Herb's "Human Nature" Track Listing and Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to "Doodles" right now. Wow, there are some TJB elements in there....harmony trumpet and a little trombone! Catchy tune.

Just sampled the "Doodles" track and was going nuts trying to think of another track of which it reminded me. See "Fun House" on My Abstract Heart. At least some of the riffs of it.

Yep, I thought the same.

I think the cover is cool myself. Herb did these little sculptures a few years back called The Musicians - it was three musicians similar to the cover photo who were in a circle playing horns, and I always thought that would be a neat cover.
Captain B: The sculpture on the cover is new?

I really don't know about that. He sculpts so much it's hard to pinpoint when he actually did something. If you've seen the documentary Music For Your Eyes there's a part in the beginning and around the 20:30 mark where he talks about "The Musicians" piece and it's similar to what the cover art of the album is.

These days an "album" is usually at least 40 minutes, so if this one is less, that could be why they're calling it an EP.

Just listened to the track. Spoke to some folks yesterday who weren't aware that Herb was still recording. They scurried away to see what they could order.

He's had a few periods in the past where he wasn't recording much, but lately it's been something nearly every year. There was a four year lull between Midnight Sun and Second Wind, and other than some solos on the Rewhipped remix album, there was nothing between Colors and Anything Goes (a 10 year stretch).

Heck, back in the TJB days, as it was for many bands and artists in that era, two or even three albums per year was normal.

I'm tempted to check out the preview track, but I'm going to wait for the album. I'd rather the whole thing be new on the first listen.

I usually always wait until i get the whole album to hear it and that way it always gives me something to look forward to.

I'm just thankful that Herb is doing new music this late in the game. I remember an interview from a few years ago where he and Lani were talking about touring and recording again, and they both hit the nail right on the head: "If not now, when?"
Not meaning to get too serious here, but I think we all could take a lesson from Herb (and Lani): You're never "too old"...

Yeah, I keep telling people, "Go see those 70s bands now...in another 10 years we'll mostly only have tribute bands to represent that era."

Yep. First bands that come to my mind: Little River Band, Chicago and Styx. No originals left in LRB, only Lamm and the brass section of Chicago, and JY of Styx.

And then there are the ones who still record, but sound like they need to give it up.

Thankfully, Herb's still got it.

The trailer is just a teaser. But the album is phenomenal. There are no 'dud' tracks on it. My least favorite was "Thalia", and it was at least listenable. The new versions of "Human Nature" and [my personal favorite] "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" are as good as any record he has ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom