Herb & Gato - Together Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert appears on the new Gato Barbieri album Shadow Of The Cat, which was released yesterday (9/24). He plays trumpet on the title track, and also has an engineering credit. I plan on getting this CD later today, so I'll give more info afterwards.

Capt. Bacardi

Thanks for the tip. Herb apparently appears on three tracks on the album. Read all about it and hear some samples at the Peak Records bio/description of Gato:

http://www.peak-records.com/bios/gato.html

Harry
...who might be buying ANOTHER album this week, online...

Okay, I just finished listening to Gato's The Shadow Of The Cat, and I enjoyed this very much. It's somewhat similar to the Alpert-produced sessions that Gato did on A&M, but it's a more rhythmic setting. Some of these cuts could make it to the smoooooth jazz stations, but a lot of these are probably "too loud" for those stations - which is good. :wink:

As far as Herb's performance on the three tracks that he is on, he sounds great! The first song - "El Chico" - has Herb playing a muted solo, and I dare say it's one of his better jazz solos on record. He moves freely throughout the chord changes. He plays an open horn solo on the title track, and it sounds more like a flugelhorn than trumpet, but he sounds great nevertheless. The final song that Herb plays on is called "Para Todos", and again he plays through some nice changes, and spars a bit with Gato. This might be one track that gets played on a real jazz radio station. Very lively performances, to say the least. Definitely worth getting if you're a fan of Herb Alpert's!!!

This album was produced by Jason Miles, who did some work with Miles Davis, and did a great tribute album to Weather Report. He got Gato to do an updated version of Gato's famed "Last Tango In Paris". There are a couple of vocal tracks on this album as well, but they don't fit well with the rest of the album. That flaw aside, this is a strong album. It's released on Peak Records, which is distributed by Concord Jazz, which I thought had shut down. Wrong again. :rolleyes:

When I got this album, I happened to notice another new release by two former A&M alums - J.J. Johnson and Nat Adderley. The album is called Chain Reaction - The Yokohama Concert Part 2. The first album by these two gents was originally released in the late 70's on Pablo, and reissued on CD a couple of years ago.

Capt. Bacardi

I've just got my copy tonight. Having sampled a few tracks, I think it's well worth getting if you're a Gato or Herb fan. As the Captain says, Herb makes some very jazzy contributions which lead me to hope that marks the direction of his next album.

I have still to listen to the album in its entireity but what I have heard reminds me of Gato's A&M albums of the 1970's but with a more contemporary feel.

Stephen Vakil said:
I've just got my copy tonight. Having sampled a few tracks, I think it's well worth getting if you're a Gato or Herb fan. As the Captain says, Herb makes some very jazzy contributions which lead me to hope that marks the direction of his next album.

I agree. I'd like for Herb to do something similar to Gato's album. He sounds as if he's comfortable in that style, and played some nice lines. Just as long as he doesn't do another Colors... :rolleyes:

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom