HERB is #7 - GREATEST of ALL TIME Billboard 200 Artists

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great, but it's kind of a dumb list -- just listing the names with no information at all on any of them? Or even links to information, charts, etc.? I expect more of Billboard.

Then the music the samples they linked to aren't exactly great choices either, well except for "Route 101." No TJB songs at all...just solo stuff and "This Guy's In Love With You," and even that is tacked onto the very end.

At the end of the day, it's a nice list and it's nice to see Herb up there getting the credit he deserves, but the whole thing is really just click-bait for Spotify. Notice how many of the artists have no samples attached at all...it's because they aren't on Spotify.

Billboard has kind of "sold out" since the days I used to read it. But the main thing to keep in mind is that Billboard's list are all based on sales and/or airplay. It's not a rigged popularity contest like the Grammys, or a critic's choice award.

Herb got most of his chart action based on that run of TJB albums that took over the Top 10 of the album chart back in the day. Nobody since then has ever topped that feat. Given how sparsely albums are released today, it's probably never going to be repeated ever again. Back then, two albums (or even three) a year was a common occurrence. His individual albums may not have sold multi-millions each, but it's still impressive just by the sheer numbers (which put him at #7 in this Billboard list):

Throughout his career, Alpert has sold over 72 million records, and placed 28 albums in the Billboard 200, including five No. 1 singles. He has scored 14 platinum and 15 gold albums, and is the only artist ever to reach No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 as both a vocalist and instrumentalist, with 1968’s “This Guy’s In Love With You” and 1979’s “Rise,” respectively. With his group Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, the band garnered four albums in the Top 10.
Exclusive Song Premiere: Legendary Musician Herb Alpert's New Single 'Sneaky' »

On the "How It Works" button it says:

These all-time rankings are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 (from its launch on Aug. 4, 1958 through Oct. 10, 2015) and Billboard 200 (from Aug. 17, 1963 — when we combined our two leading pop album album charts for stereo and mono releases into one all-encompassing weekly chart — through Oct. 10, 2015). Titles are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower rungs earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are ranked based on the combined point totals, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 or Billboard 200 chart entries.

There are a few songs missing on the list. The biggest one is "The Lonely Bull" at No. 6, which is probably missing due to the artist name being different. According to Whitburn (and the record label itself), "The Lonely Bull" was credited to "The Tijuana Brass featuring Herb Alpert". And "This Guy's In Love With You" is missing because the single lists just Herb Alpert as the artist.

And despite all this in many of the on line trumpet player forum lists of the all time great trumpet players Herb usually never even shows up in the list. I am sure his music along with Al Hirt on TV shows got me interested in playing the trumpet in Jr and Sr high.

The EXTRA credit, is: I'll bet he's one of the few -if not the *ONLY*- artist(s) now with a 50+year, active resumé...STILL making "creatively relevant" music with no age limit. Can't say that for the '60s rock 'n rollers, much, anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom