Yacht Rock', which is pretty much easy listening music from the 70's and 80's, with a particular focus on the Carpenters' time. I put a comment on their FB page to please play Carpenters (in particular, " Top of the World", my fave). Fingers crossed they'll play it! They commented that they would let their music elves know of my suggestion.

Ok, so they played 'Superstar'... I'll take anything. I'm easy (not cheap, however). :angel: It will probably be the first/last time I would ever hear them on that channel, so score one for me. There's hope I'll hear TOOTW later today if I keep listening. I won't hold my breath, though.
As a kind of an aside, for those who have worked in radio (and I know there's a few of you), do stations pay to play songs and if so, do certain songs cost more to play than others? I used to call in to a radio show where they would play just about anything, but any time I would call in and request 'Turtle Blues' by Big Brother and the Holding Company (Janis Joplin), they would just play "Piece of My Heart". Annoying. I always wondered, if they are doing a request show, why they can't play what's requested?

I was enthralled to hear "We've Only Just Begun" here on vacation in FL. Added some sunlight to a gloomy day, for sure -- didn't think I would catch them.

I heard " I Won't Last a Day Without You" at a local thrift store this afternoon. One of the employees or customers, I'm not certain which, hummed and sang along through the whole song.

BBC Sport are promoting the 2016 Six Nations rugby tournament using a video of clashing rugby sportsmen and commenting on the close contact of the sport between players and using Carpenters 'Close To You' to bring it all together. Tried to find the video on YouTube, no luck yet, will keep looking.

Sounds like it doesn't have to be Christmas for CarpenterS to play at my store...

"(They Long To Be) Close to You" was begging me to get wild during--"air-trumpet" solo, and all!

(In the back room, about to punch out for my evening meal; referred to as Lunch Break, though I call it ('cause of the time during my shift) dinner... Wonder if the Midnight & Overnight personnel have "Lunch Break" at Breakfast; I would probably call it the latter...)

-- Dave

BBC 1 have just shown a promotion for a Six Nations Rugby mattch and they've used Close to You. Doesn't appear on You Tube yet. The BBC are still showing the Cbeebies Calling Occupants promo too!

99,7 FM played
I Won't Last A Day Without You,
today at Noon.
Of course, I realize it had already garnered fans from the A Song For You LP,
but, even allowing for such, I am confounded as to why it did not Chart higher.
This is a great song, easily top five status (IMHO).

Goodbye to Love on BBC Radio 2 during a tribute to Sir Terry Wogan, a radio DJ legend in the UK who sadly passed away today. It was one of his favourite songs apparently. He would always comment on Karen's voice after he played one of their records. I even remember him playing You many years ago. RIP Sir Terry.

BBC Sport are promoting the 2016 Six Nations rugby tournament using a video of clashing rugby sportsmen and commenting on the close contact of the sport between players and using Carpenters 'Close To You' to bring it all together. Tried to find the video on YouTube, no luck yet, will keep looking.

With the first matches to be played this coming weekend, starting Saturday 6th Feb., this trailer has been modified, and getting a lot of play on TV. Although I doubt that it will encourage everyone to download 'Close To You', it's a great way to promote a Carpenters classic. I caught Chris Evans (BBC Radio2 DJ) remarking that someone had complained that both the Carpenters and the Six Nations had been ruined by the BBC with the making of this trailer.

This isn't hearing one of their songs, but they were the subject of a clue on Jeopardy!! Can't believe I missed it. I only picked up the words "they hit number one...just like me they long to be..." (you know the rest as do I). Category was "Rock Me Gently". In my excitement I exclaimed "They were in a category with the word 'rock' in it! Take THAT Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame!" :)

We've Only Just Begun at the end of Channel 4's comedy Fresh Meat. In the last series they used Won't Last A Day Without You!

1 PM, Today, Gold 99.7 FM played
It's Going To Take Some Time.....
It sounded great....so, I suppose I
really do like the song after all !

I heard 'Rainy Days And Mondays' on Chicago's 87.7FM station on Monday afternoon. :) There's actually a cable station that plays it, so I caught Karen's booming voice coming out of my TV speaker. The quality of her voice on that song is just otherworldly.

My wife and I are working our way through Channel 4's student comedy Fresh Meat online. We're on series/season 2 now and they just played A Song For You during a rather steamy scene. The saxophone solo got a look in too. This is the third Carpenters track that's been used, and a less well known one at that. The programme makers must have a real Carpenters fan on the team!

Goodbye to Love on BBC Radio 2 during a tribute to Sir Terry Wogan, a radio DJ legend in the UK who sadly passed away today. It was one of his favourite songs apparently. He would always comment on Karen's voice after he played one of their records. I even remember him playing You many years ago. RIP Sir Terry.

'Happy' was one of theirs that I remember Terry playing quite often on his show.

Carrie Underwood picked Top of the World as one of her 'tracks of my years' on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show today. She said that Karen’s voice was unmatched, instantly recognisable and like silk. Her next track was Nirvana's Come as you Are!

Back
Top Bottom