Herb Alpert & Lani Hall Santa Monica May 19 Full Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the sun finally came out Thursday after a few days of clouds and even snow here in the mountains and I thought that might be a sign of songs to come Thursday night at the 499 seat Broad Stage in Santa Monica. "Here Comes The Sun" or another recent weather related "Something Cool" perhaps? Nope. But I was right about that meteorological hunch, we did finally got our "Fate Cast To The Wind".

I was skeptical at first but the sound at the Broad Stage was just remarkable. A perfect setting for an evening of great music & stories from Herb & Lani, just steps away from the Foundation and Penthouse. Herb "MC’d" the bands intro tonight before waltzing on stage and playing. From early on we could see/hear how great Bill Cantos on the Steinway grand piano sounded. Such a joy to see a band that has been out on the road for a week come back home all tight, yet loose and ready to let go.

Herb Alpert & Lani Hall Live Santa Monica 2011

1. Besame Mucho
2. Pararaio – Herb & Lani sounded great, again Bill Cantos at the Steinway, just brilliant. Bill was clearly having fun. Herb said apparently people were yelling out requests left & right in San Francisco because he forgot to ask for, "No requests, please".
3. Moondance – Really great stuff from Herb up top and then he and Lani came together in a lovely tornado. And Bill Cantos was the wicked….well just wicked. "Backdrop" really popped Thursday night because for the first time I have seen it was up again a "larger" blank scrim that also changed different colors. Really nice touch in the Broad space.
4. Fever
5. Viola – The great acoustics of the Broad really showcased Lani’s great emotion and Michael’s damn solid groove. Herb at the end was just blazing. Great moment afterward when a lady yelled, "We love you Herb" and a few beats later a guy yelled, "Lani too!"
6. Let's Face The Music
7. TJB Medley – "So music is really Déjà vu, isn’t it ?" said Herb before starting. It can really take you back. He told the BBC "Life Could Be A Dream (Sha boom Sha boom)" story and said he could still picture that little brown plastic radio at his friend’s house when he first heard it. "Anyway, I’m going to play some songs and perhaps they bring back some good memories for you". After a torrential take Herb said he had a "memory lapse" and hit us with a second million dollar take of "Taste Of Honey". Sha boom, Sha boom. Bill has really added a lot of electronic texture to "Rise" for this tour. Herb then told the Ed Sullivan story from the recent terrific LA Magazine article, (The interviewer Steve Oney and his lovely wife did finally get in after a ticket glitch BTW) someone then asked,"When are you going to Vegas?" "Never " - huge applause. "We played in Vegas once for two weeks, it felt like 3 months", said Herb.
8. Anything Goes – Just a mesmerizing new take on the track with Bill just "going mad today" with this Brill Building funky syncopation. Then Herb dropped in from the office down the hall and joined in with Lani.
9. Opato
10. Morning Coffee
11. Paper Moon – Rousing fun take.
12. Blackbird – Berimbau – Very soulful opening from Herb and I never seem to tire of Lani’s total commitment to her stark vocals on Blackbird. I’ve seen this pairing a bunch of times now and still can’t get enough.
13. Cast Your Fate – As a top vote getter a fan’s favorite tracks on the new CD it was so nice to finally see/hear this great take on this Vince Guaraldi tune. Herb was just spectacular as was Lani and when any of you finally get to hear this tune live you will marvel at Hussain’s lovely, deep bass work. I just love Herb’s fanfare towards the end of this tune. . After someone asked "Who is responsible for the for the Tijuana Brass sound?" "You’re looking at him baby!" Someone then asked, "Why don’t you do another Tijuana Brass album". Herb then got very serious and said, "Well unfortunately the drummer passed on, the piano player passed on, the other trumpet player is no longer with us and the trombone player, the comic of the group as well as a wonderful musician, is not playing anymore". "To me these shows are better than the Tijuana Brass days, because in those days it was the same 2 to 3 minute songs night after night, but now we are free to improvise and no two nights are alike."
14. I've Got You Under My Skin – If this audience had not noticed Bill Cantos and the fun he was having, they sure did now!
15. Laura – Herb towards the end finally broke into "My Funny Valentine", a tune I have seen on early Vibrato setlists once they started doing these shows as an encore but they never played it. I even talked to Herb about it last February. I had to contain my enthusiasm and not yell when Herb started to play a it. Though I did pump my fist skyward! Bill has also added more electronica to the beginning of this tune. And they had a real swinging "Latin" break Thursday night before slowing it down.
ENCORES
16. Night & Day/What Now My Love – The on stage setlist the band used, they actually had the "Jobim Medley" first in the 16 slot & "What Now My Love" was supposed to come before "Night & Day"! I actually prefer the new switch with "What Now" last. Full one minute of "If I Were A Rich Man" up top and then Herb quoted it numerous times at the end much to this crowds delight.
17. Jobim Medley

Great show. My only disappointment and concern is that Herb has stopped singing a solo piece in the shows. This has been going on for quite sometime now. I hope his voice is not getting shot. He sounded fine to me and I’m sure perhaps he has tired of "I’ve Grown Accustomed To Her Face", but his solo vocal turn has really been a standout moment in numerous past shows. I hope he really gives some thought to returning to doing a solo vocal number, especially maybe giving "Something Cool" a spin.

As always, Cherry Street, a GREAT review. I just hope I have the $ when the Temecula concert goes down soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom