Heard Carpenters

Carrie Underwood picked Top of the World as one of her 'tracks of my years' on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show today. She said that Karen’s voice was unmatched, instantly recognisable and like silk. Her next track was Nirvana's Come as you Are!
She also posted a picture on her Instagram with lyrics from "Top of the World" as the caption.

I heard 'Goodbye To Love' blaring out on the speakers at 7-11 today in Chicago. :) I could still hear Tony's solo as I was getting back in the car.
I'm hearing our duo more outside of stores here in Jersey -- they supposedly play at the local supermarket a lot now. I think a Carpenters "revolution" is a-comin' again. :D

If true, it may be a result of the PBS showings of CLOSE TO YOU: REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS. Never discount the power of television!

WOMR in Provincetown's "Nightflight" show did a three hour tribute to the Carpenters last night. Mostly the hits from 1970-73. They also played both sides of Karen's Magic Lamp Single, All Of My Life, Ticket To Ride, Merry Christmas Darling, a good portion of the Palladium show in 76, I Can Dream Can't I, Calling Occupants, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song, Little Alter Boy, Touch Me When We're Dancing, and the 1973 live bilingual version of Sing to close. Was great to hear so many classics in one block on the air again.

Carrie Underwood picked Top of the World as one of her 'tracks of my years' on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show today. She said that Karen’s voice was unmatched, instantly recognisable and like silk. Her next track was Nirvana's Come as you Are!

I will just add that Carrie Underwood recalled childhood memories of her parents driving her to her Grandmas and the Carpenters songs playing in the car a long the way.

Oh, look! Here is Jamesj75 again, giving a plug to his favorite grocery store because he heard Carpenters whilst shopping... :laugh:

Yep! It happened again... But there are two variations of my usual theme:
  1. I was shopping at a different Publix (also close to my home).
  2. The song playing was "Yesterday Once More."
Great nostalgia. Good times...

I work at Trader Joe's here in San Francisco. I never, ever hear Carpenters in my store (in almost four years). Today I worked in another store for a day, to help them out, and I heard, not one, but two songs: Close To You and Top of the World. It was a 70's station that played pop, rock, schmaltz, psychedelia. It was really like a free form station that played songs together you'd never expect to hear together. It was rather awesome.

One two punch- last night, we heard We've Only Just Begun at Home Depot. This morning for my men's coffee, I heard For All We Know at Village Inn.

Mari Wilson picked Goodbye to Love as one of her 'tracks of my years' on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show today. She said Karen was an influence on her, she didn't mess around with her vocals, just sang it from the heart and therefore touched the heart. She also commented on the late Tony Peluso's great guitar solo that everyone sings along too.

Heard "Top of the World" in a local thrift store. I was about ready to leave, but I stayed around for three extra minutes of awesomeness. If someone hadn't been paged during the final chorus, it would have been perfect.

I was at my mechanic's garage where I think he must have a 70's satellite radio station - heard 'Superstar' sandwiched between Billy Preston and George Harrison. The everyday music back then was so good!

Doesn't entirely fit this thread, but didn't think it merited a new one...
Borrowed the 1974 Nitty Gritty Dirt Band "Stars and Stripes Forever" live LP from a friend a few days ago and was caught off guard by Jeff Hanna's bit of stand up that referenced Karen and the Carpenter. Just a little reminder of how dominant they were at that time.

Pretty funny! I think they all knew each other at one time - I remember reading that Richard bought one his keyboards back in the Spectrum days from someone in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band back when they were all starting out playing hoot nights at the Troubadour in Hollywood.
Back then 'unknowns' had to line up early to get a slot on the bill that night. I also remember hearing a radio interview with Karen where she mentioned waiting and standing in line with Jackson Browne, who would've been about 2 years older than her. That would've been an interesting collaboration!

At the dentist this morning, while getting my teeth cleaned, the "easy listening" FM station they play in the office played "Hurting Each Other". I recognized the intro right off. Took my mind off what the hygienist was doing for a couple minutes. Also a kind of ironic song to play in a dentist's office. BTW, it's also one of my favorites.

Watching the HBO series, 'The Night Of" and they practically played the entire first two thirds of Close To You - although an almost clone instrumental version. Too bad A & M - or Richard, or whoever - didn't allow the real thing. This is likely going to be one of those fan favorite "binge" TV type things, and I like the idea of getting Carpenters music out there to an entirely new audience.
Makes me wonder why working a Carpenters track into an occasional current artistic endeavor doesn't happen more often. Look at what happened to 'I Need To Be In Love' in Japan...

A couple of days ago when I went to Target, and I swear that I heard We've Only Just Begun while passing by the technology section at the store. Maybe that's just the factor of not getting enough sleep and my brain goes haywire, if you know what I mean

Oh, and I'm listening to Singles 1969 - 1981 CD, and the second I started typing We've Only Just Begun, the song started playing! Oh the irony! :D

Thought Graeme might have posted this one from Thursday 18 August. Ken Bruce on BBC Radio 2 played 'Happy'. Unfortunately I was on a real tight schedule that morning and was only able to listen to a segment of the song, it sounded so fresh for a 1975 recording, and it had the desired effect, it made me feel happy!

Thought Graeme might have posted this one from Thursday 18 August. Ken Bruce on BBC Radio 2 played 'Happy'. Unfortunately I was on a real tight schedule that morning and was only able to listen to a segment of the song, it sounded so fresh for a 1975 recording, and it had the desired effect, it made me feel happy!
My wife usually emails me at work when Radio 2 plays a Carpenters track (they're allowed to listen to the radio where she works). She must have missed that one! That would have been good to hear on the radio. The best single that never was. I know what you mean about it sounding fresh. It has quite a different sound for a Carpenters recording.

A few months ago, I wrote about how I never heard Carpenters at work (Trader Joe's), but I heard them in another TJ's.

Well........

We just got a new satellite radio receiver at work, and I was stopped dead in my tracks yesterday, literally, when I heard 'Please Mister Postman'. A co worker became worried because I froze like that; she thought something was wrong. I said, "It's the Carpenters!?!!". She still looked worried and confused.

Anyway, I instantly became happy.

Then today..... Oh boy! "We've Only Just Begun" And "For All We Know" played! So Happy! They sounded so good on the radio!

Back
Top Bottom