The Recording Academy®
3030 Olympic Blvd. Santa Monica, CA 90404
www.grammy.com
For Immediate Release
NEWS RELEASE
THE RECORDING ACADEMY®
ANNOUNCES
2012 GRAMMY HALL OF FAME® INDUCTEES

Diverse Selection of 25 Recordings Added to Collection Residing at the GRAMMY Museum ®

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (Nov. 21, 2011) —

Continuing the tradition of preserving and celebrating great recordings, The Recording Academy® announces the newest additions to its legendary GRAMMY Hall Of Fame® collection. Highlighting diversity and musical excellence, the collection acknowledges both singles and album recordings of all genres at least 25 years old that exhibit qualitative or historical significance. Through a tradition established nearly 40 years ago, recordings are reviewed annually by a special member committee comprising of eminent and knowledgeable professionals from all branches of the recording arts, with final approval by The Recording Academy's National Board of Trustees. With 25 new titles, the list currently totals 906 and is displayed at the GRAMMY Museum®
"The Recording Academy is dedicated to celebrating a wide variety of great music and sound through the decades," said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy. "We are especially honored to welcome this year's selection of some of the most influential recordings of the last century. Marked by both cultural and historical significance, these works truly have influenced and inspired audiences for generations, and we are thrilled to induct them into our growing catalog of outstanding recordings."

Representing a great variety of tracks and albums, the 2012 GRAMMY Hall of Fame inductees range from Bruce Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A. album to civil rights activist Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have A Dream" speech from his historic 1963 address at the March on Washington. Also on the highly regarded list are Cole Porter's "Anything Goes," the Rolling Stones' album Exile On Main St., Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five's single "The Message," Bill Cosby's comedy album I Started Out As A Child, the Original Broadway Cast recording of "St. Louis Woman," and Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do With It." Others inductees include the entire Anthology Of American Folk Music, Gene Autry, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Doris Day, the Serge Koussevitzky-conducted Boston Symphony Orchestra, Los Panchos, Santana, and Paul Simon, among others.

For more information about the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame or the 54th Annual GRAMMY Awards® (to be broadcast live on Feb. 12, 2012, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on the CBS Television Network), please visit www.grammy.com. For updates and breaking news, please visit The Recording Academy's social networks on Twitter and Facebook: www.twitter.com/thegrammys, and www.facebook.com/thegrammys
For a complete list of GRAMMY Hall Of Fame inductees, please go to:
www.grammy.org/recording-academy/awards/hall-of-fame

Established in 1957, The Recording Academy is an organization of musicians, producers, engineers and recording professionals that is dedicated to improving the cultural condition and quality of life for music and its makers. Internationally known for the GRAMMY Awards — the preeminent peer-recognized award for musical excellence and the most credible brand in music —The Recording Academy is responsible for groundbreaking professional development, cultural enrichment, advocacy, education and human services programs. The Academy continues to focus on its mission of recognizing musical excellence, advocating for the well-being of music makers and ensuring music remains an indelible part of our culture. For more information about The Academy, please visit http://www.grammy.com. For breaking news and exclusive content, join the organization's social networks as a Twitter follower at http://www.twitter.com/thegrammys, a Facebook fan at http://www.facebook.com/thegrammys, and a YouTube channel subscriber at http://www.youtube.com/thegrammys .
# # #
Media Contact:
Jennifer Livingston
The Recording Academy
[email protected]

2012 GRAMMY Hall Of Fame Inductees

ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN
FOLK MUSIC
Various Artists Folkways (1952) Folk (Album)

"ANYTHING GOES" Cole Porter
(Cole Porter) His Master's Voice (1934) Pop (Single)

BORN IN THE U.S.A.
Bruce Springsteen Columbia (1984) Rock (Album)

"DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS" Gene Autry (June Hershey & Don Swander)
Decca (1942) Country (Single)

DÉJÀ VU
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Atlantic (1970) Rock (Album)

EXILE ON MAIN ST.
The Rolling Stones
Rolling Stones/Atlantic (1972)
Rock (Album)

"FIXIN' TO DIE"
Bukka White
(Bukka White)
Okeh (1940)
Blues (Single)

FOGGY MOUNTAIN JAMBOREE
Lester Flatt And Earl Scruggs
Columbia (1957) Bluegrass (Album)

GRACELAND
Paul Simon
Warner Bros. (1986) Pop (Album)

HERB ALPERT PRESENTS SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
A&M (1966)
Pop (Album)

"HOW LONG, HOW LONG BLUES"
Leroy Carr
(Leroy Carr)
Vocalion (1928)
Blues (Single)

"I HAVE A DREAM"
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Freedom March On Washington
20th Century Fox (1963) Spoken Word (Track)

I STARTED OUT AS A CHILD
Bill Cosby
Warner Bros. (1964) Comedy (Album)

"I WILL SURVIVE"
Gloria Gaynor
(Freddie Perren & Dino Fekaris) Polydor (1978) Disco (Single)

"KASSIE JONES"
Furry Lewis
(Walter "Furry" Lewis) Victor (1928) Blues (Single)

