Herb Alpert's musical growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

I think that Herb Alpert is one the few old time jazz musicians who didn't get "stuck" in the era he was in when he was in his prime. He has always strived to be contemporary-and has done a good job at it, I might add! Once the TJB broke up, although they were a great group, Mr. Alpert didn't try to continue that same sound but moved on. Case in point, the RISE album. What was all the rage when he recorded it? Disco. What did he do? He made RISE a Disco-sounding record to keep up with the times. He made all his 1980s albums sound like 1980s jazz-at least to my ears. My dad bought 1996's SECOND WIND, and it sounds like mid-'90s jazz.
I think that if he were to do one more album, he'd succeed in continuing to achieve that goal. He'd probably use synthesizer programming and contributions, no doubt from today's top jazz musicians like Rick Braun, Peter White, and Dave Koz. :)

I don't think he'd jump completely on the $mooth Jazz bandwagon--if anything, he'd probably do something we wouldn't expect. I remember when it originally came out, North on South Street was certainly a different sound...and only later did we find out it was one of the prototypes of the melding of hip-hop and jazz. Sort of mirrored what Miles Davis had done decades earlier with Bitches Brew and, a bit later, adding funk to his jazz/rock.

I still wonder if Miles would have recorded Doo-Bop if Herb had not done North on South Street. Miles probably would have done it, since he was also not one to stand still musically. Doo-Bop does have some rap on it, but the album was also completed after Miles' death, which explains its uneven quality. If I understand it correctly, the trumpet parts were already recorded, and the backing tracks were created around them.

-= N =-
...where's Tommy?...

I remember that when Rise came out, HA was at pains to stress that it wasn't a disco record, just one you could dance to.

I'm not sure I'd want an album with synthesisers. I'd much prefer some straightforward improvisation - maybe a mix between Second Wind and Midnight Sun. Alpert is in fine form on Gato Barbieri's latest album and I really hope that we see some of this style on his next album.

Some years back there was talk of an album of standards with both Herb and Lani. Now that would be something - if it ever sees the light of day!

Stephen

Personally at this stage of things, I would like to hear Alpert recordings being done accoustic using many of the remaining A&M players. Some things could be totally arranged and others could be more off the cuff. Ms. Hall would sing some pieces. There would be covers and originals. It would be a two-CD set. I've got some originals :wink:
Paz amigos...Jay

My best idea for a new album: GO BRAZILIAN. Go for a contemporary Brazilian sound with some of the country's best and brightest. Not so much a remake of WARM either...more like the idea of FANDANGO, which was a modern-day take on Mexico (vs. the old world bullfights and tequila of the TJB).

-= N =-

Rudy said:
My best idea for a new album: GO BRAZILIAN. Go for a contemporary Brazilian sound with some of the country's best and brightest. Not so much a remake of WARM either...more like the idea of FANDANGO, which was a modern-day take on Mexico (vs. the old world bullfights and tequila of the TJB).

-= N =-

It would be a good follow-up to PASSION DANCE, which seemed to have quite a salsa flavor to it...but not a heavy-handed one. I'd be interested to hear a new Brazilian album...

Dan

Rudy said:
I still wonder if Miles would have recorded Doo-Bop if Herb had not done North on South Street. Miles probably would have done it, since he was also not one to stand still musically.

I think that Herb and Miles' music (before his death) was a lot similar than some want to believe. Herb was opening up a lot more on trumpet, and Miles had stated that he wanted his own music to reach more people than just the jazz radio stations. Herb was being played on black stations more than Miles was, and maybe that's why Miles asked Herb to do an album with him (according to the Q article). Too bad it never happened, if nothing more than having people like Stanley Crouch and Gary Giddens having major convulsions. :D

Doo-Bop does have some rap on it, but the album was also completed after Miles' death, which explains its uneven quality. If I understand it correctly, the trumpet parts were already recorded, and the backing tracks were created around them.

