• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Rewhipped.jpg

Here's our official thread where you can place any and all comments about Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass' latest release on Shout! Factory, RE-WHIPPED, the updated, re-mixed version of the '60s classic WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS. Please vote in the poll for your favorite track on the album and tell us why.

After listening to this CD for several weeks now, my vote for favorite track goes to Whipped Cream. I can live in both worlds, the past and the present - I like both versions and the new doesn't detract from the original. It gets a great groove going (say that 3 times fast :D ) and Herb's new solos, counterpoint and the arrangement around the original version just work so well! That's my 2 cents worth.

Whipped Cream is, indeed, the groovealicious cut. I've listened to it 500 times. Lollipops and Roses is second.

Steve Sidoruk said:
After listening to this CD for several weeks now, my vote for favorite track goes to Whipped Cream. I can live in both worlds, the past and the present - I like both versions and the new doesn't detract from the original. It gets a great groove going (say that 3 times fast :D ) and Herb's new solos, counterpoint and the arrangement around the original version just work so well! That's my 2 cents worth.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. "Whipped Cream" is the track that grabs me. I fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for the rearrangement of tracks was that this one was so particularly good, and they wanted it first in the track listing.

Harry

You know, most of us won't be able to honestly vote until Tuesday when we'll finally be able to get this release...

--Mr Bill
frustrated searcher for pre-release versions

Mr Bill said:
You know, most of us won't be able to honestly vote until Tuesday when we'll finally be able to get this release...

--Mr Bill
frustrated searcher for pre-release versions

Yeah, I wanted to start it early since so many have checked in with advance copies. We should expect a flurry of activity come Tuesday, assuming people can find the release in stores.

Online deliveries from some sites can be a day or so ahead of time, so there might be some Monday arrivals.

Harry

I should get mine on Monday, we usually get our new releases then. Gives us a day to get them priced and ready. So I am waiting with the proverbial baited breath.

Can You guys let me know if there is a booklet or any other artwork with the CD when it arrives - mine didn't have either. I want to buy a second copy but don't want to unseal it unless there is a booklet in there, then I will have to buy a third copy!!!!!!!!!

Listen carefully to "Tangerine". A friend and I did so yesterday and we're convinced the new lyrics are rather unusual for the TJB.....

I admit that when I first heard about this project I was extremely skeptical. "How dare they mess with that album!" was running through my head. But after I got an advanced copy and started listening to this album I couldn't help but smile. I've mentioned this in another post, but this is really a solo Alpert album more than a TJB thing. And Herb sounds as if he was having a good time playing his horn over these rhythm tracks. In some cases, such as "Ladyfingers", it sounds better than the original album. "Lollipops & Roses" is my favorite track, as it's the jazziest tune on the album. "Whipped Cream" is a close second. What's neat about "Whipped Cream" is how they take the trombone riffs and make them funky! "Peanuts" is completely different, with Herb flying all over his horn. I'll probably be one of the few who will like "Butterball", the only track that has nothing in common with the original. It has a more Miles-like flavor to it. The same can be said for the middle section of "Green Peppers". On the other hand "Lemon Tree" doesn't seem to go anywhere, although the groove is similar to what David Bowie & Pat Metheny did on their "This Is Not America". And I could've done without the vocals on "Love Potion #9", it just doesn't seem to fit. But these are minor flaws. This is a fun CD that has yet to leave my player in the past month.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
… In some cases, such as "Ladyfingers", it sounds better than the original album.

For me that will take more than a little convincing, though I intend to keep an open mind until I hear the disc for myself.

Can You guys let me know if there is a booklet or any other artwork with the CD when it arrives - mine didn't have either.
Package spoilers! Read no further if you want to be surprised when you open it up.
There is no booklet. The package is a tri-fold digipak with a short paragraph by Herb, the credits from the original album, and new credits (including musician credits for the new parts). There's one more very nice (but small) picture of Bree on the inside, and a picture of a small can of "Re-Whipped" cream underneath the CD tray.

I'm about halfway through the album right now and I'm finding myself wishing that they'd forgot about "remixing" the record and just re-recorded the songs in the modern groove. The old tracks are a distraction sometimes. (Plus as has been noted, they are compressed and otherwise tinkered-with and often sound like crap.)