"KEY TO THE HIGHWAY"
Big Bill Broonzy (Big Bill Broonzy & Charles Segar)
Okeh (1941) Blues (Single)

"THE MESSAGE"
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Featuring Melle Mel And Duke Bootee
(Jiggs Chase, Melvin Glover, Sylvia Robinson & Edward Fletcher) Sugar Hill (1982)
Rap (Single)

MEXICANTOS
Los Panchos
Coda (1945) Latin (Album)

"PRECIOUS LORD, TAKE MY HAND"
Mahalia Jackson
(Thomas A. Dorsey) Columbia (1956) Gospel (Single)

"QUE SERA, SERA (WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE)" Doris Day (Jay Livingston & Ray Evans)
Columbia (1956)
Pop (Single)

ROY HARRIS SYMPHONY NO. 3
Serge Koussevitzky, cond. Boston Symphony Orchestra
RCA Victor (1940) Classical (Album)

SANTANA
Santana
Columbia (1969) Rock (Album)

ST. LOUIS WOMAN
Original Broadway Cast
Capitol (1946)
Musical Show (Album)

"WASTED DAYS AND WASTED NIGHTS"
Freddy Fender
(Freddy Fender & Wayne Duncan)
ABC-Dot (1975)
Country (Single)

"WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT"
Tina Turner (Terry Britten & Graham Lyle)
Capitol (1984)
Pop (Single)

It's about time "The Message" and Exile on Main Street made it into the HOF.

Great news.

Gosh, how many copies of Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 do I own?

Original LP SP-4116
MFSL Original Master Recording Gatefold LP MFSL 1-118
Brazilian Elenco reissue in mono ME-78 (without the "Herb Alpert Presents" in the title)

Japanese CD POCM-1879 from around 1993
US Verve CD reissue B0007428-02

plus a CD-R I made from the MFSL LP. So five official versions and some homemade copies.

Short but sweet - it's a classic album!

Harry

Yes Harry, we here at A&M Corner have known this for years. So what took the GRAMMY people so long? :D

They can only induct a small number per year. Still, it took too long. :D

(So when do we start lobbying for the Ethel Merman Disco Album? :biglaugh: )

Sadly missing are Herb's albums Whipped Cream, Going Places and Rise... Whipped Cream should at least be on the list!

Whipped Cream to me would be the only one that would be in the spirit of the HOF induction (under "historical significance"). Not that the other albums are any less musical or less liked, but the success and resulting popularity of this album is what kicked Herb's career and name recognition over the top, and firmly launched A&M as an independent label to be reckoned with. The cover itself was iconic, and many of us had grown up seeing this album in our parents' record collection. Many of the general public, in fact, recognize that album and the artist/band immediately upon seeing that cover, and remember the album fondly.

The first Brasil '66 album was notable due to the rearrangement Sergio Mendes did to Brazilian music in the US. We'd had bossa nova for years, jazz in a bossa nova style, or other variations on the same idea, but never had anyone do a "mash-up" or layering of styles that would redefine how this music could work for the younger generations. In Brasil '66 you had the obvious bossa nova, samba and jazz influences, but also a healthy taste of pop and rock as well (and as the liner notes once said, "...a little sex"). In addition to launching his career even further, his success at A&M enabled him to present us with other up and coming Brazilian artists such as Edu Lobo.

Glad that this "It's About Time" moment came for Sergio...!

He would otherwise be only known for Timeless and Encanto among whatever "young followers" there are of his career and can you really imagine THOSE being Inducted????!!!!

Agree that we should vouch for Herb Alpert TjB Whipped Cream..., least before Re-Whipped should ever become notarized, instead...

As for me, I would personally like to see Spirits & Worm perhaps gaining more recognition for the impact THAT cover should have made if we're talking 'historical significance' (HYSTERICAL significance, there) and if we're going to (jokingly) vouch for the Ethel Merman Disco Album to be added...! :yikes::razz:

-- Dave

I was just looking over the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame page and did a search for A&M entries. Here are all nine of them to this point, albums first, then singles:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A&M albums entered into the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame, sorted by year of induction:

SYNCHRONICITY
The Police
A&M (1983)
Rock (Album)
Inducted 2009

HERB ALPERT PRESENTS SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL '66
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
A&M (1966)
Pop (Album)
Inducted 2012

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A&M singles entered into the GRAMMY Hall Of Fame, sorted by year of induction:

THE LONELY BULL
The Tijuana Brass Featuring Herb Alpert
A&M (1962)
Pop (Single)
Inducted 1998

WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN
Carpenters
A&M (1970)
Pop (Single)
Inducted 1998

(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU
Carpenters
A&M (1970)
Pop (Single)
Inducted 2000

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS
Joe Cocker
A&M (1969)
Rock (Single)
Inducted 2001

A TASTE OF HONEY
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
A&M (1965)
Pop (Single)
Inducted 2008

ROXANNE
The Police
A&M (1978)
Rock (Single)
Inducted 2008

MANY RIVERS TO CROSS
Jimmy Cliff
A&M (1969)
Reggae (Single)
Inducted 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom