1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

Herb & Lani in Nashville

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Ann Kopfer, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Ann Kopfer

Ann Kopfer Member Thread Starter

Just came home from their concert at the City Winery in Nashville. It felt like Herb, Lani, Bill, Hussein, & Michael were performing in someone's home. Relaxed & Informal, musicianship top notch as always. Lani's vocals always on. They pulled some old video footage from the TJB & Sergio Mendes/Brazil 66 days while they did a medley of familiar tunes. Herb joked that Nashville was their "focus group" with these videos that worked well. Played a variety of material including a lot of Antonio Carlos Jobim tunes. I wish they played longer. I would of stayed all night!

Ronnie Madrid likes this.
  2. LPJim

LPJim Well-Known Member Moderator

Glad you enjoyed. I was there too and was gratified to see a large and enthusiastic turnout. This was my 3rd occasion to see H&L. Exactly eight years ago -- 9/26/09 -- I saw them for the first time in Brookfield, Wisconsin, near Milwaukee. The following day I saw them again in Naperville, Illinois.

Last night I especially enjoyed the extended piano solo from "I've Got You Under My Skin" and the Jobim medley (including "Girl From Ipanema," "Wave," "Dinji," "Quiet Nights" and "One Note Samba"
    -- with 'Spanish Flea.')

This touring ensemble functions quite smoothly as one would expect after over eight years. The Winery is the perfect atmosphere such intimate shows and has become a favorite destination in Music City.

JB

PS: Uploaded my android video of "Puttin' on the Ritz" on Facebook. Added "I've Got You Under My Skin" -- but it took a while due to the length.

James Burkhart Brent

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Ronnie Madrid likes this.
  3. LPJim

LPJim Well-Known Member Moderator

With a new album and reissue series it was surprising there was no merchandise available in the lobby at the Nashville show. While transporting t-shirts and discs is cumbersome, not doing so is a missed opportunity. I'm sure many in the audience would have been delighted to pick up a few items. Especially since I've yet to see 'MUSIC VOLUME ONE' in a retail store at home. Luckily I ordered it online and had in in tow for the occasion. ~ JB

DSC02228.JPG

DeeInKY, Ronnie Madrid and martin like this.
  4. I agree in regards to the lack of merchandise available at H&L concerts. My wife and I saw them in Cincinnati this past May. They had copies of about six cds from throughout Herb’s career for $10.00 each and nothing else. Definitely a missed opportunity in my mind, but I suppose it’s indicative of the fact that they simply don’t need the money. I’m not quite sure what to make of it actually, but it undoubtedly saved me a little cash. I would have bought a t-shirt or program (or both) had they been available.

LPJim likes this.