1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

Herb Alpert - The Christmas Wish

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Rudy, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

The album came out when we were in Florida on vacation, and knowing my CD was at home waiting for me, I broke my usual Christmas rule and listened to it early via Amazon, and I'm glad I did. What a great album! It's so cool to hear Herb in this setting. We haven't seen a Christmas album like this in a long time.

The orchestrations are absolutely beautiful and Herb sounds as good as ever. How can a guy in his 80s keep getting better?

The only "downside" to it was the inclusion of "Santa Baby" which is a song I completely hate, but after listening to Herb's version I realized it was the words I hate, not the melody. So this is a winner.

Well done, Herb and all involved. I'm going to keep it off the CD player now until the Christmas season, so it'll almost sound brand new to me again the next time I play it.

Bobberman likes this.
  2. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

I just ordered my copy on the 3rd and I finally got the notice today that's it's been shipped I won't get it until next week ( unfortunately amazon has been very slow lately but it's my only way now) I will give my comments on the CD after it comes and I have given it a good listen.

3. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Update: I got my CD today and my goodness this is good stuff Lani did a great Heartfelt job singing on the title song and Herb improved Jesu Joy of man's desiring. By leaps and bounds although he didn't sing on the Christmas song this time around it is still a winner the whole CD is a winner and I like how he did a few medleys there too I think this Christmas album equals the excellence of his first one. VERY WELL DONE.

4. I received the album on double vinyl last week. The gatefold packaging is absolutely outstanding (lots of terrific pictures and great information) and the Christmas red vinyl is beautiful with great sound. The music itself is just off the charts. I own so much Christmas vinyl I can barely get through it all every year. Regardless this album will be in constant rotation for the next two and a half months. From the first song I was mesmerized by the album. It boasts wonderful arrangements and fantastic playing with tasteful and fun vocals. Herb Alpert is really a wonder. His sound is so wholly unique and his tone is as rich and beautiful as ever. So grateful this was released in the vinyl format. Keep hoping all of his albums from the last 25 years will eventually find their way to this format. Great job by all involved.

5. RichardWarner

RichardWarner Active Member Contributor

I've been meaning to post this for a long time. An obscure article that appeared in Google Books (I think the source was Billboard) included an interview with Herb when the 1968 album was released. Yes, the CD liner notes from a few years ago say the album was recorded in summer, as most holiday albums are. But the quote was that he kept remixing it well into October, and that put pressure on the production system to get the album released in time.