• Slow Hot Wind

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • O Pato

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berimbau

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
EQUINOX is even shorter, true?

Dollars-per-minute questions aside, I think a great 25-minute album is a better listening experience than a 40-minute one with 15 minutes of blah filler.

On the other hand, just thinking of the possibility of four or five "90% great" outtakes from each of those early albums lying around on the cutting room floor somewhere......hey Sergio, how about a "Lost Treasures" from you? :)

I never have voted for a favorite on this album....I just can't pick one. Too much good stuff. It would be much easier to pick a least-fave. ("One Note Samba/Spanish Flea" would be mine.)

EQUINOX is even shorter, true?

Dollars-per-minute questions aside, I think a great 25-minute album is a better listening experience than a 40-minute one with 15 minutes of blah filler.

On the other hand, just thinking of the possibility of four or five "90% great" outtakes from each of those early albums lying around on the cutting room floor somewhere......hey Sergio, how about a "Lost Treasures" from you? :)

I never have voted for a favorite on this album....I just can't pick one. Too much good stuff. It would be much easier to pick a least-fave. ("One Note Samba/Spanish Flea" would be mine.)
Mike,
One Note Samba/Spanish Flea is also me least favorite. I think The Joker is overall my favorite. I heard it many times on the radio.
This was the second Brasil'66 album that I purchased. I always thought it was too short especially at the times when artists were putting twelve and thirteen songs on lp's. One does wonder what songs may have gotten recorded that did not make it to the final lp for any of the Brasil' 66 series.

Mike,
One Note Samba/Spanish Flea is also me least favorite. I think The Joker is overall my favorite. I heard it many times on the radio.
This was the second Brasil'66 album that I purchased. I always thought it was too short especially at the times when artists were putting twelve and thirteen songs on lp's. One does wonder what songs may have gotten recorded that did not make it to the final lp for any of the Brasil' 66 series.

“One Note Samba” is simplicity and sophistication in itself, and a love song. “Spanish Flea” isn’t any of those things. A fine TJB song, but shouldn’t have been paired with “One Note Samba”.

“One Note Samba” is simplicity and sophistication in itself, and a love song. “Spanish Flea” isn’t any of those things. A fine TJB song, but shouldn’t have been paired with “One Note Samba”.
That Spanish Flea business was the only ear soar on the LP. Years ago I used Garage Band to make a nifty little edit to remove all that Bah-dah-bah-dah junk and cut right to the end. One Note Samba now clocks in at 1:01 and is now placed as a coda after Berimbau.

Ever since "the edit" everything's comin' up roses!

NOTE: Anyone who voted for this back in 2009 (!) may want to revisit their choice. We were using older forum software that may not have tallied the votes properly. Case in point--it showed my vote for "The Joker" which is not what I would have chosen. I modified the poll so anyone who voted can now change their vote.

I can't recall what I chose in 2009 when the poll first posted, but I went with "Tim Dom Dom" as for some reason, that is a track I have always gravitated toward. And it's tough since "Berimbau," "O Pato," "Agua de Beber" and "Mas Que Nada" are also big favorites on the record as well. It's like any of Sergio's albums, though--I far prefer the Brazilian compositions over any cover version of non-Brazilian songs he has ever recorded, the exception being "Night and Day."

All I can say about "One Note Samba" is that the opening piano vamp hails back to his second album, Quiet Nights.

Thanks. My choice had been listed as "Agua De Beber" when I noted in the thread that I voted for "Mas Que Nada".

And my go-to version of this album is the exceedingly good MFSL version. As good as some pressings or CDs of the album are, nothing, NOTHING, compares to the MFSL version. It's sonic heaven.

The clarity beats any A&M-released version I've ever heard. If you want the cleanest version of this album, the MFSL is the one to beat. It was a total shocker to see it in the bin at the local audio store back when it was first released and although I rarely listened to Brasil '66 at that time, it was instant purchase. "I'll never see this again if I don't buy it today!" And I was right. None of the audiophile sections of the record stores near us ever stocked it. And today...forget about it. Most copies are over $100 now.