I thought Miles was around for the beginning of the sessions, but the album was completed after his death. I liked most of Doo-Bop, despite the rapping on it. It had some nice grooves on it.

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Tamba Trio - Classics

Stephen Vakil said:
I remember that when Rise came out, HA was at pains to stress that it wasn't a disco record, just one you could dance to.

Exactly. The demo tape of "Rise" was at a disco tempo, but Herb wanted to slow it down so people could dance close together. I considered it more "funk" than "disco". "Aranjuez" was disco, "Rise" was not.

I'm not sure I'd want an album with synthesisers.

I agree. He already did that with mixed results in the 80's. Why retread old ground?

Alpert is in fine form on Gato Barbieri's latest album and I really hope that we see some of this style on his next album.

His playing is certainly good on that album, but I don't know if I'd want an entire album of that style. But let's face it, Latin rhythms are his strong suit. A Brazilian album sounds pretty good, as long as he again doesn't redo things we've already heard before. I consider Herb more of an innovator, rather than a follower of styles.

Of course, at this point I'm ready for just about anything new from Herb right now! :D

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
I think that Herb and Miles' music (before his death) was a lot similar than some want to believe. Herb was opening up a lot more on trumpet, and Miles had stated that he wanted his own music to reach more people than just the jazz radio stations. Herb was being played on black stations more than Miles was, and maybe that's why Miles asked Herb to do an album with him (according to the Q article). Too bad it never happened, if nothing more than having people like Stanley Crouch and Gary Giddens having major convulsions. :D

ANYTHING that gets under Crouch's skin is good in my book!! :D (Anyone that parades Wynton that much gets under MY skin. :mad: ) Never did read that "Q" article though--that would have been interesting. Is it reprinted online somewhere?

Another thought: what about a new Herb album with Marcus Miller? What comes to mind are the two Miles albums Tutu and Amandla, Sanborn's Upfront and the couple of tracks on Another Hand, and Marcus's own couple of solo releases. I've always liked the backing that Miller has created.

I thought Miles was around for the beginning of the sessions, but the album was completed after his death. I liked most of Doo-Bop, despite the rapping on it. It had some nice grooves on it.

My favorite tracks on there are "Mystery", "High Speed Chase" and, especially, "Chocolate Chip" with its tight, funky James Brown groove. "Blow" is kind of neat; the rap wears on me a bit, although it's better than most. :confused:

-= N =-

Rudy said:
Never did read that "Q" article though--that would have been interesting. Is it reprinted online somewhere?

Don't know about that. I believe Martin sent me a copy of it a couple of years ago. I'll have to look for it. If it's short, I'll retype it here.

Another thought: what about a new Herb album with Marcus Miller? What comes to mind are the two Miles albums Tutu and Amandla, Sanborn's Upfront and the couple of tracks on Another Hand, and Marcus's own couple of solo releases. I've always liked the backing that Miller has created.

Not a bad idea at all. I liked Tutu, but wasn't all that crazy about Amandla. Marcus and Herb would be a good fit, and it would definitely be an urban sound, albeit a bit lighter than what Miles did.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Not a bad idea at all. I liked Tutu, but wasn't all that crazy about Amandla. Marcus and Herb would be a good fit, and it would definitely be an urban sound, albeit a bit lighter than what Miles did.

Sanborn's Upfront was a bit lighter, plus it had the Hammond B3. :D I have one of Marcus Miller's own recordings, and thought it was a LOT heavier than what he did with Miles...to the point of where I really didn't care for it.

But back to that B3 again...how about Herb in some kind of blues band? Oooh yeaaaah... :D

-= N =-

Rudy said:
...how about Herb in some kind of blues band? Oooh yeaaaah... :D

Perfect! Especially with that !#%$! mute stuck in his horn the last few albums...

--Mr Bill
whose "wow" meter hasn't been pegged by Herb since Fandango...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom