Heard Herb

While doing some grocery shopping at HEB for Da Bears tailgate party tomorrow I heard a familiar guitar lick and had to stop to listen. It was "Keep Your Eye On Me" - not your usual supermarket music. What's more interesting is that I started whistling along and a young black couple asked me the name of the tune I was whistling. When I mentioned it was Herb they kind of had a puzzled look, then I mentioned it was the same album that Janet Jackson did "Diamonds" on, and they recalled the song, and the young lady said "We should go get that album."

My work was done. :D

Capt. Bacardi

Dave said:
Yes, my wife and I had her Tigers Baseball on the car radio and I heard "Zorba The Greek" playing during the Tigers VS. Tampa Bay Devil Rays game...

Actually, Tampa Bay dropped the "Devil" from their name before the season began, so they are just the Tampa Bay Rays now - and doing quite well this year.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
...then I mentioned it was the same album that Janet Jackson did "Diamonds" on, and they recalled the song, and the young lady said "We should go get that album."

Unfortunately for them, it's of course not in print. But at least KEEP YOUR EYE ON ME is occasionally available on eBay.

Harry

XM 6 (60s on 6), 5:45pm, "Third Man Theme". How cool is that?? Quite a rush hour pick-me-up, making the hour plus drive a little more tolerable...

Platinum 96.7 fm. They have a website www.platinum967.com that even shows a recap of their entire playlist for the day as it happens. They play Herb, Carpenters, Captain & Tennille, Rita Coolidge, We Five, Carole King etc. Today, they played Rise, This Guy's In Love With You, and Tijuana Taxi.

XM6, on the way home from the office last week: "Third Man Theme".

Given that Sirius has come in and crapped all over XM's programming, I'm betting I won't hear as much Herb anymore.

You got that right. I knew they would "merge" the programming but I didn't think they'd completely Sirius-ize the XM channels. Oh well it's still better than any other radio we can get around here (total choices: 1 crappy country station)

I've been listening to 49 the past couple of days -- I'll switch over to 7 tomorrow and see if I hear "Rise" and "Rotation" -- usually at least one of them would play almost every day on the "old" 7.

Mike Blakesley said:
You got that right. I knew they would "merge" the programming but I didn't think they'd completely Sirius-ize the XM channels.

Starting a new thread...I'll quote these in it.

Hey, Alpert's "Jingle Bells" was playing at the supermarket...! What's more there was a "flute" on it--least I "heard" one...
flutist.gif
:freak:

It was actually a grocery clerk whistling to it and seemed to enjoy it... I told him, "Hey, Tijuana Brass"... And that I thought I heard a "flute" but was indeed him whistling along with it...! :whistle: :laugh:

Dave

"Jingle Bell Rock" was the Herb Alpert Christmas Song I heard today while shopping at Meijer...! :)

Dave

--"Now playing at yor Local Retailer"...! :agree:

The crescendo from "Zorba The Greek" played on yesterday's & today's broadcasts of the Detroit Tigers VS. Oakland "A's" game...

Dave

--Yeh, "A's", 2; Tigers, 1... :baah: :mad:

While vacationing in Seattle, we ducked into a little dessert shop so the wife could get some gelato. While waiting, I heard Herb on whatever music was playing in the shop, a mixture of Latin/Brazilian stuff. It was an odd track, "Rosemary", one of the two bonus tracks from the Shout! reissue of WHIPPED CREAM.

Harry

I actually heard Mexican Shuffle yesterday on the way to a job interview....I thought it was a good omen. Time will tell....
It was on our "standards" am radio station

A guy playing a trumpet on the promenade towards COMERICA PARK where the Detroit Tigers play was--Believe it or Not?--playing "Rise"...!!!!

(I gave him a $dollar$...!) :agree:

Dave

On today's Tournament of Roses Parade, the Shriners float featured a cartoonish-looking taxi. Herb's "Tijuana Taxi" was the musical accompaniment.

I'm not sure if the parade onlookers heard the music or whether it was added to the NBC telecast.

Harry

On my flight back to LAX from Southern Florida yesterday I was treated to "Side Steppin'" on the in-flight "Jazz" channel.

Harry said:
On today's Tournament of Roses Parade, the Shriners float featured a cartoonish-looking taxi. Herb's "Tijuana Taxi" was the musical accompaniment.

I'm not sure if the parade onlookers heard the music or whether it was added to the NBC telecast.

Harry

Not only did the parade goers hear it Harry, it blasted during the next float sponsored by the Lutheran Association, "You've Got A Friend In Jesus" with a real live guy dressed poorly (IMHO) as "Jesus" waving from the float.

F@#$ing surreal Harry. F-in surreal. :shock:

While I didn't hear Herb's Christmas album again played on the radio this Christmas season, I did hear Herb's "the Bell That Couldn't Jingle" at a New Years Eve party on the cable station Sounds of the Season!!!!

I heard "A Taste Of Honey" played on some weather report station on TV... But the wife was flipping channels too fast & I usually fall asleep in front of the tube so it was really too late to stop her in time to see what was broadcast, while the song (a few seconds, that I heard) played...! :|

Dave
sleeping.gif

"Lonely Bull" & "Tijuana Taxi" while watching "Matchstick Men" last night.

Great, underrated Ridley Scott film. Terrific Soundtrack CD IMHO.:cool:

I was at a AAA game today watching the Iowa Cubs playing the Round Rock Express and they played the accelerated part of "Zorba The Greek" quite a bit whenever the Express had a rally going. It didn't help, though, as the Cubs won 8-6.

Back
Top Bottom