I noticed that Speakers Corner reissued it on vinyl, but of the two titles of theirs I have purchased in the past (which had major sound quality issues), I do not recommend anything from that label. It's a licensed reissue, but I wouldn't recommend this album until I've actually heard a pressing of it to see if it is any good.

In my opinion, Herb Alpert Presents SM & B66 is a logical continuation of his previous Brasil 65 album. Both albums feature Sergio's sparse arrangements which are neat and clean with no frills and affectations. Sergio's piano work is up front and sparkles. This strong instrumental foundation (thanks to Sergio, Bob, Joao, and Jose) enables Lani to shine on her vocal debut--no mean task. Therefore, HAP magnificently fulfills the old musical adage of "less is more", where getting more from fewer elements is the gold standard in music. Compare Sergio's sound in '66 with his sound in '69 with Chrystal Illusions and Ye Me Le. They are light years apart. By '69 Sergio's sound was loud and overproduced--so typical of the times.

Personally, I like all the tracks on the HAP album. They all have catchy melodies with a variety of tempos, and with a perfect blend of Portuguese and English lyrics. I especially like Day Tripper with its terrific middle portion which features Sergio solo interlude with nifty hand clapping in the background. It's so reminiscent of the Ramsey Lewis sound of 1966. Remember his "In Crowd" hit?

It should come as no surprise that HAP is the only album in Sergio's long career to make it into the Grammy Hall of Fame. And HAP is the only Brasil 66 album still in print in the USA, where you can buy a brand-new CD from all the big retailers.

Regarding the One Note Samba/Spanish Flea track: Of course, this is not the definitive recording of these two song classics. But the arrangement was meant to be quick, and playful, and fun. And Sergio did an A+ in this regard. I love his carefree arrangement. Take another listen to this medley as Lani and Janis lip sinc the tune on the Sergio documentary. I can't help but smile. And notably, the medley of One Note Samba/Spanish Flea has been performed in concert by Herb and Lani since they began touring in 2008. So I'm not the only guy to like this medley.

When LP's started disappearing, I managed to get some extra copies of Brasil' 66 at used record stores and thrift stores. I got lucky with this as I found copies in both stereo and mono. On CD, The first copy I bought was a Japanese issue and then it showed up on Verve and in the record club so I got that one as well. I have since gotten an extra in case it does go out of print and the copy I play in the car gets damaged. When I had accrued a bunch of purchase points from the record club, I used them to get extra Brasil'66 cd's and I donated them to a used book store and hopefully people have bought them.

This lushly produced "Mas Que Nada" music video with Lani and Janis must have been done right when EQUINOX was released, as there a companion video of "The Frog" with a huge close-up of a frog face about to splash into a pond. Seen for only a few seconds in "The Key of Joy", I have not been able to find it on YouTube.

Aside from some goofy shots done with a fish-eye lens, the group is pretty static with some lovely closeups of Lani's and Janis. Most welcome and advanced for the time is the participation of two sweaty black dancers who add an erotic charge. Does anyone know where this music video was used? I first thought it might have been a Scopitone, but it's far too sophisticated.

I've gained a little more appreciation for "One Note Samba/Spanish Flea" because Lani and Herb incorporated it into their Brasil '66 medley when we saw them in concert a couple of years ago. I thought it was kind of clever that they included Lani doing one of Herb's hits.

I'll have to try that edit that JOv2 mentions -- I still use "CD Architect" for edits, it is pretty handy for that even though I hardly ever burn CDs anymore.

I would have voted for Berimbau, but it has a syncing issue. at about 1:15 the singers sound out of sync when they sing:
Quem de dentro de si nĂŁo sai
Vai morrer sem amar ninguém
O dinheiro de quem não dá
É o trabalho de quem não tem
Has anyone else noticed that?

