Herb & Lani to Appear with Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Herb Alpert & Lani Hall will celebrate 50 Years of Brasil '66 with Sergio Mendes at the Hollywood Bowl on August 12 & 13. There will be other guests as well.

Two circumstances could make this very good news even more exciting: 1. If the "other guests" included other members of Brasil '66 and the Tijuana Brass, especially John Pisano, who played extensively with both groups. 2. If the whole show went on a nationwide tour!

Charles

Sorry to rain on your parade, but these things rarely happen the way fans dream about.

1. Sergio's world tour has been on-going from the start of this year.
2. These are the guests: Sergio Mendes, Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, Thomas Wilkins, conductor,
Viver Brasil, Angel Blue, Herb Alpert, special guest, Lani Hall, special guest, Dianne Reeves, special guest
Romero Lubambo, special guest
3. The Brasil '66 50th Anniversary is being tied into the Olympics in Rio.

You can see the Hollywood Bowl site here:

An Olympic Carnival Sergio Mendes & 50 Years of Brasil ‘66 | Hollywood Bowl »

I wonder if there's a chance this would be recorded for video (or live-audio) release? I would be a customer for sure.

Does Mendes still consistently use a rapper in his band? If the answer is yes, for me I'll pass on any such concert and listen to the classic arrangements from the original Brasil 66. Mendes in his career has at various times veered away from his classic Brazilian roots far too may times with the overuse of synthesizers, disco or rap to no personal musical advantage.

He jumps on the latest trends and has been doing that since 1970 when he released Stillness which was hugely influenced by the singer-songwriter phase we were in at that time.

Apparently someone on social media has been indicating that this will be Herb & Lani's show at Hollywood Bowl. IT IS NOT.
It is Sergio's show and Herb & Lani may just do a couple of tunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom