Herb & Lani in Nashville

Just came home from their concert at the City Winery in Nashville. It felt like Herb, Lani, Bill, Hussein, & Michael were performing in someone's home. Relaxed & Informal, musicianship top notch as always. Lani's vocals always on. They pulled some old video footage from the TJB & Sergio Mendes/Brazil 66 days while they did a medley of familiar tunes. Herb joked that Nashville was their "focus group" with these videos that worked well. Played a variety of material including a lot of Antonio Carlos Jobim tunes. I wish they played longer. I would of stayed all night!

Glad you enjoyed. I was there too and was gratified to see a large and enthusiastic turnout. This was my 3rd occasion to see H&L. Exactly eight years ago -- 9/26/09 -- I saw them for the first time in Brookfield, Wisconsin, near Milwaukee. The following day I saw them again in Naperville, Illinois.

Last night I especially enjoyed the extended piano solo from "I've Got You Under My Skin" and the Jobim medley (including "Girl From Ipanema," "Wave," "Dinji," "Quiet Nights" and "One Note Samba"
-- with 'Spanish Flea.')

This touring ensemble functions quite smoothly as one would expect after over eight years. The Winery is the perfect atmosphere such intimate shows and has become a favorite destination in Music City.

JB

PS: Uploaded my android video of "Puttin' on the Ritz" on Facebook. Added "I've Got You Under My Skin" -- but it took a while due to the length.

James Burkhart Brent

Last edited:
With a new album and reissue series it was surprising there was no merchandise available in the lobby at the Nashville show. While transporting t-shirts and discs is cumbersome, not doing so is a missed opportunity. I'm sure many in the audience would have been delighted to pick up a few items. Especially since I've yet to see 'MUSIC VOLUME ONE' in a retail store at home. Luckily I ordered it online and had in in tow for the occasion. ~ JB

DSC02228.JPG

With a new album and reissue series it was surprising there was no merchandise available in the lobby at the Nashville show. While transporting t-shirts and discs is cumbersome, not doing so is a missed opportunity. I'm sure many in the audience would have been delighted to pick up a few items. Especially since I've yet to see 'MUSIC VOLUME ONE' in a retail store at home. Luckily I ordered it online and had in in tow for the occasion. ~ JB

DSC02228.JPG
I agree in regards to the lack of merchandise available at H&L concerts. My wife and I saw them in Cincinnati this past May. They had copies of about six cds from throughout Herb’s career for $10.00 each and nothing else. Definitely a missed opportunity in my mind, but I suppose it’s indicative of the fact that they simply don’t need the money. I’m not quite sure what to make of it actually, but it undoubtedly saved me a little cash. I would have bought a t-shirt or program (or both) had they been available.

Back
Top Bottom