I came across another A&M-related site. And it said "Lani Hall sang all the female vocals on Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66" except "Aqua de Beber" performed by Janis Hansen." This peaked my interest. So I went to our website and in the thread "Lani's vocals, but" there was one message that said "One person reported that Sergio said Lani double-tracked all vocals on the album, but I could've sworn someone else asked Sergio prior to that, and he said that Janis is the one who sings the first verse of "Aqua De Beber." And so I played this track several times, and you know I think the first verse is sung by Janis. It had her higher voice and softer tone so similar to her singing the bridge portion of "For Me." Lani's voice was always of a slightly lower register. And yet, is was always amazing how similar their voices were and how well they blended together. This is my best guess of what may have happened.....Bibi Vogel, whom Janis replaced, due to a falling out with Sergio, left almost immediately after Brasil 66 was the opening act for the TJB in New York's Carnegie Hall on 4-12-1966. Sergio and the group went into the recording studio for the HAP album in May and June 1966 with only Lani on vocals. Janis was hired around then, but being so new she had no time to participate in the album and so Lani was double-tracked. However, perhaps Sergio and Herb said let's see what Janis can do singing in Portuguese and English on "Aqua De Beber"--sort of a practice run. She did so well that they left her first verse in on the final master tape. So yes, HAP would essentially be all Lani on vocals except for Janis musical snippet. You guys take a listen once more and see what you think---is it Janis or Lani? Regardless, it's an incredible vocal and a track worthy of of an album that's in the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across another A&M-related site. And it said "Lani Hall sang all the female vocals on Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66" except "Aqua de Beber" performed by Janis Hansen." This peaked my interest. So I went to our website and in the thread "Lani's vocals, but" there was one message that said "One person reported that Sergio said Lani double-tracked all vocals on the album, but I could've sworn someone else asked Sergio prior to that, and he said that Janis is the one who sings the first verse of "Aqua De Beber." And so I played this track several times, and you know I think the first verse is sung by Janis. It had her higher voice and softer tone so similar to her singing the bridge portion of "For Me." Lani's voice was always of a slightly lower register. And yet, is was always amazing how similar their voices were and how well they blended together. This is my best guess of what may have happened.....Bibi Vogel, whom Janis replaced, due to a falling out with Sergio, left almost immediately after Brasil 66 was the opening act for the TJB in New York's Carnegie Hall on 4-12-1966. Sergio and the group went into the recording studio for the HAP album in May and June 1966 with only Lani on vocals. Janis was hired around then, but being so new she had no time to participate in the album and so Lani was double-tracked. However, perhaps Sergio and Herb said let's see what Janis can do singing in Portuguese and English on "Aqua De Beber"--sort of a practice run. She did so well that they left her first verse in on the final master tape. So yes, HAP would essentially be all Lani on vocals except for Janis musical snippet. You guys take a listen once more and see what you think---is it Janis or Lani? Regardless, it's an incredible vocal and a track worthy of of an album that's in the Grammy Hall of Fame.

To me, the vocal is slightly different so maybe Janis did have the English vocal portion of the song.

I sought this LP out, after hearing Mas Que Nada on the Shure V 15 Type II test record. Asked the program director if there was an out of use or unused copy of the LP, I could have or borrow, he gave me all of their A&M albums in unplayed condition.

Yesterday afternoon I was watching a video show and there was a video of a "Chicken Fight" style of jousting. It was silly but the background music was Mas Que Nada and that caught my attention as I was in another room when that video started.

okay... I know the person who talked about the double tracking of Lani. He asked Sergio at a concert back in 2001 / 2002. He asked Sergio who was on the front cover and who actually sang on the album. Sergio said that it was "Lani and Lani". The album was recorded when Bibi was not available and Janis was not part of the group (yet) They wanted to get the album created FAST, so Lani sang both vocals.

Even though I may have chimed in on this Lp on other threads I will just say this is a perfect beginning to Brasil 66 all the songs flow freely and Harmoniously and knowing the circumstances as to Lani's vocals being Doubletracked I have to admit it was a clever move considering the circumstances I remember checking it out from the library a few times before I was finally able to score my own copy a couple years later and after wearing it out from excessive play The Verve CD reissue came in very handy I have to say I regret not being able to experience let alone Having access to the MFSL version that seems to be the preferred version. Nevertheless I'm satisfied with what I was able to obtain. This music was addictive from the start given I was 15 when I first heard this

Back
Top Bottom