I liked "Whipped Cream" and "A Taste of Honey" a lot and I will say they definitely improved on "Peanuts," which I always hated on the original album. More later when I have heard the whole record.

Captain Bacardi said:
But after I got an advanced copy and started listening to this album I couldn't help but smile.

A little off-topic pet peeve: I find it interesting that after a couple of requests, and being the one who runs this d@mn website (and has been for nearly a decade), *I* couldn't even get an advance copy of this album! Can't say I'm all that enthused about supporting any future releases if I can't even get any material to work with (advance copy, press releases, etc.) in the first place. Am I supposed to pull this information out of online store listings and second-hand information, and/or beg my online friends and associates to make copies of this thing for me?

And yet, eBay sellers have advance copies for sale...

There is no booklet. The package is a tri-fold digipak with a short paragraph by Herb, the credits from the original album, and new credits (including musician credits for the new parts).

Thanks Mike, I must admit I was pretty dissapointed when I opened it up.The CD is o.k I suppose, but nothing special. And I don't understand why Herb is doing a remix when there are still CDs that haven't been reissued yet????????? Does this mean that this is the end of the reissue programme?

WOW! Why wouldn't Neil get an advance copy???

Maybe the A&M Corner is like the pretty girl that everyone thinks has a date but in reality no one will ask her.

Home sick in bed today, later amigos...............JO

"Lemon Tree" is great but why do these remixers insist on programming the bass to play the exact same note over and over and over and over and over and over through the whole song when the melody clearly demands a different bass note? I know it's all in the 'arrangement' but sheeeeez. This otherwise-great arrangement is marred by that same note repeated ad nauseum.

I share Neil's frustration on the advance copies. You'd think this site would be the first place they'd send promotional stuff, advance news of what's happening, etc. You'd think they'd LIKE the idea of having a buffer/liason between them and the public. But no, we get diddly.

It just galls me that I could have done a nice feature on the tijuanabrass.com home page, and I could not get a copy in time to do any good. It's totally useless for me to get one now. And yet, stores and reviewers are illegally dumping multiple copies of this on eBay, some of them unsealed and never listened to. IMHO, "promotion" means getting the music heard, and building a buzz about a new product...not creating 100% profit for those who could care less about the content.

How did the others go about getting their advance copies? Maybe there's a list or something. I remember when I was in college, we didn't get promos from A&M for a long time at out campus station because we weren't on "the List". I don't remember just exactly what had to be done, but we went to a college radio confewrence at Loyola University and met a campus rep from A&M and SHE got us squared away...

As I remember, A&M wasn't set up like a lot of the other record companies were, and it was difficult to get promotional material from them, until we were on "The List." Once that happenned, we had A&M stuff out the bazoo...and I have YSTSB and CONEY ISLAND promo copies as a result...the station didn't want to play them...

There's gotta be SOMEBODY to talk to about this oversight...and that's probably just what it is...

Dan

Just thought of something...have you talked to the director of promotion at S!F? Who's in charge of distribution?

Dan

I liked the song "Green Peppers" as my # 1 choice. The song "Whipped Cream" is # 2 & the song "Bittersweet Samba" # 3. The song "Green Peppers" reminded me of a song that Madonna did on the CD "Music" in 2002 but I can't think of the song but I did seen the video where Madonna is in the desert. You know the one that has a skipping noise or like a pause. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

DAN BOLTON said:
Just thought of something...have you talked to the director of promotion at S!F? Who's in charge of distribution?

Between us, we have a couple of contacts there. No biggie, BUT, it's too late to do anything about it now, in my opinion. Funny how I was easily able to get a pre-release copy of the new Sergio Mendes CD from Concord...

I expected the worst, because I don't know if I've ever heard a remix do justice to the original work (the "Verve Remixed" series comes closest). But I'm impressed at how natural the pairing of the TJB with modern musicians and DJs sounds. A big part of it, of course, is Herb's new trumpet parts. But even without them, I think this project would have been a highly respectable one. "Re-Whipped" is listenable at its worst, and at its best -- I'd have to agree that "Whipped Cream" and "Lollipops & Roses" are the high points -- it holds up as a fine piece of work in its own right, whether or not you're a fan of the original album. It certainly leaves Sergio Mendes' sorta-similar new album "Timeless" in the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom